Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean Years DVDs

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I got it for Christmas but life has been a bit of a mess since then, so still have not had a chance to sit and watch - looking forward to it as soon as possible

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I enjoyed the disc...but there again I have the Gillingham years on DVD...dire football,but it is part of our history and like watching it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I enjoyed the disc...but there again I have the Gillingham years on DVD...dire football,but it is part of our history and like watching it.

A relative saw us watching the "highlights" video of the 97-98 season at Christmas and remarked "is this one of those football bloopers videos?"

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
just finished watching all 3 discs in a row, absolutely fantastic viewing and brought a tear to the eye...I love this club!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Easily my favourite birthday present. Only seen disc one so far but I've loved what I've seen so far.

I can see it being a valuable educational tool for my son in years to come!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Just bouncing this having picked up said DVD on Saturday. It's now only £22.

What a fantastic piece of work. Fantastic interviews, well edited and beautifully capturing the essence of our time at the theatre of trees.

The chats with Leon Knight and Dean Wilkins are particularly entertaining with Deano's chat almost moving me to tears - along with several other moments regarding our fight for a new home.

Every fan (especially our new STHs) should watch this.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
The DW saga:

Despite the soft spoken persona and loyalist to us, behind the scenes, he could became nasty to one or 2 of the better players, showing them up in front of the squad. Surprising, but true.

Out of respect, that employment issue, wasn't going to get mentioned in a heart-warming DVD.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The DW saga:

Despite the soft spoken persona and loyalist to us, behind the scenes, he could became nasty to one or 2 of the better players, showing them up in front of the squad. Surprising, but true.

Out of respect, that employment issue, wasn't going to get mentioned in a heart-warming DVD.

No, but it's a credit to the club that they let the guy have his say in an official DVD. He comes out looking hard done by which I still think he was. DW was charged with bringing through the youth and that meant going head-to-head with the established firm of Cullip, Oatway, Hart and Chippy. Not something anyone would relish.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, but it's a credit to the club that they let the guy have his say in an official DVD. He comes out looking hard done by which I still think he was. DW was charged with bringing through the youth and that meant going head-to-head with the established firm of Cullip, Oatway, Hart and Chippy. Not something anyone would relish.

Did a good job in some respects, but unless your Fergie, football moves on.

No doubt the commute from Hove to Southampton is galling, in comparison to little drive to Sx University.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Nobody doubts Wilkins' skills as a coach. He's proved himself again at Southampton.

Never a manager and perhaps should never have got the job in the first place.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I particularly liked the interview with Mark McGhee. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind about the falling out with Leon Knight, the tiny playing budget he had in the Championship, players that were being sold around him and not replaced, and the way he was promised that he would be leading the club out at Falmer. The banter during the "Falmer Dinner" special feature at the end with Dick Knight was quite amusing. And how Dick came back with the sarcastic comment that he promised every manager he employed that they would be the one to lead the club out at the new stadium. At least we won't have this problem any more of retaining good managers.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
One day, not talking about current time now, but one day I'd like to see Wilkins back at the club. He was outstanding IMO, 7th place with one of the lowest budgets in the league and a team full of youth.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I snapped this up for £2 Saturday an absolute steal and there are still many left to purchase.

Like the OP I've just finished watching in one sitting, brought back many great memories over the 12 years.

Thoughts after watching:-

The Micky Adams side of 2000/01 & 01/02 were a bunch of tough *******s, and we could do with some of their attitude now.

Chippy was probably the unsung hero of our team between 2000/06 a great player and scorer of spectacular goals.

Coppell is the best manager I've seen during my time supporting the club.

McGhee's efforts to keep us up are without a doubt the biggest achievement by a manager I've seen, pretty much miraculous.

Dean Wilkins came out of it well in comparison to Micky Adams as he refused to be involved.

The season Gus took us up from league one was amazing and the best football the 3rd tier has surely ever seen.

"I'm never happy until we don't hit the roof here we go we never stop". The last quote by Gus on the DVD extras when asked where we will finish in the 2011/12 season.

If you haven't seen it, grab a copy £2 for about 4 hours viewing is unbelievable good value, the Colin Hawkins own goals is worth £2 alone. And more importantly watching those years again fills me with pride and gives some perspective on our current position and performances.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I snapped this up for £2 Saturday an absolute steal and there are still many left to purchase.

Like the OP I've just finished watching in one sitting, brought back many great memories over the 12 years.

Thoughts after watching:-

The Micky Adams side of 2000/01 & 01/02 were a bunch of tough *******s, and we could do with some of their attitude now.

Chippy was probably the unsung hero of our team between 2000/06 a great player and scorer of spectacular goals.

Coppell is the best manager I've seen during my time supporting the club.

McGhee's efforts to keep us up are without a doubt the biggest achievement by a manager I've seen, pretty much miraculous.

Dean Wilkins came out of it well in comparison to Micky Adams as he refused to be involved.

The season Gus took us up from league one was amazing and the best football the 3rd tier has surely ever seen.

"I'm never happy until we don't hit the roof here we go we never stop". The last quote by Gus on the DVD extras when asked where we will finish in the 2011/12 season.

If you haven't seen it, grab a copy £2 for about 4 hours viewing is unbelievable good value, the Colin Hawkins own goals is worth £2 alone. And more importantly watching those years again fills me with pride and gives some perspective on our current position and performances.

Just snapped one up for £2 plus £1.50 Postage That is a bargain.

http://www.seagullsdirect.co.uk/sale/clearance?p=2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here