Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wait Is Costing Us Fans

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
The longer this goes on the more fans will disappear and it will be very hard to tempt them back. When we first returned to Withdean five of us had season tickets next to each other. Four have given up so far and the last one will probably not renew next year.

I think this is happening all over the ground as well, as people don't like Withdean. Slagging these people of for being fair weather is a bit short sighted as it is a serious problem and nothing is being done to rectify it. The only thing from the club to tempt people is 'buy your season ticket three months early and we won't put it up'.

Since I gave mine up I haven't had one letter even offering me the chance to renew, let alone an incentive to.

I know the delay is not the clubs fault but i fear not enough is being done to keep the fans they already have. Tommorow night I have been offered tickets for Withdean. I haven't taken them. Instead I'm going to Hastings United as a friend of mine has just become the new Chairman. Also there was a story circulating recently about Eastboutne Borough refusing to have a petition. Again, they can see whats happening, yet everyone seems to think all will be fine if permissions granted.

In a few years we have gone from demand of 10,000 plus to 5500 crowds. The story about people not thinking they can get tickets just doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. Fans are giving up in their droves. Even if we are told we can have a stadium, its another four years away. How many more will be lost in that time?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
People are put off by the lack of 'pay on the gate'. Unfortunately this will also be the situation at Falmer. However, the facilities at Withdean are appalling, especially in this weather. Nobody wants to pay £20+ to sit in an open stand 20 metres from the pitch. Falmer will have a roof(!) and will be more enclosed. This will keep the weather out somewhat better than the green nets of Withdean.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I know where you are coming from, I have sat with my Uncle, cousin and brothers for the last number of years, out of those 5, I am the only one renewing my season ticket for this coming year.

The worrying thing is that they are not really that bothered about the Falmer issue and that concerns me as the general malaise seems to be gaining momentum.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Rougvie said:
I know where you are coming from, I have sat with my Uncle, cousin and brothers for the last number of years, out of those 5, I am the only one renewing my season ticket for this coming year.

The worrying thing is that they are not really that bothered about the Falmer issue and that concerns me as the general malaise seems to be gaining momentum.

Absolutely. The fans on here tend to be real hardcore, died in the wool fans. In reality they count for a very small percentage of crowds. A large majority aren't overly bothered about whats happening in four years time, they want a bit of comfortable, affordable entertainment now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Teaboy

How do you know it won't be pay on the door at Falmer?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Who did?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I thought it was one of the planning conditions. As with the transport restrictions. Not much point having travel vouchers to encourage public transport use if you won't get the ticket until you get to the gound, is there?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I understood that the restriction was for Withdean only.

If we are now saying that people can only go to Falmer if they have the same rediculous faffing about to get tickets, you are going to have the same issues as people have now.

Football is about people making a decision on the day or a day before about seeing a game.

Were are not f***ing Manchester United who can sell out every week!!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I do not want to be too negative about Falmer, but I am not under an illusions about its shortcomings.

I would say from my part of the country (Shoreham) the response from the stay away fans is lukewarm.

On a positive note, I would have thought the only solution would be to get a fans representative at the Board meetings. And not a lackey.

I am not saying it will do any good. From the very first the Albion (Dick Knight and Martin Perry) had made up their mind, rightly or wrongly, that Falmer was the only place to go.

The politicians have mucked it up a bit by not allowing Village Way South and my their general less than wholehearted support.

I am not saying that Falmer will be a failure. I just think that the Albion have lost their way a bit and Falmer is not the dream we wanted it to be.

Falmer will, without any doubt, be better than the Goldstone in its last years.

Why:

1) because of its neglect the Goldstone was all-ticket for the last few games
2) capacity at Falmer will be higher
3) view and facilities will be better
4) parking and transport will be better

If you remember going back to to the days of the Hove Town Hall presentation and we were urged to make representations about the National Park boundaries.

Anyrate, expressing my concern about the south downs I communicated with the South Downs Conservation Board, mainly on the lines that their attitude was not inimicable to the best solution for the placement of the stadium at Falmer, and I expressed my view that it would be in the best interest of everyone (including the Falmer residents) if the stadium was landscaped into the hill and I considered that such a responsible body as the SDCB should use the opportunity to make the whole thing work for the benefit of everybody.

The answer came back that the SDCB had already decided that they were completely and utterly opposed to the stadium anywhere on the south downs and they were prepared to oppose the stadium in their perceived sphere of influence. If you didn't know that already (I had to check) that there is not the remotest possibility of them changing their minds.

I have had enough of them and their ruling group. It is not even as though they are managing the south downs properly.

Rambling a bit now. If Prescott says No (or it goes pear-shaped for another reason) the very last thing I would want would be noisy protests and pitch invasions.

There is a long time to think what to do. Prescott's decision will not be until summer at the earliest.

Prescott does not strike me as a politican that would be swayed by protests. This does not mean I am opposed to political lobbying. The more I think about the more I think that Hoile's report was really a shoddy piece of work.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And the trains will be running on time as well. Even on Saturdays.

bat.gif

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The trouble is as I predicted that Dick Tight has put all his eggs in the Falmer basket and neglected what is happening on the pitch.
If he hadn't been such a twat in the summer of 2002 when Taylor left and got a decent manager in then instead of giving the job to Tinselhead we would still be in Div 1 with sell out crowds.
We will continue losing support unless we are a winning team and next season if we drift along mid table we'll be lucky to get gates of 5000.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
When Falmer is built there will be a curiosity value at first.
People who haven't been for years will want to go just to see what it's like.

Tickets will be available on the day at stations as already said by DO.

Then it is up to the club and players to keep them.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The usual procedure is for the Police to specify some games to be all-ticket. Will an agreement be signed with the Council about the ticket arrangments? Is the absence of pay-on-the-day binding? Maybe not?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is incredible.

A ground holding 22k that will only have entrance by season ticket holders, people who have bought tickets away from the ground ( ie shop atc) or at the ticket office. Surely not?

So I am a guy sat at home on a saturday morning, its a nice day and my grandson has noticed that Brighton are playing against Bolton wanderers in the Second division. I decide to go and spend £30 for a ticket for myself and £15 for my grandson. My wife runs me to the ground, drops us off and I make my way to the ticket office. They inform me that as I did not buy a ticket in advance I can't get in....Yeah Right. I can really see that happening.

Lets get this in perspective folks. We are not mancherster United or Real madrid here, brand spanking new stadium or not. We need to get people back to watch us after many years of decline and "pay on the day" is a sure fire way of allowing people to go.

Why does it always seem I am being negative?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here