Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK's biggest Tourist Rip offs

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
£43.50 on the gate to get into Alton Towers :ohmy: You can get a 14 day pass offering unlimited entry and re-entry to every theme park and water park in Disney World Florida for £236.

Disney Single Day Ticket - £50
Year Pass to Alton Towers - £111.

Perhaps not such a rip off.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Tilgate Park as a kid was pretty good. Not sure if it's still there but I remember it to be free entry with donations accepted.
Anyone been there recently (if it is in fact still around)?

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Tilgate Park as a kid was pretty good. Not sure if it's still there but I remember it to be free entry with donations accepted.
Anyone been there recently (if it is in fact still around)?
Still same - I went there about a year ago. Nice day out

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

True. But I suppose there is so much going on at Disney World, hardly anyone buys a single admission ticket, particularly not families from the UK whose sole reason for flying to Florida for a fortnight is to spend time at WDW. You couldn't really spend a week at Alton Towers...well not unless you were completely insane :)

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
And people wonder why the british tourist industry is suffering - say you have two kids take a week off work with them and say go out 4 days at a cost of average £20 per person to get in places add the transport eating and drinking , fuel and parking costs the total cost is horrendous.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
True. But I suppose there is so much going on at Disney World, hardly anyone buys a single admission ticket, particularly not families from the UK whose sole reason for flying to Florida for a fortnight is to spend time at WDW. You couldn't really spend a week at Alton Towers...well not unless you were completely insane :)

I could, but then again I am insane so I guess you're right!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A pint of beer in Cask can be a right rip-off if you choose wrongly

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Like any city there are loads of things to do in London that don't require you spending loads of dosh.

Shame tourists don't know where they are. That's why I like going back to a City so you have the confidence to have a bit of a wander.

The only place I would probably spend money to go and see is The Tower of London although I've done that already.

My favourite places in London that don't cost anything are walking along the South Bank or Battersea Park.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
To be honest everything in London is over priced compared to other capitals in europe.
I recentley went to Berlin and was quite suprised how much cheaper their tours and attractions cost.

I didn't go to Madame Tussauds whilst I was over their but a quick look on the websites and its €20.95 on the day. I know that the exchange rate is good at the minute but i think most people would accept £21 on the day as a fairer amount.

I think charging anything more than a tenner for a stadium tour is a rip-off. Wembley is £16, Arsenal charge £17.50 according to their sites. The Albion have got it right with £10. Olympic Stadium was €7 admission or €10 for a guided tour (admitily in German, but was worth paying the extra)

The Zoo cost us €13 each compared to Londons £22.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
To be honest everything in London is over priced compared to other capitals in europe.
I recentley went to Berlin and was quite suprised how much cheaper their tours and attractions cost.

I didn't go to Madame Tussauds whilst I was over their but a quick look on the websites and its €20.95 on the day. I know that the exchange rate is good at the minute but i think most people would accept £21 on the day as a fairer amount.

I think charging anything more than a tenner for a stadium tour is a rip-off. Wembley is £16, Arsenal charge £17.50 according to their sites. The Albion have got it right with £10. Olympic Stadium was €7 admission or €10 for a guided tour (admitily in German, but was worth paying the extra)

The Zoo cost us €13 each compared to Londons £22.

Would agree with the comments on Berlin, However i did think the 11 euros for the TV Tower was a bit steep.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
£43.50 on the gate to get into Alton Towers :ohmy: You can get a 14 day pass offering unlimited entry and re-entry to every theme park and water park in Disney World Florida for £236.

Beat me too it. Better still is the premium Merlin pass which allows 12 months entry to 29 amusement parks inc Alton Towers, Chessington, Thorpe Park, Madame Tussauds, London eye and loads more for £129.30 per person on the family ticket.

Why Edna chose not to do a like for like comparison is beyond me!!!!!!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having given this matter further consideration, the fact that we paid £30 each for a seat at the Championship's two shittest football grounds last season rather makes Tussaud's pale in comparison on the rip-off scale.

Not sure either could legitimately be described as a tourist attraction, but you know where I'm coming from.

selhurst%20park%2013.jpg
portsmouth_photo.jpg
Portsmouth was £35 Edna.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
London dungeons :facepalm:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Warwick Castle - also Tussards group - £30.60 per adult on the gate or on line for the couple of days before your visit. A family ticket for 5 is an eye-watering £132!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here