Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The UK’s “Three Stage” Exit Strategy To Ease The Coronavirus Lockdown

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Any mention of dentists? I’ve been saved by taking two lots of antibiotics and prescription painkillers over the last week ...but I dread something more major happening

On a less selfish note ...somewhen there has to be a swing back by the NHS to those people who need cancer treatments ...cancer checkups etc etc I feel for those who have had ops cancelled ...those who’s quality of life has been effected miles beyond the boredom that people have complained about

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I've been wondering that. Imagine it may be reduced by a couple of weeks in order to start catching things up

To start catching what up? Missed learning?

I think any missed education time will just be taken as a hit and the best efforts will be made to catch up during ‘normal’ school time.

Opens a can of worms if you open schools in summer holidays. Remember, teachers are still working even though they’re not at school.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Long-term “shielding” for elderly and vulnerable people could mean the public being told they face limits on seeing over-70s parents or grandparents for as long as 12-18 months until a vaccine is found..

Roughly what you’d expect at this stage, although obviously a changing situation every day, so a fair chance this plan could be out of date in either direction within weeks.
However, I wonder how people who fall just above the over-70 line would feel - like my Dad. Pretty healthy, and I suspect he would rather “take his chances” if given the choice.
So, who are we talking about here? The one and a half million people (many of whom will be over 70, but by no means all) who have been identified as being in the high risk vulnerable group (in total lockdown for 12 weeks, no shopping, no going out for exercise or a walk), or all over 70s? There's a big difference, although many people think they are one and the same. They're not - there's a darned sight more than one and a half million over 70s in this country for a start.

Over 70s aren't included in the official vulnerable group unless they also have underlying health conditions and have been identified as being at risk by their doctor or consultant. As one of that group I've done almost 4 weeks of my 12 week total lockdown - but if 12 weeks becomes 12-18 months, well, I've already missed my little grandson sitting up on his own for the first time, I will certainly miss his first crawls - but 18 months? - he's likely to be walking and starting talking by then.......I think at some stage I might start just thinking, sod it, we've all got to die sometime anyway.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
So, who are we talking about here? The one and a half million people (many of whom will be over 70, but by no means all) who have been identified as being in the high risk vulnerable group (in total lockdown for 12 weeks, no shopping, no going out for exercise or a walk), or all over 70s? There's a big difference, although many people think they are one and the same. They're not - there's a darned sight more than one and a half million over 70s in this country for a start.

Over 70s aren't included in the official vulnerable group unless they also have underlying health conditions and have been identified as being at risk by their doctor or consultant. As one of that group I've done almost 4 weeks of my 12 week total lockdown - but if 12 weeks becomes 12-18 months, well, I've already missed my little grandson sitting up on his own for the first time, I will certainly miss his first crawls - but 18 months? - he's likely to be walking and starting talking by then.......I think at some stage I might start just thinking, sod it, we've all got to die sometime anyway.
I'm totally getting your worry and you have my total sympathy. I've been thinking for a few days that

a) provided at that stage there is NHS capacity AND
b) no other high risk person (who is not in explicit agreement) is impacted by the decision

any high-risk person should be allowed to opt out of this "protection"

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
To start catching what up? Missed learning?

I think any missed education time will just be taken as a hit and the best efforts will be made to catch up during ‘normal’ school time.

Opens a can of worms if you open schools in summer holidays. Remember, teachers are still working even though they’re not at school.

Fair point. I was just going by a conversation I had with someone in the office at my kids school a couple of days before school closure came in. That said none of the teaching staff there are in school currently though I'm sure they are occupied, as they didnt have enough kids to keep it open so those they did have are being looked after at another local school

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I've been wondering that. Imagine it may be reduced by a couple of weeks in order to start catching things up
e

Teachers are contracted for 195 working days per year.

The lockdown has not meant teachers are not working. In many cases, teachers have actually worked through holidays.

I wouldn’t expect to see any change to term dates.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm totally getting your worry and you have my total sympathy. I've been thinking for a few days that

a) provided at that stage there is NHS capacity AND
b) no other high risk person (who is not in explicit agreement) is impacted by the decision

any high-risk person should be allowed to opt out of this "protection"

Cheers. Of course, we can opt out at any time - I'm pretty sure the police and Tescos haven't got my details and photo to spot me if I take a walk in the park or try to get into one of their shops (I haven't done either, btw). And I do realise that lockdown for 12 weeks isn't just for my benefit - it's an attempt also to prevent overloading the NHS, which I respect.

18 months though ................ hmmmm.............

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Fair point. I was just going by a conversation I had with someone in the office at my kids school a couple of days before school closure came in. That said none of the teaching staff there are in school currently though I'm sure they are occupied, as they didnt have enough kids to keep it open so those they did have are being looked after at another local school

It’s certainly a topic that will come up I’m sure!

The future of the structure of schooling during this pandemic is something that is going to need to be addressed in more detail before long.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It’s certainly a topic that will come up I’m sure!

The future of the structure of schooling during this pandemic is something that is going to need to be addressed in more detail before long.

Definitely. I cant see many parents being willing to pay fines for unauthorised absences after this either.

I dont feel comfortable with sending mine back to school any time soon based on the kind of concerns others have voiced around social distancing and the exposure involved. But then I'm convinced that my youngest picked up the virus post half term and kindly shared it with me.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Can't see large mass gatherings being supported for ages.

Suspect not only will I lose the chance to get to the Amex again this year but also the many gigs I like to go to. Gigs I booked in July and August have already been cancelled and a couple rescheduled for October will be in doubt I suspect.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Suspect not only will I lose the chance to get to the Amex again this year but also the many gigs I like to go to. Gigs I booked in July and August have already been cancelled and a couple rescheduled for October will be in doubt I suspect.

I share you pain concerning gigs, all the psychobilly festivals I’d booked in Spain, Germany and Holland for June and July already cancelled, really hoping the one in Hamburg for my old mates the King Rockers (I’m an honorary member) in November goes ahead, it’s their 30 year anniversary and have the Guanabatz and Batmobile playing, we had red carpet ready, and i have already ordered my gold Elvis suit and Fez for the big occasion....

I’d go mental if I could never see another gig.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Definitely. I cant see many parents being willing to pay fines for unauthorised absences after this either.

I dont feel comfortable with sending mine back to school any time soon based on the kind of concerns others have voiced around social distancing and the exposure involved. But then I'm convinced that my youngest picked up the virus post half term and kindly shared it with me.

I suspect you’re right. There will be some parents who will need a lot of convincing it is safe to send their children back to school, which is a fair enough response I’d say.

I think in the 2 weeks or so prior to school closures, any child off from school was able to have the absence authorised under ‘isolation’. I would imagine something like this will continue.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I feel your pain brother, I’ve had to reschedule Mary Poppins and 9-5 musicals in London for later this year.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The failure to test in this country means we're all in the dark on this. As it say, nothing can happen until we have massively increased our testing numbers.

100% with you on this both in terms of testing those symptomatic and asymptomatic together with arguably more important serological testing which will really be the game changer about proper release of lockdown.

I get it's a delicate balancing act re the economy and mortality/infection but does anyone think that if they threw open the shackles tomorrow we'd all just go back to behaving/shopping/eating out normally? I for one won't be taking my family anywhere in enclosed spaces or close proximity of others until the testing is ramped up or a vaccine exists.

Some of the economic forecasting looks optimistic at best with some major players, think tanks and supranational bodies predicting a simple v or u shaped recover back to post covid levels. Whichever way you cut it I think this really is the time for the lost generation and will make 2008 look like peanuts in comparison.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Think you will be shocked.

The past 2 days Vhols have rebooked 100% and 92% of Holidays contacted that were due to go in next week or so.

How can holidays be rebooked when the FCO are advising against all but essential travel abroad anywhere with no end date to that in sight and other countries have implemented their own restrictions on people entering?

There's no certainty and guarantee on anything. :shrug:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I read something about not jumping out of an aircraft, opening the parachute, and then taking the parachute off before hitting the ground because it had already done its job.

Seems relevant.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I'm in the 1.5 million group as well due to an underlying condition and I don't expect life to return to normal for me for a long time but, I would hope at some point this year, I would expect to be able to make calculated decisions on low risk things I can do outside and measures I can take to safely visit some family members. I have regular blood tests so will know the state of my immune system. The increased amount of data that will be available will give a much more accurate idea of which conditions put you most at risk and developments in anti-virals may also offer some treatments which will manage the more extreme symptoms. Masks and gloves may also play a part if we ever make enough. At some point risks to mental health will also have to be factored in and balanced against physical risks from the virus.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm in the 1.5 million group as well due to an underlying condition and I don't expect life to return to normal for me for a long time but, I would hope at some point this year, I would expect to be able to make calculated decisions on low risk things I can do outside and measures I can take to safely visit some family members. I have regular blood tests so will know the state of my immune system. The increased amount of data that will be available will give a much more accurate idea of which conditions put you most at risk and developments in anti-virals may also offer some treatments which will manage the more extreme symptoms. Masks and gloves may also play a part if we ever make enough. At some point risks to mental health will also have to be factored in and balanced against physical risks from the virus.
Yes, carefully calculating risks will definitely come into play at some point for me too. Good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here