Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Welsh, and the English language.

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
Bought a book of stamps today in Worthing, all information (as if you need any) is in English AND Welsh.
Is this really necessary? Is there even ONE person in Wales that can't speak English?
Personally, Iv'e got nothing against the twats, but sometimes I wonder if we go a bit far in order to be PC....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
He said "Can you post in welsh please, I am the one who doesn't speak english. PS, got any stamps for sale"

I recall a mate of mine who came from West Ham, but worked as a manager for the former Gwynedd County Council, telling me that there was a plan about 10 years ago to apply for some European funding that was available to support "cross-border" international co-operation. The scheme that they had in mind would have delivered road signs to the areas around Holyhead and Dún Laoghaire (or do I mean Caergybi and Kingstown?) in THREE languages - Welsh, Irish and English.

Incidentally, my mate was very proud of the fact that he had learned to speak "Council-Welsh", but hadn't lost his cockney accent in the process.

would have delivered road signs to the areas around Holyhead and Dún Laoghaire (or do I mean Caergybi and Kingstown?) in THREE languages - Welsh, Irish and English.

Aaah, thems is my home towns:clap2:

Those signs aren't up yet - typical Gwynedd County Council!!!!

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
And that's another thing..... are half the roadsigns really necessary? Are bloody great bright double yellow lines down the side of an otherwise beautiful lane really needed? I could go on, and might do.....

Lush

Mods' Pet
Bought a book of stamps today in Worthing, all information (as if you need any) is in English AND Welsh.
Is this really necessary? Is there even ONE person in Wales that can't speak English?
Personally, Iv'e got nothing against the twats, but sometimes I wonder if we go a bit far in order to be PC....

If you translate the Welsh side, it says: "These stamps feature the head of YOUR Queen. Deal with it, bach."

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Don't knock road signs, I have learnt loads of Welsh words from them during my visits to the principality...however, I am not sure how far knowing what town centre, fish and chips and Welsh water will get me!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...err, don't you mean Abertawe!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I visited Cardiff for a concert last year, and obviously all the signs are bi-lingual. The only word which stuck in my head is the Welsh word for 'taxi', which is......tacsi.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...as long as you didn't end up in an ambuwlans!!!

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
Back to my original point- are these things necessary? Can we get by without them? Seems to me that every motorway, A road, B road, lane is clogged full of crap road signs
Which of course wasn't my original point.. but I'm getting pissed.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here