Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean Experience

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Safeway said:
Relocate what exactly?
I gather the buildings are in use and funny enough these buildings are guess where.
Yep right where the stadium is being built and yes 3-4 bloody years and you have the pleasure of sitting in that crap hole for a very long time yet.

Thats what makes this club a joke as obviously they should have made plan b to build out of the way of these buildings to make it a quick job,but O no lets add another 2 years + onto the whole thing.:smokin:

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
say no more

105_0506_IMG_copy.gif

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My tuppenence for what it's worth......

Sit in F block and totally agree with the general feeling about the Withdean (though won't go as far as to call myself an idiot!). Oldham was my first game of the season having been travelling the world since August.

Gillingham (and yes I was a season ticket holder there) did have a better atmosphere than the current one at Withdean. I was shocked by the lack of passion on and off the field but in hindsight not surprised. Withdean, truely the worst football stadium in the UK, and the constant fight of supporting the Albion has simply sapped our energies - let's not forget that we've been fighting (and not just on saturdays) for this club ever since Archer and twatty arrived in 1993. Now we're sitting through the calm before the storm (either way) awaiting Falmer and a lot of us (me included) are worried sick that "Norman NIMBY-it's-NOT-your-backyard Baker" will win. As 'wars' go, we're therefore in our 11th year - enough to sap anyone's strength.

So we need ideas and the club/council should be challenged on these because even with Falmer it's going to be ages before we leave.

How about a large beer tent behind the west goal? And a "gully" racing about the stands getting people to sing, embarrassing those who refuse etc. It's practically intimidating to "sing", at least where I sit and even I've succumbed to the graveyard atmosphere having once been known as one of those rare breeds - a" load mouth!". And someone tell those stewards to stop their constant look for trouble. I feel like I'm coming through customs every week I sit in my seat.

The debate continues......what can we suggest to club officials and fans a like to get Mark McGhee the Fortress Withdean chance he deserves?

Sandgate Seagull

Jul 11, 2003
Seaford
I too sit in F block which seems to be quieter than other parts of Withdean. As I am one of the "joiners in" rather than a start a chant sort of fan there needs to be a catalyst to get my sort involved.

I suggest the following might help.

1) more adventurous play throw caution to the wind, men in numbers in the box
2) A tricky winger ala brooker
3) move the singing section to the middle of the south stand , so what little sound there is, does not disipate into some blokes garden, and encourages adjacent blocks to join in
4) Mcghee to have a right go at the fans publically for not getting behind the team, I for one would have more respect for him.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Curious Orange said:
Just think how much better everyone will feel in a couple of weeks time when Prescott has said yes.

:clap2:
Yeah that may sound good,but what about the next 3-4 years you have to wait.:ohmy:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
I wonder how many of the people who say " get on with it " actually go week in week out to Withdean or listen to the match in the comfort of their living rooms.

I go every week and I don't live in Brighton. You knew that though because I'm BHA's number 1 fan. :p

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm well and truely fed up of Withdean and wonder why I go. I guess you go in the hope of something good happening! I have considered not getting a season ticket next year as it's more difficult now that I don't live in Brighton but I'm sure I'll get one. Probably in the singing section. Hopefully we'll have a bit of banter there with the away fans in the new west stand.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I can't see what the fuss is about University of Brighton having to rebuid three blocks. From what I understand these buildings are to be demolished and rebuilt within the campus as part of the campus upgrade, and the University becoming a medical school. this is in conjunction with Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals Health Trust, and the BMA. already the site has been expanded to create housing for the medical students to the town end of the campus.

I belive that on constructor will be responsible for Falmer, and if this is the case building should be far quicker. My biggest fear is that there are simply not enough construction workers in the area with all the present building being completed in Brigton.

The atmosphere at Withdean is poor at times. This I belive is primarly due to the layout of the ground. There is nothing that can be done about this in the immediate or future. What we have got though is still in my eyes far better that trapsing to Gillingham whenever I can.

Also, Easy 10 is absolutley correct in what he states in the first page of this post. The seasons so far at Withdean have been a complete roller coaster. With that in mind I have, and will continue to enjoy my support for the club. Also, with that support I have met the best friends I could ever have, and an awful lot of decent people to boot.

Football to me is not just what happens on the pitch, but freindship and a sense of beloning. I don't for one munuite my being accepted here could have happend at many places, and The Albion have been a large part in that.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
You won't ever get a decent atmosphere there as its mostly season ticket holders and most people sit with strangers and singing sections are conjured of loads of people with mates etc bla bla bla.:drink:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
dover97 said:
I can't see what the fuss is about University of Brighton having to rebuid three blocks. From what I understand these buildings are to be demolished and rebuilt within the campus as part of the campus upgrade, and the University becoming a medical school. this is in conjunction with Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals Health Trust, and the BMA. already the site has been expanded to create housing for the medical students to the town end of the campus.

I belive that on constructor will be responsible for Falmer, and if this is the case building should be far quicker. My biggest fear is that there are simply not enough construction workers in the area with all the present building being completed in Brigton.

The atmosphere at Withdean is poor at times. This I belive is primarly due to the layout of the ground. There is nothing that can be done about this in the immediate or future. What we have got though is still in my eyes far better that trapsing to Gillingham whenever I can.

Also, Easy 10 is absolutley correct in what he states in the first page of this post. The seasons so far at Withdean have been a complete roller coaster. With that in mind I have, and will continue to enjoy my support for the club. Also, with that support I have met the best friends I could ever have, and an awful lot of decent people to boot.

Football to me is not just what happens on the pitch, but freindship and a sense of beloning. I don't for one munuite my being accepted here could have happend at many places, and The Albion have been a large part in that.
It should be straight forward but is it ever at this club as i would guess the club has given them roughly 2 bloody years to move out to new premises and that my son is why its all a farce.:D

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Look folks, another 3 or 4 years at Withdean with no atmosphere is really going to drive us all nuts. I refuse to admit that we can't do something about it. We all need to get our bl**dy thinking caps on and come up with some ideas - if you can't say something positive, don't say anything! [Result - NSC reduces to three messages a week]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The atmosphere could be improved at a stroke if the whole of North Stand under the roof was re-branded as H Block/Singing Section and the miserable buggers who currently sit in silence in the North Stand were repatriated to sit in silence with the other miserable buggers in the South Stand.

That's not to say there wouldn't be one or two, uh, practical difficulties in implementing such a plan... :lol:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
portlock seagull said:
My tuppenence for what it's worth......

So we need ideas and the club/council should be challenged on these because even with Falmer it's going to be ages before we leave.

How about a large beer tent behind the west goal? And a "gully" racing about the stands getting people to sing, embarrassing those who refuse etc.

I agree with both these. I bet there are restrictions on the sale of beer, but if we can then give it a try. Also the prospect of a gully used to abhor me, but we need something to get people going.

R2D2

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sandgate Seagull said:
3) move the singing section to the middle of the south stand , so what little sound there is, does not disipate into some blokes garden, and encourages adjacent blocks to join in

Now that is a good idea!
:clap: :clap:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Now I'm confused.

The Uni have to demolish some old buildings to make way for the new stadium, yet all we have heard from Falmer residents is how the stadium is in the middle of an area of outstanding natural beauty! Just who is talking bollocks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here