Votes: 194 63.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Blackadder with a commanding lead. They're already stroking the ball around at the back, not letting FT get a sniff of a chance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
@Simster you were right - Fawlty clearly had a pretty easy run.

Or is Blackadder just THAT good? Would it have beaten any other finalist?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I assumed OFAH would make it to the final and give Black adder a run for it's money.
Seemingly not so, going by the semi-final result.

Both are pretty dated, but classics.
I wouldn't bother to rewatch either of them though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I assumed OFAH would make it to the final and give Black adder a run for it's money.
Seemingly not so, going by the semi-final result.

Both are pretty dated, but classics.
I wouldn't bother to rewatch either of them though.
I'm a great fan of FT - always have been - I'm even taking Mrs WS to see India .... not at Oval though. But even I've voted Blackadder - recently treated myself to the box set to watch when Mrs WS went to Cyprus to see her parents - demolished it in 3 nights. First series has always been a bit niche and hasn't aged well but the other three, IMHO, are ageless.

I'm currently away without TV access so re-watching all of OFAH. Bar the obvious things like cars I'd say it's aged well and still very funny.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Two worthy finalists and two shows that made me laugh out loud (before LOL was even a thing) on first viewing. Both have aged (though Blackadder Goes Fourth maybe not so much) but that's ok on a message board where the overwhelming demographic must be aged between 45 and 70 these days.

Blackadder wins for me. There was more of it, it was very cleverly written, the ending was absolutely incredible and it made me laugh a lot. And I still use 'wetter than a haddock's bathing costume" today.
sticky the stick insect...:lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Two worthy finalists and two shows that made me laugh out loud (before LOL was even a thing) on first viewing. Both have aged (though Blackadder Goes Fourth maybe not so much) but that's ok on a message board where the overwhelming demographic must be aged between 45 and 70 these days.

Blackadder wins for me. There was more of it, it was very cleverly written, the ending was absolutely incredible and it made me laugh a lot. And I still use 'wetter than a haddock's bathing costume" today.
I think you'll find it's headed to victory.

I stuck with Basil, but did ponder about changing my vote.

But then I thought about Mrs Richardson and her window view and stayed with it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
No contest. Fawlty Towers had its day but now suffers badly by comparison.

Blackadder achieved across its series an absolutely beautiful mix of characters, Flashheart alone matches Cleese’s performance as Basil Fawlty, and was sparingly used.

Then there’s the ending of Blackadder 4, which I suspect was felt by all of us on first viewing.
The final episode of Blackadder would win this on it's own.
Another vote for Blackadder. I'm not going to slag off Fawlty Towewrs though, I loved that the first time I saw it. It's just not got the longevity of Blackadder.
Yes. Loved Fawlty Towers, but find it harder to watch now. Yet Blackadder still surprises me with gems I had either forgotten, or didn't notice the first/tenth time around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here