The Wait Is Costing Us Fans

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what is wrong with that then Bozza?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, but we live in the real world and I travel every day on trains and know the reliability issues first hand

I would have thought that a lot of people will drive to Coldean, turn around by the chip shop/Hikers and get picked up there after the game. Or the turning by Wild Park That is far enough away to not have an inpact on the traffic at Falmer, in the same way this is exactly what happens at Withdean, in that Three of us are picked up away from the ground, again causing no problem to the parking restrictions.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
So what is wrong with your wife dropping you off at Portslade station at 1pm?

Buy your tickets there and still plenty of time to get to Falmer even allowing for trains running late etc

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
convenience! If I can get in my car and be dropped off ( leaving my house at 2:25), why should I have to rely on the trains being on time.

I have used the park and ride twice and found it a shambles and it takes too bloody long to get to the car, therefore

BTW the argument about a travel ticket doesn't apply to me as I have a train season ticket which I would use, therefore I am paying for a service twice!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Nah
You're missing out Dave. Leave an hour earlier, get the train to Preston Park and have a drink with us.

It's half the fun of going to a match.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dave the gaffer said:
BTW the argument about a travel ticket doesn't apply to me as I have a train season ticket which I would use, therefore I am paying for a service twice!!!

This is of no relevance at all.

But I'd be interested to see the justification for being on a train between Brighton and Falmer, possibly a 'football special', with what I imagine is a Portslade to London season ticket.

Out of interest, how often have you gone through Falmer whilst commuting to London?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought it was illegal to be intoxicated at a football match and that Perry had the authority to take away your season ticket and have you ostracised in polite society!!!

LOL

Seriously though, to get back to my original point, if you build something outside the town, you are going to be faced with the fact that people are going to have to get there other than public transport, because that is their choice. You can discourage this by making it impossible to park near the ground |( as they have tried to do at Withdean) but people will find ways round it. It may be a long walk, but just wander round Surrenden Avenue and Withdean on match days/nights and look at the extra parking from the norm.

I think it is very laudible for the Albion to encourage "greener transport" but as I say, its a matter of personal choice. I choose to get dropped off and picked up away from the ground. I get home within 15 to 20 mins of being picked up. I tried to do this by train and it took me 3/4 hour to get to Portslade and then waited for a bus for 20 mis and it took 25 mins to get home from Portslade. easy choice isn't it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The trains don't go Via Falmer to get to London do they Bozza?

I was making the point that as things stand at the moment, I pay a premium on my season ticket to pay for public transport, which as I have a train season ticket doesn't apply to me. It is my choice to do that but there you are.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dave the gaffer said:
I thought it was illegal to be intoxicated at a football match and that Perry had the authority to take away your season ticket and have you ostracised in polite society!!!

LOL

I think it is very laudible for the Albion to encourage "greener transport" but as I say, its a matter of personal choice. I choose to get dropped off and picked up away from the ground. I get home within 15 to 20 mins of being picked up. I tried to do this by train and it took me 3/4 hour to get to Portslade and then waited for a bus for 20 mis and it took 25 mins to get home from Portslade. easy choice isn't it.

It takes me longer than 1 hour to get intoxicated (although not much longer) and since when was H block polite society?

The Albion don't have any choice about encouraging 'greener transport'
It has been thrust upon them by all the conditions to actually play back in Brighton.

This is what makes me so cross about the NIMBYS. The Albion have complied with every constraint and regulation put upon them but they haven't given one inch. :angry:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
dave the gaffer said:
The trains don't go Via Falmer to get to London do they Bozza?

Not from Portslade, no. Which is why the travel ticket is applicable to you since your season ticket would not cover all of your journey to Falmer.

dave the gaffer said:
I was making the point that as things stand at the moment, I pay a premium on my season ticket to pay for public transport, which as I have a train season ticket doesn't apply to me. It is my choice to do that but there you are.

But that is because the train journey to Withdean is covered by your season ticket since Preston Park is en route from Portslade to London.

As above, Falmer is not, and your season ticket is not valid once you get beyond Brighton.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I take it you didn't detect the sarcasm in my tone.

Oh well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst we can all pick holes in Dave's pre match routine, his point is still a valid one - the general public won't take kindly to being told how and when they can get to the stadium once the initial excitement has worn off. Personally I'm worried about this in the long term. I would hope that these daft restrictions would be lifted in years to come.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not saying Dave doesn't have a point at all - of course he does. I was merely answering his question as to why tickets are not likely to be sold on the day at Falmer itself.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
WE WILL HAVE NO CHOICE IN HOW TO GET TO FALMER!!!

The ways available will be the train to Falmer station - less than 500 metres from the stadium!!!!

Park and Ride will also be available using the same system as we have now.

Parking will be for disabled people, or charged at £10 a car. This will also be heavily restricted.

The days of turning up at the ground without a pre-purchased ticket are over. Get used to it.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
£10 for disabled parking??? how encouraging to go to the game dear o dear.:nono:
Can't anything be straight forward without hassle,well the roads around are being done for future traffic congestion as its bloody normal just like the madjeski etc.

There must be a pay on the day full stop :smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here