Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Who Isle of Wight 1970 on tv now

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
A classic performance currently showing on Artsworld, was a performance i rember well, though i drift in and out of a haze!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
That was my FIRST ever gig, I was 6 months old

'people try to put us down ....'

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
biggest regret was missing hendrix, i crashed out and woke up when he finished! but i did see the doors which was cool

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I don't remember any of it :jester:

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
1969 Line-up ( in Alphabetical order) The Band
Blodwyn Pig
Blonde On Blonde
Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band
Edgar Broughton Band
Joe Cocker
Aynsley Dunbar
Bob Dylan
Eclection
Family
Gary Farr
Fat Mattress
Julie Felix
Free
Gypsy
Richie Havens
Marsha Hunt and White Trash
Indo Jazz Fusions
Liverpool Scene
Mighty Baby
The Moody Blues
The Nice
Tom Paxton
Pentangle
The Pretty Things
Third Ear Band
The Who.

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
although Bath 69 probably had better line-up

Colosseum . Jefferson Airplane Frank Zappa.
Country Joe. JoeJammer Hawkwind ?
Canned Heat Led Zeppelin John Peel.
Donovan John Mayall Moody Blues
Dr John Pink Floyd Fairport Convention
Flock. Santana. Keef Hartley.
Hot Tuna Steppenwolf. Maynard Ferguson

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
gwpdylan said:
biggest regret was missing hendrix, i crashed out and woke up when he finished! but i did see the doors which was cool

Yeah, me too. I got snuggled up to some bird who'd earlier offered to sun-cream me (those were the days!) and fell asleep about 2 a.m, waking to Jimi's final (in more ways than one) notes as the sun was coming up. :ohmy:

bardo said:
Yeah, me too. I got snuggled up to some bird who'd earlier offered to sun-cream me (those were the days!) and fell asleep about 2 a.m, waking to Jimi's final (in more ways than one) notes as the sun was coming up. :ohmy:

Just a little trivia, but Jimi played some dates after IOW, (not sure but I think it was somewhere in Sweden, Copenhagen, and finally Isle of Fehrman in Germany - which was his last ever gig.
It was said to be another awful experience, as the band had trouble getting to the site, then were kept up all night waiting to play. The Hells' Angels can be credited with the poor running of the festival, as it was another one where they were left 'in charge'.
That tour was a rushed and badly organised one that Hendrix probably preferred not to be on, and the IOW performance was also bloody rubbish by his standards. He was being mis-managed really, and all the pill-popping to try and sleep or stay awake took a fatal toll. A lot of people talk about him dying of heroin, acid or coke - but it was the simpler combination of barbiturates and red wine, and the regurgitation of a tuna sandwich. A sad way to go, and a great loss to music indeed.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
NMH said:
Just a little trivia, but Jimi played some dates after IOW, (not sure but I think it was somewhere in Sweden, Copenhagen, and finally Isle of Fehrman in Germany - which was his last ever gig.

Makes me feel a whole lot better that I didn't actually miss his final gig:( ; anyway from the video of the event it looks like you're right about it not being his best - there didn't seem to be many people left by the time morning arrived. I actually saw him about 1969 at the Dome where he shared the bill with Pink Floyd, Nice and a few others who I can't remember (!!!!) . I do recall he did Wild Thing; I probably didn't appreciate him enough at that stage of his short career. I've still got the ticket for the Dome concert somewhere - probably worth a packet on Ebay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here