Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THE Withdean is how you refer to our stadium....

Oct 25, 2003
Re: Re: THE Withdean is how you refer to our stadium....

Trufflehound said:
I think I may still have about £2 10s 6d in a savings account with the old Eldred Avenue post office. Is it still there (I haven't been to look since 1973)?

yep, my girlfriend works there

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Curious Orange said:
Or "The The Goldstone Ground"

:lolol:

If we referred to the Goldstone Ground as "The Goldstone", then what's wrong with calling the Withdean Stadium "The Withdean"?

Don't think I can quite figure out why one's OK and one isn't.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Calling it "The" Withdean would be akin to calling it "The" Brighton.

We play at Withdean, we live in Brighton....Here endeth the lesson!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Withdean is an area of Brighton, The Withdean is where we play our home games!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If you want to say we are going to the Withdean Stadium this afternoon, that is correct (although when pronoucing it you are not able to differentiate between capital T and lower case t)....but it is not The Withdean Stadium (as in noun)...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
tedebear said:
If you want to say we are going to the Withdean Stadium this afternoon, that is correct (although when pronoucing it you are not able to differentiate between capital T and lower case t)....but it is not The Withdean Stadium (as in noun)...

Are you an English teacher or something?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
tedebear said:
:clap2: good , cheers Tede

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
desprateseagull said:
i though that was Patcham, or maybe Hollingbury..

so, where does Preston Village start/end then??
Preston Village doesn't go that far north.

Not sure of the exact boundaries but, like Brighthelmstone, it has a North Road, South Road and Middle Road. I think those were basically it as far as the village went. Still managed to have two pubs though. Oh, not forgetting the Manor house.

Patcham is about another 2/3 mile up the road from Withdean. Hollingbury is a bit further north and east. Again not sure of the boundaries. Withdean was little more than a handful of cottages in what is now Peacock Lane (one is still there).

Where's the History Man when you need him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here