Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The view from Mr Average fan....

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I've supported the Seagulls for 34 years since being taken to the Goldstone by my Dad as a 10 year old.

I have had a season ticket for 4 of those seasons, once at The Goldstone, once at Withdean and the first two seasons at The Amex.

In the seasons I don't have a season ticket I still watch them play but just not as regularly.

This is not an issue to me - I'm a family man, I run my own business, and as much as I love The Albion - they are not the be all and end all in my life.

Our first season at The Amex was so exciting and I, like many others, thought we would push on this season. We have shown glimpses of greatness this season, but, so far, on the whole, I have come away feeling like we are just not as good as we were last season.

With all the additional seats coming on stream by March / April, I am thinking that maybe I won't renew my season ticket. I will still go to a fair few games, but unless we drastically improve over the next two or three months, I sense that a fair number of 'Mr Average' fans like me maybe feeling the same.

It just won't be hard to get tickets in future unless we are really challenging for the Premier League.

Just wondered how other Mr or Mrs Average feel at the moment?

Will I guess get some boorish abuse from the die hard fanaticals but let's hope not.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sounds like fair comments to me mate although I disagree about progress. Last year we had several 'lucky' wins which inflated our finishing position. This year we have, on the whole, played to a much higher standard but our results haven't reflected that. Something is clearly wrong at the moment though.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think you feel like a lot of other people. I would imagine a lot of people purchased season tickets thinking it would be hard to get a seat otherwise,but clearly that will not be the case when all the seats are in and season ticket sales will Inevitably fall.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I don't blame you, personally, I am still loving the Amex experience but the reason I am considering not renewing is because of the amount of evening games and moved kick offs. I either seem to not be able to make them or rush like mad to get there in time.
Saying that though, I will probably continue as I can see interest increasing if we do reach the premier league in the near future.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If the football continues like it is I think we'll see the first large drop in season tickets, I personally know a few people who won't be renewing.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I love it to bits and will definitely be renewing. Not sure if I'm average though, or if 'average' really exists...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have shown glimpses of greatness this season, but, so far, on the whole, I have come away feeling like we are just not as good as we were last season.
This is a major problem for me.
I think I'd be a lot more rose tinted if we hadn't had a whiff of greatness.

I remember the feelings I had after the Sheffield Wednesday :)lol:) match.
This coming on the back of Barnsley and Burnley.

I'm pretty sure I wrote a thread along the lines of 'will we ever be beaten'.

Quite how that team becomes this team in 3 months is somewhat perplexing.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
This is a major problem for me.
I think I'd be a lot more rose tinted if we hadn't had a whiff of greatness.

I remember the feelings I had after the Sheffield Wednesday :)lol:) match.
This coming on the back of Barnsley and Burnley.

I'm pretty sure I wrote a thread along the lines of 'will we ever be beaten'.

Quite how that team becomes this team in 3 months is somewhat perplexing.

Agree.

I came away after the Sheffield Wed match thinking we were en route to a serious challenge for the so called 'promised land' of the Premier League.

Since then we have pretty much been an average championship side - which is fine - but just not fine enough to tempt me to part with a further £500 - ish.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We have always been a 'bandwagon' club capable of getting good crowds as we are seeing now but also capable of getting very poor crowds 5/6k of the bad years at the Goldstone for example. If we tail off next year crowds will dip, but if we get into the PL and come say 15th crowds will dip the season after that too, as they did in the old 1st division.

If people don't want to go every week it is not exactly a crisis is it? There were plenty on here predicting 12k crowds before the Amex opened, so if we drop to 20k average it's hardy the end of the world is it? They will soon come back when the team is successful...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It was always going to be difficult to keep some people after the initial euphoria of moving to the Amex had worn off. If people aren't happy being near the top of the championship, it'll be even worse if we're in the Prem getting stuffed every week, or drop to the bottom half of the championship, or even get relegated sometime.

I am quite amazed at the reaction to yesterdays game, some deluded people have raised their expectations far too high for reality.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
I had a ticket for last night but meeting a Canadian relative passing through gatwick unexpected I had to miss the game. I did watch the last half hour on sky and felt we didn't deserve a lot from the game. I remember the times back in the 90s so supporting a team in the top half of the championship isn't to bad. I have never had the chance in my working life to know I will have every sat free and worked till 4pm yesterday so I will never be a season ticket holder, I will still try to make every game I can. We are in a rough patch at the moment but supporting BHA has always been sticking with MY team good or bad rather than a doing well Premiership team because that will come again at the Amex sooner or later. The big worry I have is this dip in form could put off a player joining us in Jan.

On another note I thought West Ham never gave Zola a great crack at turning things around so I don't have such a big problem with him having a bit of success like I would have with the prick Warnock.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
image.jpgimage.jpg
I had a ticket for last night but meeting a Canadian relative passing through gatwick unexpected I had to miss the game. I did watch the last half hour on sky and felt we didn't deserve a lot from the game. I remember the times back in the 90s so supporting a team in the top half of the championship isn't to bad. I have never had the chance in my working life to know I will have every sat free and worked till 4pm yesterday so I will never be a season ticket holder, I will still try to make every game I can. We are in a rough patch at the moment but supporting BHA has always been sticking with MY team good or bad rather than a doing well Premiership team because that will come again at the Amex sooner or later. The big worry I have is this dip in form could put off a player joining us in Jan.

On another note I thought West Ham never gave Zola a great crack at turning things around so I don't have such a big problem with him having a bit of success like I would have with the prick Warnock.
remember 96/97 then it don't look so bad

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'm renewing, always will. I know football's not the be all & end all, but I've always gone through thick & thin. They're my team & I'm afraid with Brighton it's not all glory.
I would love it if everyone felt the same & we could keep the attendances up in the future, but I'm realistic enough to know that it depends upon results & performances.

D

Deleted member 18477

I probably won't be renewing. Can't really justify another 500 quid. Even split as a monthly payment. I have other more important things to pay for.

I'm not enjoying it as much as last season but that's due to the results. If I had the money I'd renew!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I have 2 season tickets and next year I will be sharing with a mate and going alternate games, if I need to buy
a ticket for the odd game so be it

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've supported the Seagulls for 34 years since being taken to the Goldstone by my Dad as a 10 year old.

I have had a season ticket for 4 of those seasons, once at The Goldstone, once at Withdean and the first two seasons at The Amex.

In the seasons I don't have a season ticket I still watch them play but just not as regularly.

This is not an issue to me - I'm a family man, I run my own business, and as much as I love The Albion - they are not the be all and end all in my life.

Our first season at The Amex was so exciting and I, like many others, thought we would push on this season. We have shown glimpses of greatness this season, but, so far, on the whole, I have come away feeling like we are just not as good as we were last season.

With all the additional seats coming on stream by March / April, I am thinking that maybe I won't renew my season ticket. I will still go to a fair few games, but unless we drastically improve over the next two or three months, I sense that a fair number of 'Mr Average' fans like me maybe feeling the same.

It just won't be hard to get tickets in future unless we are really challenging for the Premier League.

Just wondered how other Mr or Mrs Average feel at the moment?

Will I guess get some boorish abuse from the die hard fanaticals but let's hope not.

What I feel now and what I might feel another day when it's relevant are probably 2 different things.....I've no idea what my financial situation will be come April

not bothered about what type of footie we play,how could i survived the last 42 years if that bothered me but not enjoying the other bits travel catering and the idiot in charge of prematch build up so will make a decision regarding season tickets later.But if i have to pay £34 to watch a game i think around 2 games a season might be my lot:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here