Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The wire

May 22, 2008
just finshed season 5 ! been watching the box set since late last year !
was the best TV i have ever seen......if you have not seen well worth your time.

who has seen it ? and what ya think?

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
If you like The Wire you might like some books written by George Pelecanos. He helped write episodes on season three but is an author of some really good fiction. Try the four books starting with the Big Blowdown. It starts in the 50's and goes through the decades getting steadily more violent. Incredibly evocative writing for someone who is essentially a crime writer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've got all five box sets, and by far the most intelligent, well observed and well acted TV show ever.

The same team have just produced Treme, which is about New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, and I just hope that it comes to the UK soon.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I've got all five box sets, and by far the most intelligent, well observed and well acted TV show ever.

The same team have just produced Treme, which is about New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, and I just hope that it comes to the UK soon.

....by far the most intelligent, well observed and well acted TV show ever.

This.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Agree with all of the above apart from Captain Grealish....The Wire is even better than Sopranos.

Quite simply THE best drama series ever brought to the small screen bar none!

Intricate, intelligent, multiple-layered and continuously fresh scripting, brilliantly acted by a largely theatrical-based cast of less well known heavyweight performers and a couple of English players in the equation too....the well known Dominic West (McNulty) but also, rather surprisingly, the fella playing Stringer Bell too....and one other I can't recall at present.

All characters well rounded, plot changes focus each series to (an)other part(s) of the city's underbelly and the sheer detail of the story makes this a winner from start to finish.....AND they know when to stop unlike the likes of Prison Break!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Intricate, intelligent, multiple-layered and continuously fresh scripting, brilliantly acted by a largely theatrical-based cast of less well known heavyweight performers and a couple of English players in the equation too....the well known Dominic West (McNulty) but also, rather surprisingly, the fella playing Stringer Bell too....and one other I can't recall at present.

Aiden Gillen who plays Tommy Carcetti (sp?) is Irish but is often on British telly. Clarke Peters who plays Freeman(sp?) is American but has been based in the UK for the last 20-odd years/

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If you like The Wire you might like some books written by George Pelecanos. He helped write episodes on season three but is an author of some really good fiction. Try the four books starting with the Big Blowdown. It starts in the 50's and goes through the decades getting steadily more violent. Incredibly evocative writing for someone who is essentially a crime writer.

Thank you might give them a go. Given David Simon's books a go (life on the street and the corner) and they were pretty good.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i think i need some help with this. im half way through series 2 and sort of run out of steam. i find it hard to understsand what they are saying and now got out of it. a mate says keep on going with it but im finding it tough going. band of brothers on the other hand i watched in 2 days

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I never knew the guy who played Stringer Bell was British until I saw Rock N rolla! Some of the best written characters in any television series bar none, also check out homicide life on the streets which was done a decade or so before the wire. The problem with the wire is every other series you watch never gets anywhere near it.

Dandyman

In London village.
Got the whole set and love it. Shows the Yanks can produce quality drama.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Nothing compares with The Sweeney.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here