Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The timing of the pre-match GOSBTS

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I l

They used to mute it on the chorus anyway so it was no different really. I actually quite liked the fact everyone was singing it as we kicked off. Id rather that than the Hey Jude crap! They also didn't put the words on the screen tonight! Are they teasing us?
This .

I was in the bin camp but tonight it was actually alright.

With a full stadium, and being 10 seconds earlier (don’t read the subs out), it would be perfect. And no words!

Sounded good.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I like it before kick off.

Thought it was good to still be singing it after kick off.

I thought it worked great last night too. The music faded just as we kicked off and I agree it was great to still be singing after kick off.

I thought having the words on the advertising hoardings was a good idea, it is a good compromise for those that need the words to join in (I am neurodivergent and even though I have been attending since 1979 I still need the words) and those who don't want the words on the screen.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Very simple - the majority want (with proof of polls on here):
1) Sussex By the Sea as we come out as it has always been.
2) No lyrics on the screen or boards

Job done and don’t change it. Can someone tag the ‘fan’ engagement people who post on here as this is exactly the sort of thing they should be relaying.
Perhaps because it has never been tested at any other time? I think it might grow on people just before kick off judging by last night. I felt it got the atmosphere going in the North too. I was on the fence on Saturday but after last night I'm leaning heavily to extending the trial tbh.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I don't read the words off the screen and East Upper I can't see the advertising screens well. But Wolves I was in the lower west and saw the words going along the advertising screens. I've been singing the wrong words for 10 years!! That said, most around me in EU sing the same as me.
ME
Now is the time for marching, Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring, my boys, And take the time from me,
And we'll tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!
GENUINE
Now is the time for marching, Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring, my boys, And take the time from me,
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Perhaps because it has never been tested at any other time? I think it might grow on people just before kick off judging by last night. I felt it got the atmosphere going in the North too. I was on the fence on Saturday but after last night I'm leaning heavily to extending the trial tbh.
Both ways will work as its the first time fans sing GOSBTS at the game.

It's jsut better as the teams come out. Thats the song we come out to. Thats our tradition and associated with us.

Looks like the club are pushing forward with this regardless though

It's more a lean towards the goal music catogory. Reminds me of Arsenals crappy London forever. It's played for a singalong and fan engagement.

Don't like it.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
People don’t like change. Fact.

I’ll go with whatever the club decide is best.

It’s like going to the theatre and demanding the curtain call is at the start. Grow up FFS.

Jul 2, 2024
I really can't see any benefit in this change. It isn't creating a better atmosphere before kick off as everyone is still confused on the change. It feels too quiet when the players now walk out and too long of a wait until GOSBTS starts. Eveything about is just doesn't work.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
GOSBTS should be played/sung when the teams walk out from the tunnel, this 'new' format means that GOSBTS is being cut short as the ref blows the whistle for the game to start. The lyrics should be on the advertising boards and on the screens. The screens should also include translations (1) for any new fans, (2) for the number of Japanese fans who now attend the Amex & (3) the number of Turkish fans who have attended the last couple of games to witness 'Ferdi' time, all of which may not know the lyrics 😇👍

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
GOSBTS should be played/sung when the teams walk out from the tunnel, this 'new' format means that GOSBTS is being cut short as the ref blows the whistle for the game to start. The lyrics should be on the advertising boards and on the screens. The screens should also include translations (1) for any new fans, (2) for the number of Japanese fans who now attend the Amex & (3) the number of Turkish fans who have attended the last couple of games to witness 'Ferdi' time, all of which may not know the lyrics 😇👍
Maybe you're joking, judging by the stuff about translations - but to address the first point... it's not being cut any shorter than before as the whole point is for the crowd to sing the chorus. While the PA has to stop when the whistle blows, the fans don't.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I posted this in the poll thread but no harm in repeating here.

Direct quote from PBOBE on this:

"As ever, many people have different views. Our job is to maximise the atmosphere pre-match - it appears to be better with GOSBTS in its new place - and also support the players to get off to the best start in matches (and their preference is to play GOSBTS where it now is)."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here