Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The two British girls caught with drugs in Ghana....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would tend to take the same view as pasty, it is probably far safer for them and society that they are doing porridge, unfortunately for them it will be in Ghana.

Weren't they in Ghana on holiday, nice for them, I can't afford to go there!!!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
£300k is what the papers say "street value"

= 6 kilos at 50 quid per gram. So its not worth that really, maybe a 60-90 grand deal max

So 3k each in a laptop bag = about the right weight

You seem remarkably knowledgeable on this matter ??? A little bit too knowledgeable ??? :lolol:

Now I'm no drug mule but I know what 3kg feels like in your hand and you can't tell me that someone could give you a laptop bag that was supposedly empty with the equivalent weight of 3 large bags of sugar inside and you wouldn't question the fact that it was empty.

Oh, and thats before you would ask the question "why do you want me to carry an empty bag through customs for you?"

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
On my travels I have seen the outside Ghana's Accra womens prison. It is an old Slave Fort on the coast. As you can imagine it is not the most modern prison in the world! You can smell it before you see it due to the open sewers and 40+ DegC heat. You would not want to be drinking the local tap water.

At the time I can remember thinking that if we had those sort of prisons over here their would be a fair few criminals who might decide the risk of a stay in that sort of prison was not worth the risk of getting caught.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
They will be held in a juvenile detention centre not the women's prison.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I can't afford to go there!!!

I know of a couple of girls who could give you some tips for how to earn some easy money over there that would pay for your trip. Absolutely no risk involved. All the cargo is "empty".

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When I lived in Birmingham there was local outrage over two young ladies who were caught bringing back drugs from Thailand in exactly the same manor.

Sorry to say this but very little sympathy as the rules are very clear.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe I am old fashioned, but if my child (I am childless) was going on a 'school trip' would you not want to take them to the bus and make sure they get on it? Maybe have a quick word with the teachers in charge and wave them off with the 'other parents'?

No sympathy for either the parents or the girls involved. You reap what you sow!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Maybe I am old fashioned, but if my child (I am childless) was going on a 'school trip' would you not want to take them to the bus and make sure they get on it? Maybe have a quick word with the teachers in charge and wave them off with the 'other parents'?

No sympathy for either the parents or the girls involved. You reap what you sow!

Ooooh you bitch :safeway2::lolol:

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Not as thick as they are making out. They know what's happened, they've been caught, and they are playing the "poor stupid us" card. Tough shit. Enjoy 10 years in a Ghanaian jail. Let's hope their ability to contribute to the gene pool is well and truly f***ed by the time they get out..[/QUOTE]

Harsh.....

but fair.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Customs have some wizzy computer programs (so they say, obviously) that can profile a flight and come up with a sorted list of percentage likelihood that any given passenger will be smuggling. Based on age, previous flight history, route taken etc etc.
The two 16 year olds would probably have been top of the list on that flight and would have scored around 84% IMHO. They were probably nicked before they even left London.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Hope they get what’s coming. 10 years as they say is to little, they should get 40 years. Their ignorance is breathtaking. If they are let off then expect a tidal wave of juvenile teenagers to be caught, make an example of these drug smuggling scum and then the next wave of teenagers will think twice.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think that in their ignorance, be it feigned or not, they have been lucky that they were set up to bring drugs out of Ghana...there are many countries where they would have felt the tightening of the hangmans' noose for far lesser drugs offences.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I think that in their ignorance, be it feigned or not, they have been lucky that they were set up to bring drugs out of Ghana...there are many countries where they would have felt the tightening of the hangmans' noose for far lesser drugs offences.

Even if they are a juvenile foreign national?? Don't forget these girls are just 16.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Umm, not sure...think that in many countries the age of being declared an adult, and therefore being responsible for your actions, may vary...there must be places where 16 is considered adult, even if it is 18 in the majority of the western World.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Umm, not sure...think that in many countries the age of being declared an adult, and therefore being responsible for your actions, may vary...there must be places where 16 is considered adult, even if it is 18 in the majority of the western World.

Can be tried as an adult at 14 here, if required - 16 you generally will be, and generally won't get anonymity protection, etc. I'd expect 16 would allow full adult trials in Ghana too.

Just because someones under 18 doesn't mean they get treated any differently by the law (in theory...)

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Even if they are a juvenile foreign national?? Don't forget these girls are just 16.

And are pretty clever by the newspapers so being naive is out the quotation. They new what they was bringing back. Makes me laugh when they say we was told to bring back two lap top bags back and give them to some boy at Heathrow but didn’t know what for. Do behave.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't fancy their new hotel....

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2000/af/803.htm

Prisons are in most cases very poorly maintained, and conditions are extremely harsh. In 1996 the CHRAJ published a report on prison conditions. It described prisons as unsanitary, overcrowded, and poorly ventilated. In October the commissioner of CHRAJ reported that conditions in prisons had not improved. Prisoners are malnourished. Reports of the daily food allowance per prisoner vary. In July 1999, the Minister of Interior informed Parliament that the country's prisons, with a total capacity of 5,000, housed some 9,783 inmates. The Minister also reported that there were about 90 mattresses and few beds for the approximately 700 prisoners at the Kumasi central prisons. Overcrowding contributes to a high prevalence of skin and other communicable diseases among prisoners. In April 1999, the prisoners' daily food allowance was raised from approximately $.28 (1,800 cedis) to about $.31 (2,000 cedis), bringing the total daily allowance to approximately $.50 (3,200 cedis), including housing, medical, and clothing costs; however, in practice this was a decline in real terms due to inflation and an unfavorable exchange rate. Families still supplement prisoners' food and bribe prison guards for visitation rights. Prisoners also suffer from lack of medicine unless paid for or provided by the inmates or their families, and many die of preventable diseases such as malaria because of a lack of medication. The report concluded that prison conditions were "a flagrant violation of the individual's fundamental human rights." While the Government concurred with the 1996 findings, it stated that lack of funding prevented further improvements. In April President Rawlings granted amnesty to some 1,000 prisoners based on recommendations of the Prisons Service Council. Many had served a third of their sentences, and none had been convicted for rape, robbery, or narcotics. However, a retired military officer from the PNDC era who had been sentenced to death after being convicted of killing an intruder on his farm also was released after serving 10 years in prison. The President also convened a medical board to consider early release for 156 seriously ill or aged prisoners. Juveniles were separated from the adult prison population more frequently; however, the commissioner of CHRAJ, in his October report, noted with concern the continuing sentencing and imprisonment of juveniles with adults. The Ghana Prisons Service Council has formed an assessment team to inspect facilities. In April the Minister of Interior stated that the prisons service would recruit 288 persons to increase staff at the prisons, and that work would begin during the year to upgrade prison and staff accommodations and construct 3 new prisons; however, no steps had been taken to implement these measures by year's end.

The Prison Service Council, established in 1998, visited Central and Volta Region prison facilities in early 1999. Following these inspections, the Council suggested that prison authorities adopt a more humane approach to dealing with prisoners. The Council identified the number of remand prisoners due to the courts' inability to hear cases promptly as the greatest problem facing the prison system. Some suspects allegedly plead guilty in order to be sent to prison and leave the unsanitary conditions in the police remand cells. The Council also criticized health hazards (including poor sanitation) and the state of prison structures. In a December 1999 speech at a prison officers' graduation ceremony, President Rawlings stated that the Government was considering the introduction of parole, suspended sentences, and community service as a way to alleviate the overcrowding in prisons; however, no steps were taken to implement these measures by year's end.

While the CHRAJ has access to the prisons, the Government resisted granting access to the press. Nongovernmental Organizations (NGO's) are not given access to prisons on a routine basis.

....aso this
http://www.humanrightsinitiative.org/publications/nl/newsletter_autumn_2006/article11.htm

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Can be tried as an adult at 14 here, if required - 16 you generally will be, and generally won't get anonymity protection, etc. I'd expect 16 would allow full adult trials in Ghana too.

Just because someones under 18 doesn't mean they get treated any differently by the law (in theory...)

They are in this country unless it is a grave crime. Even then they start off in the youth court and then go to Crown court.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here