Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst hotel/hostel you've ever stayed in

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Just talking to Mrs Shingle about the worst hotels we've stayed in, has to be a toss up between

a) The Old City Youth Hostel, Jerusalem - a family of mice living under the bed, and somebody had just written WHY in giant letters on the wall

b) The Central Hotel, Macau - the room hadn't been cleaned for years and was alive with 20 varieties of buglife, didn't try the bed, just sat up all night.

c) The Lakeview Hotel, Pushkar, India - An open drain taking effluent from the showers ran right through the room.

Anyone else got any stories

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
a very dodgy hostel in Amsterdam, that I had pre-booked and arrived at very last minute in the middle of the night

Attachments

• dodgy.jpg
    dodgy.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 185

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Stayed in a shocking place in Greece.

Supposedly a "villa", when we arrived the owner told me it's really shit but if I threw him a few hundred euros he would sort me out.

We had couple of days of sun, then the rest of fortnight we were lucky enough to experience one of the biggest rainfalls in modern Greek history.

The villa was damp, the beds were damp and mould was growing up the side of the wall.

Once it had stopped raining, the water from the mountains continued to flow throught the island bringing turning the main highway into a river.

Towards the end of the holiday it brightened up, but my wife slipped on a pavement and broke her leg.

No hospital in the island so she had to sit there in agony that night until I could get her to the doctors the next day.

The doctors set her leg (very badly) and after managing to get her to the airport, I found there were no wheelchairs and the coach driver has decided to dump our suitcases half a mile away.

I left her on the steps of the airport whilst I went on a couple of trips in the blazing sun (yes the weather improved) to find the luggage.

The London based tour operator had promised us assistance at the airport, but as soon as we got through passport control they f*cked off and we realised they didn't have any kind of lift to assist her on the plane.

They came up with what I can only describe as sudan chair, in which they were going to carry her up the stairs with.

My wife told them in so uncertain times to f*ck off and she made her own up backwards on her arse.

On getting into the plane the tour operators had also forgotten to tell the aircraft that somebody with a recently broken leg was travelling.

Intially they didn't want to take us, but after a bit of persuasion they agreed. I sat her in the front with the extra leg room, only then to be abused by some other passengers who had paid extra for the priviledge (seriously)

On arriving at Gatwick, again the tour operators has forgotten to inform them so we were stuck in the tunnel coming off the plane (with her on the floor) for a good half hour, whilst I banged on a glass partition trying to get the attention of another airlines staff.

Eventually they came and got us, but we couldn't find a taxi driver who was willing to take us into central London. One felt sorry for us and eventually agreed to take us to St. Thomas's.

Nearly got to the hospital but a tire blew near Vauxhall bridge :D

I got her out onto the pavement and had to flag down another to take us the extra mile.

Absolute nightmare.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Stayed in a shocking place in Greece.

Supposedly a "villa", when we arrived the owner told me it's really shit but if I threw him a few hundred euros he would sort me out.

We had couple of days of sun, then the rest of fortnight we were lucky enough to experience one of the biggest rainfalls in modern Greek history.

The villa was damp, the beds were damp and mould was growing up the side of the wall.

Once it had stopped raining, the water from the mountains continued to flow throught the island bringing turning the main highway into a river.

Towards the end of the holiday it brightened up, but my wife slipped on a pavement and broke her leg.

No hospital in the island so she had to sit there in agony that night until I could get her to the doctors the next day.

The doctors set her leg (very badly) and after managing to get her to the airport, I found there were no wheelchairs and the coach driver has decided to dump our suitcases half a mile away.

I left her on the steps of the airport whilst I went on a couple of trips in the blazing sun (yes the weather improved) to find the luggage.

The London based tour operator had promised us assistance at the airport, but as soon as we got through passport control they f*cked off and we realised they didn't have any kind of lift to assist her on the plane.

They came up with what I can only describe as sudan chair, in which they were going to carry her up the stairs with.

My wife told them in so uncertain times to f*ck off and she made her own up backwards on her arse.

On getting into the plane the tour operators had also forgotten to tell the aircraft that somebody with a recently broken leg was travelling.

Intially they didn't want to take us, but after a bit of persuasion they agreed. I sat her in the front with the extra leg room, only then to be abused by some other passengers who had paid extra for the priviledge (seriously)

On arriving at Gatwick, again the tour operators has forgotten to inform them so we were stuck in the tunnel coming off the plane (with her on the floor) for a good half hour, whilst I banged on a glass partition trying to get the attention of another airlines staff.

Eventually they came and got us, but we couldn't find a taxi driver who was willing to take us into central London. One felt sorry for us and eventually agreed to take us to St. Thomas's.

Nearly got to the hospital but the a tire blew near Vauxhall bridge.

I got her out onto the pavement and had to flag down another to take us the extra mile.

Absolute nightmare.

Apart from that....did you enjoy your holiday...?

PS; Thanks for the info about the aquarium etc

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Actually quite the worst place I've stayed in was a hotel in Amsterdam last year.

Went with some others to a conference and they refused to pay for a nice hotel.

The Hummingbird Hotel, just off the French Quarter in New Orleans. A brawl broke out in the bar as we walked in, so we said "THIS is the place for us".
Cockroaches that goosestepped across the room all night. A pall of moist heat hung in the room, air condition? don'tmakeuslaugh.

It was perfect, and you could park on a meter for three days without getting a ticket because even the ob wouldn't venture into the area.

As hotels went it was terrible, but for the experience - I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
That would be this one in Puerto Cabezas on Nicaragua's east coast. Was clean enough but as hot as an oven. Only a couple of rooms had air conditioning - ours didn't - but the hot air exhaust from one unit blew directly into our room. We were given a fan - which naturally didn't work. This here is my friend Oscar sitting on his bed. He is from the Congo and didn't bat an eyelid when asked to sleep on a bed with a plastic cover in that heat.

We were fairly safe though as a member of staff sat outside our rooms each night with a gun on his lap.

Hospedaje02.jpg

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Been lucky not to stay in too many shit tips. The two that stick out are;

Holiday Inn, Memphis, where I'm fairly sure the room next to ours was being used for dealing drugs.

Quality Inn Birmingham. Room the size of a shoe box, mouldy ceiling, dirty and to make matters worse dodgy beer from the bar. The only saving grace was that because the bathroom was so small I could sit on the toilet and throw up in the sink at the same time.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
too many too even remember

3 that stand out

An old ladies house somewhere in Bulgaria who was renting a room out. It stank of old people, piss and biscuits and she stole my jumper

Cant remember where, some place on the West coast of southern Mexico. It was full of cockroaches, this f***ing massive cricket nearly a footlong (honest) which lived on the ceiling and launched itself at my ex every time she sat on the loo (in the room with no curtain/walls anything), no locks and fecking chickens popping in and out on when they felt like it cos the door didnt have a handle never mind a lock. Oh and a couple of used condoms on top of the unemptied bin. It was only about 30p a night so I guess you get what you pay for

12 years ago in Dahab at Sinbad camp. No Window. No Fan or a/c. Sharing with a gay guy, 2 x concrete beds with those 1" thick blue mattresses which you (allegedly) get in the cells. Cheap as chips though

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Oh and when we went to Portugal for Euro 2004
Got to Lisbon 3 hours before kick off (think it was the croatia game)

No where to stay and not much money. Everywhere was totally booked until we asked some woman in the street and she managed to get us a "room" in the student halls. It was really shocking but did the job.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
I Never Stayed There But Allegedly Brighton Had The Worst B&B In The Country. It Was The Infamous George Hamilton IV B&B At The Bottom Of Rock Gardens In Kemptown. The Place Was A Pit And The Manager A Complete Basil Fawlty. Can Anyone Confirm?

Have I Got The Place Name Right?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have stayed in some pretty ropey places during my travels, some could barely be described as hotels or hostels but had an earthy charm to them which added to the experience, that is what travel is all about in my opinion. There is however one that sticks permanently in the memory, the Hotel Illampu in La Paz (Bolivia). They have these really odd showers where the heating element for the water is in the showerhead...the Bolivians don't seem to understand the saying about it not being a good idea to mix electricity and water...needless to say it resulted in numerous electric shocks, nothing serious enough to risk death, more like when you touch an electric cattle fence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here