Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The waning power of Fortress Amex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Under GP we’ve become a side who likes to play through the press. Which is great, unless the oppo don’t press us, at which point we struggle. You could argue that GP needs to evolve his style to break down sides at home, or that we need to buy him some better quality attackers to unlock packed defences. Probably a bit of both in truth. But think this is a bigger factor than atmosphere. Atmosphere is often s**** at the Etihad but doesn’t seem to do them much harm.

"Could argue" :shrug:

It's fundamental to GPott developing into the top flight coach some on here already think he is - but isn't and is a long way from.

If he can do it (no need for a big if) we'll have a season beyond our wildest dreams.
If not then GPott's standing will never develop beyond 'what might have been'.

Either way we're likely to find out in 22/23 for what's sure to be GPott's last season in charge.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That first season at home looks absolutely extraordinary now, doesn't it?

It was the 8th best home record in the league that season, beaten only by the usual six plus Everton.

It was almost the complete reverse of this season, of course, as we had the worst away record in the league that year. This season our away record is the sixth best.

Bring back CH as home game manager. Keep GP as away game manager.

Job done, top 10 guaranteed.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Chicken and egg situation of atmosphere helping performances and vice versa…….

Would no doubt be a bit livelier if we actually scored now and again, but the empty seats....

Caused by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets on the exchange.

All these piddly amounts of money to get people MyAlbion+ and endless faff-arsing about with emails, transfers and so on with friends and family members who can't use the internet and read instructions means that when I can't make it to a game, I just let the seats go empty. I never used to do that, but now I just can't be arsed. I end up spending hours myself (and usually money) setting it all up for them so they can have my tickets. Forget it, I'm too busy for all that - that's why I can't make it to the game in the first place.

The club loses pie and a pint revenue, has two empty seats, and the atmosphere suffers because thousands of other people have done the same.

And yes, I know the 'rules' are you don't give your ST card to anyone, but clubs have been turning a blind eye for decades without any adverse effects.

Stupid decision by the club doing it all on phones now COVID is over. I'd like it to change back to cards.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I stop using the word fortress a long time ago

Barely a sand castle these days

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Caused by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets on the exchange.

All these piddly amounts of money to get people MyAlbion+ and endless faff-arsing about with emails, transfers and so on with friends and family members who can't use the internet and read instructions means that when I can't make it to a game, I just let the seats go empty. I never used to do that, but now I just can't be arsed. I end up spending hours myself (and usually money) setting it all up for them so they can have my tickets. Forget it, I'm too busy for all that - that's why I can't make it to the game in the first place.

The club loses pie and a pint revenue, has two empty seats, and the atmosphere suffers because thousands of other people have done the same.

And yes, I know the 'rules' are you don't give your ST card to anyone, but clubs have been turning a blind eye for decades without any adverse effects.

Stupid decision by the club doing it all on phones now COVID is over. I'd like it to change back to cards.

Yep. B&B definitely got this all wrong, arguably the biggest own goal club scored in a decade.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Totally agree with you about the faff not being worth it but isn’t the electronic ticket decision a Premier League decision/initiative?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Knocky's Nose; said:
]Caused by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets o by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets o]Caused by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets o by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets o by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets o 082]Caused by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets on the exchange.

*not being able to sell tickets to mates to recoup ST cost and circumvent match day ticket pricing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Covid isn't over. 1 in 15 people in the Brighton area has it, and over 2000 people have died in the last 7 days throughout Britain.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
How many empty seats today, 4/5 thousand, Easter holidays, poor home form, Covid, not easily passing on your season ticket. No point in boasting how many tickets have been sold when there are so many empty seats every game.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had a huge amount of seats to chose from when I booked my seat on Friday evening . . . . Good weather, local-ish derby. . . Clearly corporate football has a decreasing appeal. . . It was a bit like a library at times.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I don't get it . Perhaps a tactical wizard can put me straight but the Albion look a different side at home to away.

I get to watch some of the away games on stream and apart from the second half against Man City we have been outstanding against City, Arsenal & Spurs.

I have had the misfortune to watch all our home games this season (so yes I enjoyed the last win in December) and every game is groundhog day at the Amex - near total bewilderment at the teams performance and the subs made

At 2-2 today we went to pieces at the back for about 10 minutes , players were slicing the ball upwards anywhere like school kids.

Bizarre ?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Disagree most games the effort is put in at the start unfortunately the performance doesn’t match and like most grounds in league football the atmosphere drops off. Hopefully with the new midfield two we can break quicker than walking football.

Library at 1-0 and 2-0 today

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Library at 1-0 and 2-0 today

I think we should wait for further insight, from someone who has never set foot in Sussex, before we decide if the AMEX was a library or not, today.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I had a huge amount of seats to chose from when I booked my seat on Friday evening . . . . Good weather, local-ish derby. . . Clearly corporate football has a decreasing appeal. . . It was a bit like a library at times.

Seats and a stadium that had already sold out but hadn’t - at the time of you wanting a ticket - sold twice.

PS have you tried buying a Premier League ticket for I dunno any of the games this weekend. Virtually impossible (unless you’re a member, season ticket holder, or trading on black/grey market). If that’s declining appeal …

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Seats and a stadium that had already sold out but hadn’t - at the time of you wanting a ticket - sold twice.

PS have you tried buying a Premier League ticket for I dunno any of the games this weekend. Virtually impossible (unless you’re a member, season ticket holder, or trading on black/grey market). If that’s declining appeal …

NOt sure what you're saying there, but a lot of tickets are corporate/business, many just family, either way, they're not getting used.

I had an empty seat next to me and there were others, I decided to treat myself to a 1901 ultra padded library pew.

1901 is a dedicated investment fir most I guess, so speaks volumes that so many are available, didn't have to queue for anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here