Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The two British girls caught with drugs in Ghana....

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
I don't fancy their new hotel....

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2000/af/803.htm

Prisons are in most cases very poorly maintained, and conditions are extremely harsh. In 1996 the CHRAJ published a report on prison conditions. It described prisons as unsanitary, overcrowded, and poorly ventilated. In October the commissioner of CHRAJ reported that conditions in prisons had not improved. Prisoners are malnourished. Reports of the daily food allowance per prisoner vary. In July 1999, the Minister of Interior informed Parliament that the country's prisons, with a total capacity of 5,000, housed some 9,783 inmates. The Minister also reported that there were about 90 mattresses and few beds for the approximately 700 prisoners at the Kumasi central prisons. Overcrowding contributes to a high prevalence of skin and other communicable diseases among prisoners. In April 1999, the prisoners' daily food allowance was raised from approximately $.28 (1,800 cedis) to about $.31 (2,000 cedis), bringing the total daily allowance to approximately $.50 (3,200 cedis), including housing, medical, and clothing costs; however, in practice this was a decline in real terms due to inflation and an unfavorable exchange rate. Families still supplement prisoners' food and bribe prison guards for visitation rights. Prisoners also suffer from lack of medicine unless paid for or provided by the inmates or their families, and many die of preventable diseases such as malaria because of a lack of medication. The report concluded that prison conditions were "a flagrant violation of the individual's fundamental human rights." While the Government concurred with the 1996 findings, it stated that lack of funding prevented further improvements. In April President Rawlings granted amnesty to some 1,000 prisoners based on recommendations of the Prisons Service Council. Many had served a third of their sentences, and none had been convicted for rape, robbery, or narcotics. However, a retired military officer from the PNDC era who had been sentenced to death after being convicted of killing an intruder on his farm also was released after serving 10 years in prison. The President also convened a medical board to consider early release for 156 seriously ill or aged prisoners. Juveniles were separated from the adult prison population more frequently; however, the commissioner of CHRAJ, in his October report, noted with concern the continuing sentencing and imprisonment of juveniles with adults. The Ghana Prisons Service Council has formed an assessment team to inspect facilities. In April the Minister of Interior stated that the prisons service would recruit 288 persons to increase staff at the prisons, and that work would begin during the year to upgrade prison and staff accommodations and construct 3 new prisons; however, no steps had been taken to implement these measures by year's end.

The Prison Service Council, established in 1998, visited Central and Volta Region prison facilities in early 1999. Following these inspections, the Council suggested that prison authorities adopt a more humane approach to dealing with prisoners. The Council identified the number of remand prisoners due to the courts' inability to hear cases promptly as the greatest problem facing the prison system. Some suspects allegedly plead guilty in order to be sent to prison and leave the unsanitary conditions in the police remand cells. The Council also criticized health hazards (including poor sanitation) and the state of prison structures. In a December 1999 speech at a prison officers' graduation ceremony, President Rawlings stated that the Government was considering the introduction of parole, suspended sentences, and community service as a way to alleviate the overcrowding in prisons; however, no steps were taken to implement these measures by year's end.

While the CHRAJ has access to the prisons, the Government resisted granting access to the press. Nongovernmental Organizations (NGO's) are not given access to prisons on a routine basis.

....aso this
http://www.humanrightsinitiative.org/publications/nl/newsletter_autumn_2006/article11.htm

Shame there isn't a picture. at least they don't get mod cons out there i.e., phones, gyms, TV’s, sky etc. they must of thought the prisons around the world are like ours. when we adopt to prisons around the world then our crime rate will fall.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Interesting:

Five degrees of offenses are recognized in Ghana. Capital offenses, for which the maximum penalty is death by hanging, include murder, treason, and piracy. First-degree felonies punishable by life imprisonment are limited to manslaughter, rape, and mutiny. Second-degree felonies, punishable by ten years' imprisonment, include intentional and unlawful harm to persons, perjury, and robbery. Misdemeanors, punishable by various terms of imprisonment, include assault, theft, unlawful assembly, official corruption, and public nuisances. Increased penalties apply to individuals with a prior criminal record. Corporal punishment is not permitted. Punishments for juveniles are subject to two restrictions: no death sentence may be passed against a juvenile, and no juvenile under age seventeen may be imprisoned. Regulations and laws such as these are not applied equitably. Indeed, defendants habitually resort to one or another measure to avoid or ameliorate punishment.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Amendment to my post:
Data as of November 1994

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Blimey, three Brits already in there for drugs offences, 20 years each...it ain't looking at all good...plus 260 on death row.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The news said that they would be treated as minors under Ghana law as they are under 17 and because of this the maximum sentence they could get would be 10 years. They also said that they would be incarcerated in a juvenile detention center as opposed to a prison.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
The news said that they would be treated as minors under Ghana law as they are under 17 and because of this the maximum sentence they could get would be 10 years. They also said that they would be incarcerated in a juvenile detention center as opposed to a prison.

Bet they thank god they're black, if they were white then they'd have the prospect of being raped.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

That's what I posted earlier as I saw it on Sky News at lunchtime.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
...only until they're 18? Then they'll move to the adult prison?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
That's what I posted earlier as I saw it on Sky News at lunchtime.

I know but people seem to prefer making up their own stories instead of reading the facts. They've been saying that since the story broke late last night/early this morning.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You seem remarkably knowledgeable on this matter ??? A little bit too knowledgeable ??? :lolol:

Now I'm no drug mule but I know what 3kg feels like in your hand and you can't tell me that someone could give you a laptop bag that was supposedly empty with the equivalent weight of 3 large bags of sugar inside and you wouldn't question the fact that it was empty.

Oh, and thats before you would ask the question "why do you want me to carry an empty bag through customs for you?"

:ohmy: just a bit of simple maths!

you are totally correct though, 3kg is quite a hefty weight, you couldnt possibly think a 3kg laptop bag was empty!

they were actually LUCKY, they'll do 5-10 years, write a book, make a mint

if the deal had gone thru successfully one of 2 scenarios would have occured

A) "Good work girls, heres £20,000 for your trouble, do us a favour if the old bill

speak to you, tell em you ain't seen a thing"

B) A bullet in the back of the head, and dumped in The Thames

I know where my monies going,

What do you honestly think happens to all these 'missing' back packers?

If they really are innocent as they claim (as if), then they still need locking up for their own saftey for being so f***ing stupid
:thud:

Anyone who says "I am innocent", is guilty.

That these silly persons were also thick, is true, and such a depth of thickness ought to be punished. You can bet they didn't do this on the spur of a moment, that they would have told several mates, and certainly one of them would have raised the concept that it might be illegal stuff they'd be doing.

Nope. Guilty, and throw away the key.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I would be suprised if kids these days didn't realize that carrying drugs for other people wasn't illegal....However - I wouldn't have know that at that age, let alone been travelling on my own without a parent holding my hand....My how times change....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here