The World Chico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let's be clear - there are 10 t-shirts up for grabs here - 1 a week for the next few weeks.

The fact I do not have a single idea yet is disturbing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bozza said:
Let's be clear - there are 10 t-shirts up for grabs here - 1 a week for the next few weeks.

The fact I do not have a single idea yet is disturbing.

How about a prize for the best anagram of 'David Lee'

EVIL DEAD

THPP Wins! :clap: :clap2: :clap:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
how about "guess how many drawing pins in my pot" then we make a guess and the closest is the winner! something like that

I've just typed "Answer to Bozza's Competition" into google and up popped this:-

The Buffalo News/Monday, May 11, 1992
Toronto composer wins sax competition
By Herman Trotter, News Music Critic

May I have the envelope please?

And the winner of the International Composition Competition is...Toronto-based composer Chan Ka Nin for his Saxophone Quartet subtitled Among Friends. The blue ribbon is worth $4,000 plus several repeat performances.

The winning quartet opens with spiky textures formed from stark polyphonic lines and staccato attacks, and progresses over its 14-minute duration to a much more serene closing ground. At the end we hear slow, sweet pulsing sound patterns, a suggestion of pentatonic scales and some truly delicious close harmonies.

But its not a continuous, gradual journey from acrid to sweet, and other strong impressions left in the wake of Sundays performance are of fast running lines and a generally high energy level.

The work also presents some abrupt contrasts. Along the music's clearly marked roadway we heard a consonant unison passage interrupted by contentious counterpoint, a lyrical soprano sax solo over pulsing figures, a dreamy section emerging from slow tenor and alto solos, a few bent pitches injected for spice, and a return to energetic, cacophonous interchanges just prior to the rather calming denouement.

The subtitle Among Friends refers to the process of give and take required of chamber musicians in learning how to play together. Its something quite well mastered by the ASQ members, because the balance and ensemble in performing Nin's difficult quartet were virtually flawless. (Click for additional Chan Ka Nin review.)

A remarkable but wholly unexpected similarity linked the opening two works on the program. J.C. Bach's Sinfonietta in C, as transcribed by ASQ baritone Harry Fackelman, was an example of jaunty post-baroque music in a nicely balanced and somewhat understated context, with sweetly keening themes and a highly amiable, unruffled demeanor all the way.

Leila Lustig's 1983 The Language of Bees is clearly indebted to jazz but also speaks with the same soft tongue and genial manner that seemed to guide Fackelmans transcription of the J. C. Bach work.

The four movements attempt musical depictions of various bodily gyrations with which honey bees communicate. Gentle and more animated trilling sounds on both narrow and wide intervals abound in teh first and third movements, interrupted once by a rude noise indicating the intrusion of a skunk in the apiary.

The second movement, Slow Drag for Drones, was trill-less but rooted in soft, appealing jazz allusions, while the finale presented a slow alto solo over blues harmonization, with spiraling figures leading to the familiar trills again in the coda.

Although this is appealing music on a rather original concept, there is a certain similarity of texture throughout whichlimits its distinctiveness of musical profile.

To open the concert, the ASQ members had sashayed into the hall from the rear playing an unannounced ricky-ticky rag. And after a closing group of jazz/rag numbers, they exited in like manner, with the Pink Panther Theme accompanied by audience finger-snapping. Highlights of that final group for this long-time listener were a dawn and dirty blue version of Thelonious Monks Blue Monk, Eudie Blakes Charleston Rag, with superb ensemble and Fackelmans baritone scampering up and down the scale, and ASQ alto Russ Careres Jilly Bean Walk, with its rapibly sauntering gait, delightful syncopation, and unexpected silences.

Since we now know what the answer is, I guess it's now up to Bozza to come up with the question - and we can all get going.

:)

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Attachments

• pompom man.jpg
    pompom man.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 160

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Can I have one cause I dont post very much any more

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Could it be something that last's for 24 hours or a week or something? as some people post at different times and might miss it, so its fair for everyone

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
an indurance test , who can stay on NSC the longest!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
How about the poster whose family history can be traced furthest back directly connected to the Albion?

Hmmmm, I wonder who would win that. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here