Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK is now back in recession it is official

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I don't know this for sure but would one way of narrowly avoiding a contraction in Q1 be to get everybody panic buying something that is taxed quite heavily in the final few days of the quarter? If so, I'd imagine what we'll see in the next few hours is ministers taking to the airwaves and telling people not to panic but to 'ssya topped up' because, of course, people would not panic buy in that situation, would they?

Presumably come late June we'll be informed of a looming shortage of cigarettes.

Or am I being too paranoid/giving the Govt too much Machiavellian credit?
This is a wonderful theory (i.e that they are deliberately inciting panic buying). As crazy as it sounds, I cant think of any other reasonable explanation as to why they would offer such ludicrous advice.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I am very sad to say they are a crushing dissapointment as I brought their shit and even sorrier to say Ed Balls is being proved right.

saying a sound bite "too far, too fast" constantly while not having any actual policy, is not being proved right. And in reality there has been no shock and awe, some have said thats precisely the problem it is the half way house and not really done anything - the deficit is still huge, the debt continues to rise. the lack of policy to promote growth is the problem.

Albion Rob

saying a sound bite "too far, too fast" constantly while not having any actual policy, is not being proved right. And in reality there has been no shock and awe, some have said thats precisely the problem it is the half way house and not really done anything - the deficit is still huge, the debt continues to rise. the lack of policy to promote growth is the problem.

I thought they had chucked in a few suggestions like cutting VAT (possibly on certain products)?

I hear what you're saying about no policy but then again would we expect them to have an economic policy hammered out in much detail three years out from an election? I don't seem to recall Gideon offering much in the way of difference in 2007/08, in fact wasn't Dave suggesting that the Tories could come on board and help form a 'national unity Government'? Maybe Labour should make that offer now - I always saw that as a good wheeze from Cameron, making Brown look dogmatic and inflexible while making the Tories look like they were here to help.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
This is a wonderful theory (i.e that they are deliberately inciting panic buying). As crazy as it sounds, I cant think of any other reasonable explanation as to why they would offer such ludicrous advice.

Perhaps also to cause a shortage so that any sympathy for the tanker drivers case is weakened before they have even decided to strike?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps also to cause a shortage so that any sympathy for the tanker drivers case is weakened before they have even decided to strike?

What exactly are the tanker drivers striking about?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Not necessarilly. There are plenty of other ways that companies can cut costs rather than outsourcing. If they do it correctly they will be more profitable, enabling them to create more jobs in UK.

Plenty of companies who jumped on the outsourcing bandwagon are regretting it, it doesn't work for all companies.

Yes thats true, but many companies are extremely effiecient in what they do and the only resort is to outsource or move manufacturing etc

At least in France and Germany they by thier own.

The UK sold it's sole decades ago and this economic blunder only bangs another nail in the already sealed coffin.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Seriously Unc I thought you'd been quiet, that was until this a piece of bad news pops out. Come on, it's tough but we're not buying our way out of it, it's tough but it was always going to be as we'd been led down a path of borrowing and creating an easy welfare driven state.

What about the rising market for first time buyers and the increase in manufacturing. What about our credit rating and that of other world powers?

There was never a quick fix unless we'd buried our heads in the sand and kept borrowing without a plan to slow borrowing and repay the borrowing, seriously mate balance?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What exactly are the tanker drivers striking about?

Only being paid about £44,000 a year, FFS!

They consider it a dangerous job, how many Tanker Drivers have died in the last three years compared with HGV Drivers as a % of the industry?
How many Fireman, Policemen, Soldiers, Construction Workers etc

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Only being paid about £44,000 a year, FFS!

They consider it a dangerous job, how many Tanker Drivers have died in the last three years compared with HGV Drivers as a % of the industry?
How many Fireman, Policemen, Soldiers, Construction Workers etc

so in the main it's about conditions? and this in one of the safest/heath n safety countries in Europe to work in-perhaps they should try working abroad

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The UK is now back in recession it is official

The UK is back in recession with negative growth expected in Q1 2012, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development claims.

It is not official until the figures are announced, not just when it is expected.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
so in the main it's about conditions? and this in one of the safest/heath n safety countries in Europe to work in-perhaps they should try working abroad

Indeed, and for the task of pointing a truck in the right direction they get an average of £44,000, whereas, I'd estimate, the average HGV driver gets around £22-25k.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Indeed, and for the task of pointing a truck in the right direction they get an average of £44,000, whereas, I'd estimate, the average HGV driver gets around £22-25k.

Seems to me they are doing not to badly at all.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Seems to me they are doing not to badly at all.

Indeed, that's my point, they get nearly double a standard HGV driver and a good wage compared with most!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here