Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tour de France 1994 in Brighton

The route of Le Tour included TWO climbs of Elm Grove, not just one. Somewhere or other I must have details of the whole route of the Dover - Brighton stage, because I was quite heavily involved in organising things like road closures, bus route diversions and park and ride services on the day - we used Waterhall / Mill Road and Plumpton Racecourse to provide spectator access to Brighton and Ditchling Beacon. I managed to sneak away and watch the event myself in Elm Grove.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Although they made it look flat. :down:

I know, it is ridiculous. The nearest us Sussex cyclists can get to a proper climb, in TDF it was not even classified as a climb. As for them riding up Elm Grove most were cranking up there in the big ring. It is when you see these guys for real that you realise how you are pathetically weak and unfit you are.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The route of Le Tour included TWO climbs of Elm Grove, not just one. Somewhere or other I must have details of the whole route of the Dover - Brighton stage, because I was quite heavily involved in organising things like road closures, bus route diversions and park and ride services on the day - we used Waterhall / Mill Road and Plumpton Racecourse to provide spectator access to Brighton and Ditchling Beacon. I managed to sneak away and watch the event myself in Elm Grove.

Quite right Lord B. The stage finished with a circuit of Brighton, so yes, two flybys on Elm Grove. I also remember the lawns around the pavilion area were given over to circus tents and such like providing pre race entertainment for the crowds. T'was truly a great day out...ah, happy days.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I had a nice vantage point along Ditchling High Street.

The whole of the route through East Sussex was plastered with temporary signs giving advance notice of road closures and diversions. When the event was over and ESCC went out to take down the signs, not a single one could be found. They had ALL been removed by souvenir hunters. Except for one, which is on display at Bracknell Towers.

Dalef65

Oct 12, 2010
Its coming back to UK in the next couple of years isnt it...?
Dont know if it will be in Brighton again though..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've got a copy of the official guide 'Le Tour En Angleterre'. Includes grading for the difficulty of climbs. Ditchling Beacon was graded 4 (the easiest grade) with Elm Grove as a Grade 3. A spot of light jogging for the riders then. Christ knows what it must be like to cycle up - or even walk up! - the Grade 1 and Grade H (hors catégorie) climbs in the mountain stages of the tour. A slow and painful death most likely.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
The time they went up Wilsons Avenue and down Elm Grove was for the World Cup races in 1990 & 91. If they'd have stuck with Brighton rather than taking the race to Leeds and then Rochester - both rubbish routes - I'm sure the UK would still have a big one day race.

I watched the '94 Tour at the race hill and watched an overweight Greg Lemond (3 time tour winner) hanging off the back of the bunch.

The Tour finished on Marine Parade whereas the 1990 World Cup race finished down on Madeira Drive -which is a brilliant venue for a bike race finish

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
:bounce:

Just found this - Castle in Hickstead taken 6/7/94

Attachments

• 4345049.jpg
    4345049.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 75

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
They went near Haywards Heath too, can't remember the place where I watched them exactly but it was by a petrol station/garage.

that was Wivelsfield Green, i was there too. Seemed like an hours worth of advertising vehicles followed by 20 seconds of cyclists

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
1. Down Ditchling Road
2. Turned left at the south end of the level.
3. Along Lewes Road to Elm Grove
4. Up Elm Grove
5. Along Warren Road to Wilson Avenue
6. Down Wilson Avenue to the seafront
7. West along the seafront as far at the Palace Pier
8. Right at Palace Pier to go through Old Steine and Grand Parade to the junction of Ditchling Road / Lewes at the south end of the Level.
9. Repeated 3-7
10 Sprint along Madeira Drive to the finish.

FIN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here