Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Truth about that Avatar

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Apologies if you are bored of reading posts about my Avatar.

Originally I decided to try and find a little black kid to represent Leon, as I believe he has acted childishly over the past few months. Plus, I gave a Brighton shirt to a little Kid in Malawi, when I visited on a mission via my school. Raising money for schools for the blind, schools for orphans and medical supplies for hospitals. To see the look of delight on this kids face when he got the shirt was truly magical and I suspect it is one of a kind in malawi. I did have a photo taken, but my camera got stolen about a week later :down:

However, I did not forsee such contoversy arise. There are many things it can now stand for and I like LIs suggestion that it could also stand for how poor this child is, and our problems as a club pale in comparison.

I will reinstate my Dr Bunsen as I like that one, but this Political Correctness uproar is rather extreme to say the least.

I honestly can't see how you can brand someone as being racist for creating a picture. If you have met me, then you will know that I am not racist and I find it offensive to be labelled in that way.

That is all.

Now lets beat those Sky Blues and book a tie with a "Big Club"

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Don't worry about it Barrel, who gives a shit what some of the goons on here think. You know your not racist and what the avatar was put up for and thats all that counts, so if you want put it back up. Genral consensus seems to be that there isn't a problem with it so its their problem not yours.

Last edited:

BarrelofFun said:
Apologies if you are bored of reading posts about my Avatar.

Originally I decided to try and find a little black kid to represent Leon, as I believe he has acted childishly over the past few months. Plus, I gave a Brighton shirt to a little Kid in Malawi, when I visited on a mission via my school. Raising money for schools for the blind, schools for orphans and medical supplies for hospitals. To see the look of delight on this kids face when he got the shirt was truly magical and I suspect it is one of a kind in malawi. I did have a photo taken, but my camera got stolen about a week later :down:

However, I did not forsee such contoversy arise. There are many things it can now stand for and I like LIs suggestion that it could also stand for how poor this child is, and our problems as a club pale in comparison.

I will reinstate my Dr Bunsen as I like that one, but this Political Correctness uproar is rather extreme to say the least.

I honestly can't see how you can brand someone as being racist for creating a picture. If you have met me, then you will know that I am not racist and I find it offensive to be labelled in that way.

That is all.

Now lets beat those Sky Blues and book a tie with a "Big Club"

All good points, but toughen up that skin, the pirhanas on here will eat you alive otherwise :thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As a fully signed-up, marching and decorated member of the PC Brigade, I saw nothing whatsoever offensive about the picture of the little African kid. As mentioned above, I think you've been duped.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Top work in Malawi, Barrel. I went out there for a month about six years ago, most amazing country, but it was so poor it broke my heart. Bet that kid loved the shirt :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
bollocks to them all barreloffun that avatar made me laugh

as i said in another thread

BRING BACK THAT PICTURE OF LEONS BIG BROTHER :thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
larus said:
BarreloFun. For those of us unfortunate enough not to have seen your avatar, would you kindly post the 'disgusting racist' picture on this thread please.

Thanks in advance.

Again apologies for any offence ;) :lolol:

With the caption - Leon left to find his own way home with no bus fare and just his yellow kit.

LI, I have jettisoned the moisturiser, as I write.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
BarrelofFun said:
There are many things it can now stand for and I like LIs suggestion that it could also stand for how poor this child is, and our problems as a club pale in comparison.
People try and read too much into everything these days. All you did was find a picture that looked like the player in question (which it did), it had nothing to do with skin colour or our shirt sponsor. I think the thread was a piss take anyway.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
eastlondonseagull said:
Top work in Malawi, Barrel. I went out there for a month about six years ago, most amazing country, but it was so poor it broke my heart. Bet that kid loved the shirt :thumbsup:

It was the Sandtex Man U lookalike shirt.

It was surreal that this hospital in question had not had a new syringe for over 4 months, and hospitals here, throw them out because they are "past their use by date".

I have never met so many friendly people in one country....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
PC is ruining this country

If the muslims etc dont care about people flying union jacks or referring to christmas then why do white middle class guardian readers wring their hands at this.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I really doubt safeway was actually offended. I expect he was just being a little scamp and setting off those that do like to get offended as a hobby.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
BarrelofFun said:
It was the Sandtex Man U lookalike shirt.

It was surreal that this hospital in question had not had a new syringe for over 4 months, and hospitals here, throw them out because they are "past their use by date".

I have never met so many friendly people in one country....

Where was the hosi? I stayed in Lilongwe with my mate's relatives for most of the time, but I know a bloke who's a doctor at a hospital in Blantyre. Another friend is flying out over the summer to build a school at the foot of Mt Mulanje.

It was the rainy season when I was there and boy were there HUGE pot-holes you could drown in, the crops were all washed away, shocking stuff.

You're so right about the people - so friendly.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
PC is ruining this country

If the muslims etc dont care about people flying union jacks or referring to christmas then why do white middle class guardian readers wring their hands at this.

I agree with that entirely.

PC Brigade Member 264.

Last edited:

Also a PCB marcher and I thought it was brilliant. Just Safeway out fishing again innit.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
eastlondonseagull said:
Where was the hosi? I stayed in Lilongwe with my mate's relatives for most of the time, but I know a bloke who's a doctor at a hospital in Blantyre. Another friend is flying out over the summer to build a school at the foot of Mt Mulanje.

It was the rainy season when I was there and boy were there HUGE pot-holes you could drown in, the crops were all washed away, shocking stuff.

You're so right about the people - so friendly.

Yet another country that has been ignored despite famine and a shocking rise in aids.

Camped at Lilongwe golf course. The forst hopistal was about 1 hour drive (30 minute walk) from Sani half way up Lake Malawi.
Then another one near Kamusu.

Then camped at the foot of Mulanje before making our way up.

A school for the blind near Lilongwe and then an orphanage in Blantyre.

Fantastic country.

Were you a Green or Brown man?

It was a very good fish by Safeway. Glad to know I have the backing of the PC brigade ;)

Nice break from McGhee sacking/support threads :D

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here