Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean Experience - your most memorable drenching

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
As with most people, best v. Swindon, worst v. Rochdale.

The way we went from 3-2 up to lose 4-3 in the last ten minutes combined to being sat there in a coat with no hood really made me a happy chappy. Caught a chill that night and felt crap for about two weeks.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Brightonfan1983 said:
Was it Mullery who, at half time and losing, kept the players on the pitch in the pouring rain?

And we went on to win!

I don't know the details, just saw him interviewed a while back and this story sticks.
That was against Millwall -Circa 1977
Losing 0-2 at half-time ,won 3-2. :clap2:
Only downside was the Millwall fans (wearing surgical masks) kicking off all round the Goldstone

BTW worst Withdean drenching-v.Rochdale,as mentioned by many others.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Eddie the Seagull said:
V Tranmere in 2002 on a Tuesday night. Gary Hart scored a corker off the underside of the bar.

I was f***ing soaked.

That Tranmere game must have been about the heaviest downpour. Going through the tunnel in the lane after the match the water was ankle-depth. Got a whole set of papier mache programmes from that season. Think it chucked it down for about seven or eight home games on the trot.

Swindon was definitely the freakiest. :ohmy:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Rochdale , fractured my wrist (leave it) so couldn't put a jumper on , got out of A&E just in time to see the game, freezing cold and wet , lost 4-3

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Virgo's Haircut said:
Was that the game around Xmas time?

I remember that one too bloody well :(
That's the one .Went from 0-2 down early on to lead 3-2 in 2nd half, only to concede two late (soft) goals.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
the one with the weird Rochdale goal celebration

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Braders7 said:
the one with the weird Rochdale goal celebration
I don't remember that.
While on the subject of drenchings,I think Barnet away(98? Ifejiagwa got the winner) was the wettest I have ever been
at a match

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
My lad was mascot for the home Swindon play off. We were all wet through, p***ed off, fed up, but how the sun came out when Virgo scored. Will always be forever in my memory, but we are still all trying to dry out after the Burnley game.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Tranmere for me, I wasn't at the Rochdale game, and I watched the Swindon game at a pub in East Grinstead, where there were only two of us watching, seemed very odd. Yesterday takes some beating, mind you. I remember one game at the Goldstone against Hull, when it absolutely bucketed down, fortunately I was in the South Stand, where they let 200 miserable, drowned rat-like Hull fans into the South Stand, after which they outsang the North Stand. I think we won 3-1 though, and Clive Walker scored a screamer.

wolfie said:
I don't know what you are all moaning about - I can remember numerous deluges on the old East terrace at the Goldstone, whic h for our younger members was also uncovered. Northampton on a Friday night in 1987 springs to mind, because we won 3-0 and made a big step towards promotion. Also - a 5-0 win over Darlington or Chesterfield in about 1965.

a 2nd leg v Middlesbrough in the League up )already 5-0 down) in 91 or 92 sticks in the mem - soding gale, lost me brolly as it flew to Portslade totally drenched and only about 5,000 stuck mostly in the N stand.

v Cardiff which never started and was called off around 9.30 when even the "whale " from the Cricket Ground couldn't cope withe water

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If I had jumped to a swimming pool after the match against Rochdale I wouldn't have go wetter.

One game where it wasn't raining but there was a lot of standing water was the game against Chesterfield where we got preseneted with the Div 3 trophy. The players all dive-bombed through the puddles.

Marvellous scenes.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
away to cmabridge circa 1994/95 Sunny april day then half an hour of torrential rain followed by four inches of hail laying on the pitch. this led to the production of the orange ball and Johny Crumplin chipped in with a goal punched in from a corner but the ref still gave it!

Very wet, cold, windy but a comedy goal made it all worthwhile!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Withdean and I said:
definately the rochdale match - that was the day when i was sat, on my own, cold, soaked and totally pissed off - and i decided that i was not going to ever buy a season ticket again while we are at withdean (at least while the ground is in it's present format).

The Rochdale-ometer. A scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) grading the severity of weather at withdean matches

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
worst drenching was the one nil win away at Barnet a few years back, lovely sunney weather in Brighton when we left , quater of an hour into the game the heavens opened , standing behid the goal in just a t-shirt and denim jacket i was absulutly soaked , ended up in a local pub in just my boxers with my clothes hanging up round a warm natural fire(bliss), mates all undressed aswell
oh and as i remember had been on the sauce the night before and one of my cad friends had shaved one of my eye brows off?

mates hey?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here