Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Welsh, and the English language.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The Welsh Assembly passed a law that basically means all official correspondence has to be sent in both languages. I can understand that they want to preserve their national heritage any everything but I think it should be up to the individual to decide.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Another way to waste taxpayers money, create division and pander to petty nationalism.

Oh and being hypocritical about british nationalism.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
2223321835_446efc8259.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I mean. Now why can't this fine example from Iraq be used as a role-model, with the information in ENGLISH first?:clap:
I commend this book to everyone ...

Brighton and Surrounds: a History of Bagdad, Bridgewater, Brighton, Broadmarsh, Dromedary, Elderslie, Mangalore, Old Beach, Pontville and Tea Tree by Dr Alison Alexander.

Brighton Council - History

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
Well I sort of guesed that, care to divulge a location / area ?

Well, If I were from Mansfield, I would support Mansfield, and post on the Mansfield site.If I were from Portsmouth, I'd post on the Portsmouth forum, and support Pompey, if I was a Leeds fan, I'd post on WACCOE, and secretely support Manure, if I lived in Croydon I would support - NO I wouldn't!
Work it out!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Welsh Assembly passed a law that basically means all official correspondence has to be sent in both languages. I can understand that they want to preserve their national heritage any everything but I think it should be up to the individual to decide.

Isn't the idea of using both languages exactly so the individual CAN decide which one to use?

It's not really a question of preserving national identity, it was originally about pulling Welsh back from almost complete obliteration. It's not long ago that children who spoke Welsh at school were beaten and made to wear a sign around their neck (and when I say "not long ago" I mean within the last 70 years, it's that recent).

Thanks to the efforts of some dedicated individuals, Welsh has not only been preserved but is flourishing. It's an object lesson in how not only to preserve a language but to actually increase its influence. Linguists from all over the world study what's been achieved in Wales to learn how to preserve other languages (BTW, I highly recommend a book called Spoken Here by Mark Abley that looks at threatened languages).Those bilingual roadsigns, council forms and postage stamps are all part of the process and have led to that success.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When S4C first launched on satellite TV if you lived outside of Wales and wanted to watch the channel you had to ring their offices and give them your Sky viewing card number so they could enable it (so it would no longer be scrambled). Quite handy for watching the odd programme (football and rugby) with no language problems either as subtitles were available via teletext on page 888.

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
When S4C first launched on satellite TV if you lived outside of Wales and wanted to watch the channel you had to ring their offices and give them your Sky viewing card number so they could enable it (so it would no longer be scrambled). Quite handy for watching the odd programme (football and rugby) with no language problems either as subtitles were available via teletext on page 888.

Why would anyone want to scramble Welsh?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why would anyone want to scramble Welsh?

The channel was encrypted as it was intended for Welsh speaking viewers either living in Wales or elsewhere in the UK (who could opt in). The channel was a joint collaboration between the BBC and C4 with additional funding from Government. The channel became free to air on a Sky digibox about 3 years after it was launched.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The signs into Newhaven on the A259 have 'Centre Ville' on them. I am going to spray paint them out.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I highly recommend a book called Spoken Here by Mark Abley that looks at threatened languages

Second the recommendation. Very sad story therein about the aboriginal languages of Australia. People will move heave and earth for an endangered species, if it's charismatic enough (pandas, e.g.) but for languages, not so much. Yet extinction is forever for both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here