Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tour de France 1994 in Brighton

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Can anyone remember the route in Brighton?

I know they came from Dover but am not sure where they went in town.

Can't find it online anywhere...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
From Old Boat Corner, they went down Ditchling Road to the Palace Pier, along the front towards the Marina, up Wilsons Avenue (possibly twice?), out towards Rottingdean, and then ended up in a sprint finish along Madeira Drive (iirc)

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Thank you Spun Cuppa and Notters.

My dad couldn't remember if it was up or down Elm Grove.

Did they come over the Beacon?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Remember watching from the Level / bottom Elm Grove, waited for a long time. They raced via Ditchling as the Beacon was one of their hill climbs (possibly twice ?)

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I watched the pelaton go past Hollingbury Golf Course with some mates (blink and you missed it!), then nipped over a field to get home and watch the climax on Sky Sports :smile:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They definitely went up Elm Grove, a photo was posted on here a while back.

I have lots of photos that I took of them coming up Elm Grove. I stood nearly half way up and was gobsmacked at the speed that they all went up it. I have a particularly good one of Johan Museeuw wearing yellow :). I wish I knew how to scan it and post it on here :(

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
img016.jpgimg017.jpgimg019.jpgimg018.jpg

Here's a few. Elm Grove and Marine Parade. Once you were in the inner city circle you couldn't move about.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
A group of us spent the day about half way up Elm Grove just across from a pub. Took it in turns to go and get refreshment while we were waiting for the caravanne

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Was working at the bottom of North Street. Watched on TV until they were close, ran across the Steine to see them whoosh past in the blink of an eye, then ran back to the office to watch them carry on.

I thought they went down Wilson Avenue, but might be wrong.

A lot of fuss about nothing in the end. Not really a spectator sport.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
From Old Boat Corner, they went down Ditchling Road to the Palace Pier, along the front towards the Marina, up Wilsons Avenue (possibly twice?), out towards Rottingdean, and then ended up in a sprint finish along Madeira Drive (iirc)

Just about correct though they didnt go anywhere near Rottingdean, stand corrected though, but I seem to recall that they came down Elm Grove, via the steine, along Marine Parade up Wilsons Avenue (definitely twice) and a finish in maderia drive

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's a nice 3rd photo there Skipper because that's Sean Yates in the Motorola top with the shades and earring. He's a Sussex lad from Forest Row and as the stage that day passed through Forest Row he was allowed by the peloton to ride ahead so he could get off and greet his family on the streets of Forest Row. A lovely Tour tradition given to all riders who pass through their home town.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That's a nice 3rd photo there Skipper because that's Sean Yates in the Motorola top with the shades and earring. He's a Sussex lad from Forest Row and as the stage that day passed through Forest Row he was allowed by the peloton to ride ahead so he could get off and greet his family on the streets of Forest Row. A lovely Tour tradition given to all riders who pass through their home town.

He was one of the riders I was looking to picture, I missed Boardman, Indurain and some yank called Armstrong who had the white Jersey at the time. I went to the cafe in Elm Grove as it was a good place to wait and I thought they would be going slow enough to spot. As they go up Elm Grove about as fast as I can go down that didn't work. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He was one of the riders I was looking to picture, I missed Boardman, Indurain and some yank called Armstrong who had the white Jersey at the time. I went to the cafe in Elm Grove as it was a good place to wait and I thought they would be going slow enough to spot. As they go up Elm Grove about as fast as I can go down that didn't work. :lol:

Nice work then Skipper as you picked Yates out a treat there. :thumbsup:

It was truly awe inspiring seeing them go up Elm Grove wasn't it. I saw Millar fly up Goudhurst Hill in a 5 man break away group a couple of years ago too and even though I knew what was coming it still had me shaking my head in disbelief. Watching the prologue the day before on Constitution Hill and in front of Buckingham Palace was a bit special too.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I remember when they went down ditchling road they zoomed past, i think some guy got knocked down as they went past or somethung

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here