Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst gigs of your life

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having just written up about Hunter and Ronson, being the worst gig ever, what's yours?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Anna Calvi @ Concorde2 - The most dreary, dull, whiny show I've ever been to. The only decent thing about it was the auxillary percussionist playing lots of 'instruments' I'd never seen before.

Lighthouse Family @ Portsmouth Guild Hall - brilliant on CD, but just dull live and repeated the chorus just one too many times at the end of EVERY song. Also we were seated, had a poor view and less leg room than Anfield.

The Straits @ Concorde2 - Not very good anymore and they didn't say a word to the audience. I refuse to listen to any of their music now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I went to a PWEI gig in Preston many moons ago, and about 40 mins in some bloke threw a pint at the vocalist. He was so pissed off that he f***ed off and that was it, half way through the set.

Personally I was more pissed off with the band than the bloke who threw the pint. The selfish wanker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lighthouse Family @ Portsmouth Guild Hall - brilliant on CD, but just dull live and repeated the chorus just one too many times at the end of EVERY song.

Really, I find that hard to believe.

:lolol: :lol: :lolol: punk:
I wish I'd been outside with my 'magic bean' stall.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I went to see Roots Manuva at Brighton Racecourse for some dusk till dawn hip hop and drum and bass night. He was incredibly stoned and mumbled through two songs before dissapearing off stage.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Bob Dylan at the MEN Arena a few years ago. Every song sounded the same, even the classics. Self indulgent crap.

Fortunately he finished before 9.30 pm so we got home early.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Robert Plant at the Brighton Centre years and years ago. Just a parody of himself and boy did he love himself

Man - a very highly rated heavy metal Welsh band at the Dome. So shit I left after two songs, not being a fan of heavy metal mave have influenced my opinion of them

Dylan at Wembley in the Punk era, trying to out punk the punks - Crap

Van Morrison at the Dome - 35 mins and no acknowledgement of the crowd whatsover. In fairness the music was good, it was just his demenour and attitude - surly Irish Navvy

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think I've probably played at the worst gig I've ever been to...
They don't count! I've played some shockers over the years, one at the Free Butt stands out in particular: a 'crowd' of about six, one of whom was a very pissed woman who kept shouting "You're shit! f***ing shit!" between every song.

My own choice would by Bob Dylan at Hop Farm this summer. Absolutely shocking.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Went to a Ornette Coleman concert at the Dome about 1965.I thought I would give Avant-Garde Jazz ago. Hated it and walked out at the interval.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I was at Rainbow's 'notorious Wembley Arena riot' gig in Feb 1980: The Clock That Went Backwards Again: Rainbow - 1980-02-29 - London

In fact the 'riot' - sparked by Ritchie Blackmore's refusal to come back for an encore, allegedly because he went into a strop after support band Samson did play an encore - was really no more than a bit of seat luzzing.

What made it bad for me wasn't the riot but the show itself, which was f**king dreadful. The sound was absolutely appalling - all echoes and inaudible aural mush - and then the one-hour set of 'tunes' consisted of a 45-minute Cozy Powell drum solo and not much else.

I guess I should have been forewarned by seeing the name 'Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow' on the ticket.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Saw Stan Webb at the Half Brick in Worthing a few years ago. He was so pissed he could barely stand up let alone play properly. His band carried him (almost literally) for the mercifully short set.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Grace Jones, Brighton Centre some time in the early 90's. Free tickets from work, she was shite. Straddled a chair in front of the black stage curtain with her backing tracks being played over the tannoy system.

After the first song, which was sung so badly at least half the crowd left, she was only using the downstairs area, I distinctly remember turning round as we left and could see the stage at the front through a very thin crowd.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been to see a band called Nine Black Alps twice live, they're terrible. Absolutely terrible. The things you do in the pursuit of happiness.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Quo Vardis, supporting Slade at the Centre. They were cack and then the lighting rig failed for Slade and they did the gig with the main hall lights on!!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
PIL in Blackpool Rebellion festival, was bloody awful, tried for nearly 2 hours to like it as its Johnny, but was crap, each song lasted about 15 mins and all sounded the same after a while.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Gong...bloody hell.

I was persuaded to go by friends who claimed that they were brilliant, inspirational, influential etc.

They were shit. Just unmitigated crap. Their level of uber-hippydom did at least provide some entertainment - it was funny. I looked around for others who were sharing the joke, but no, people were taking them seriously.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Grace Jones, Brighton Centre some time in the early 90's. Free tickets from work, she was shite. Straddled a chair in front of the black stage curtain with her backing tracks being played over the tannoy system.

After the first song, which was sung so badly at least half the crowd left, she was only using the downstairs area, I distinctly remember turning round as we left and could see the stage at the front through a very thin crowd.
i had the misfortune to be at that gig in 1990. It wa woeful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here