Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tory backed opinion polls

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Ever get the feeling that the polls are almost now brainwashing us into believing that Cameron will be at No10 on Friday?

Hope they get it wrong like in 1992! (but a different result this time)

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
how come you never stood for election harty? or have you? you'd make a good politician.

we need to meet soon to sort out the boxing night

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's horfically annoying isn't it? And why do they have to immediately asK partisans like Ashdown and Mandelson "who won the debate?", immediately after each debate.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
most polls are showing a hung parliament thought aren't they?

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Most opinion polls are biased in one way or the other it just depends who has paid for the polling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sky News, as of yesterday, was STILL persisting with its scrolling poll numbers, one of which was a MORI poll showing the Lib Dems behind Labour on 23%, which is a good 5% below what every other poll has the Lib Dems on.

This MORI poll figure has been there, unchanged, for more than 2 weeks.

I wouldn't say Sky News is outright biased but their presentation is, at best, misleading. Immediately after the last debate they led with the story that YouGov poll for The Sun had clearly made Cameron the winner, then proceeded to angle their presentation along the lines of "Cameron won so how will this affect things".

I've switched to BBC News for all things election-based. Their coverage and presentation has been very fair.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Most opinion polls are biased in one way or the other it just depends who has paid for the polling.

I'm not so sure. It is in the interest of the polling companies to try and get the most accurate result as possible, as this will give them most credibility, which is what will bring them business in market research etc..

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wouldn't say Sky News is outright biased but their presentation is, at best, misleading. Immediately after the last debate they led with the story that YouGov poll for The Sun had clearly made Cameron the winner, then proceeded to angle their presentation along the lines of "Cameron won so how will this affect things".

I've switched to BBC News for all things election-based. Their coverage and presentation has been very fair.

Sky News' coverage following the 2nd debate was amusing in that they kept reporting the 1 poll that had DC as the winner, but brushed aside those that showed NC as the winner!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ever get the feeling that the polls are almost now brainwashing us into believing that Cameron will be at No10 on Friday?

I get the feeling most people have had enough of Labour, so I hope to see some blue ousting the reds in no 10 :thumbsup:

I doubt the polls are any more Tory backed than the ones that had Blair in no 10 the week before it happened were Labour backed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When Murdoch took control of Sky some commentators expressed a fear that the Sky News reporting would be biased towards the right.

That bias has been pretty much put in check whilst Sun-endorsed Blair's New Labour were in control but now, perhaps for the first time, we're really seeing the sort of clear bias in their news reporting that people feared would happen.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
The media's influence in this country is quite shocking to be honest.

The fact that NO TV news station has yet broadcast the story about Philippa Stroud's "pray the gay away" beliefs is quite UNBELIEVABLE.

You can get completely conflicting messages depending on where you look. If the Murdoch controlled press of Sky News, The Sun and The Times are to be believed the Tories have already won and yet if you do a search on Twitter it's a landslide for the Labour party.

You'd think the BBC would be independent but too many of their execs have come out as Blue and they're also guilty of failing to report the Philippa Stroud story.

I just hope with the rise of user generated content and people power the media's influence will wane and a lot of the bullshit they're reporting and the news stories they're not won't actually affect the outcome of the election.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

What do you want then Harty...more of the same crap we've had for the last 13 years?
Most polls I read seem to suggest a hung Parliament,but I've got a feeling and I hope I am correct, that Cameron will gain a small majority.If people actually take note of some of the Libdem policies,there is quite a lot not to like.....for many bods......road pricing,inadequate power supply policy,dodgy defence policy.I do like the thought of a local income tax rather than Council Tax...can't see that happening though.The Libdems are a strange mixture with some quite extreme lefties mixed up with others with what I would call more reasonable views.
Each to his own view;whatever happens,we are in for a hard old time I reckon!Let's hope Tony B's luck and fortune hold up anyway!!!Bloom I mean not Bliar!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
that would be the polls pointing towards a hung parliament then, that have the Tories unchanged in 4 weeks and the Liberals beating Labour into 3rd? very biased.

I cannot see Cameron being the PM it just doesn't seem like it will happen.

I cannot see Brown in power after Thursday.
Cameron might not be a Thatcher, however, the conservatives have always been the party who cleans up after Labours mess.

I suspect the Labour party will regroup lick it's wounds & probably get back in power in 8 years time.

Heaven help us with a hung parliament. Take a look at Italian or Israeli politics to see that weak government is not a successful mandate to get the job done.

larus

So, something isn't as you would like it and it's being rigged :shrug:.

Not long to wait, but I think that Labour's in for more of a pasting on Thu than the polls show.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I am sure it has been said on other threads, but the opinion polls are only a snapshot of between 1000 & 2000 people, so obviously not 100% reliable.

The 1997 election was a no brainer, and the following two were nailed on for Labour as they had such a large majorities. The last close election in 1992 they got wrong.

These polls may even work in favour of Labour, as their supporters were leaving in droves, but could not face voting for another party. The thought of Cameron getting in may now spur these on to get off the arses and down to the polling booths.

Just a thought

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here