Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Times league 1 predictions

This is just laughable, especially the "last seasons relegation batle was grimly predicatable". Apart from the fact that having finished 7th we were expecting a whole better season that the one we got

Brighton

Russell Slade is the latest manager charged with the formidable task of fulfilling Brighton’s considerable potential. Last season’s relegation battle was grimly predictable and, for all Slade’s determination to produce a hard-working team, few on the South Coast are expecting an improvement. :clap2:Joel Lynch has moved on, to Nottingham Forest, with Liam Dickinson the most notable arrival, from Derby County.

Prediction: 22

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No we didn't, our record under Slade was W6 D2 L5 (and that is excluding the Orient match in which he had just been appointed and we lost).

Over a season, that form would have brought us NINTH in the league, which I think is reasonable.

Or, you could look at the first few games as him bedding in, and argue the final 6 games are the ones that are more representative of a Russell Slade bha team.

W4 D1 L1 which would put us top.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interestingly the Sunday Times yesterday had us down as a 'team to watch' in their little analysis. It said something like we'd made 'intriguing signings' and if they gelled we could spring a surprise. It also said that Slade 'had his admirers in the higher divisions'.

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
If RS reads the Times, what better incentive than photocopying that prediction and putting a copy on the wall in the home changing room at Withdean. He would point at it before every game and say:

"Look at that lads, is that where you think you belong? Well is it? Are YOU that team?"

No better incentive in football than proving some no-mark press bitch wrong, along with everyone else.

I hear this sort of thing said all the time, but do you really think that professional footballers care two hoots what someone in the press or an opposition side says, or that it makes a difference to how much effort they put in?

I hear this sort of thing said all the time, but do you really think that professional footballers care two hoots what someone in the press or an opposition side says, or that it makes a difference to how much effort they put in?

Funnily enough YES.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No we didn't, our record under Slade was W6 D2 L5 (and that is excluding the Orient match in which he had just been appointed and we lost).

Over a season, that form would have brought us NINTH in the league, which I think is reasonable.

Pedant. :p

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the author had looked at pre-season results and added this to last season's finish this could explain the 22nd prediction.

Conceivably, if we got off to a bad start and the signing's didn't gel then, yes, we could finish in the bottom half of the table.

What baffles me is that the bookies have had us 6th in the pecking order for the last month, so you'd think the author might have stated his reasons why he/she thinks there might be a 16 place swing from conventional thinking.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So what you're saying is that a professional footballer's default position is to not try their hardest in every game?

Probably. Given how players are able to step up several levels when they face Premiership opponents in a cup match, or for local derbies or against "big" opponents etc.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I remember a thread from last year. I think it was an Orient fan did his own preview and everyone was knocking one out over it, saying how knowledgeable he was and what a joy it was to read such informed comments about the division. He had us down to win it and Yeovil to finish bottom so shows what he knew.

I did a quick search but could only find a binfest between Morris and Dullard 433. I’d love to read that again if anyone can find it.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I repeat, THE SUNDAY TIMES has us down to go up!!! Internally, they can't make their minds up therefore.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Perhaps when we finish in the top 6 or even better get promoted we can remind them about this.

If we don't do better than 22nd we can just keep quiet!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I remember a thread from last year. I think it was an Orient fan did his own preview and everyone was knocking one out over it, saying how knowledgeable he was and what a joy it was to read such informed comments about the division. He had us down to win it and Yeovil to finish bottom so shows what he knew.

I did a quick search but could only find a binfest between Morris and Dullard 433. I’d love to read that again if anyone can find it.

An Leyton Orient fans view of the upcoming season... - North Stand Chat

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Or, you could look at the first few games as him bedding in, and argue the final 6 games are the ones that are more representative of a Russell Slade bha team.

W4 D1 L1 which would put us top.

I suspect you could look at six results from most of our managers (with honourable exceptions to Jeff Wood, Martin Hinshelwood and Jimmy Case) and they all would good.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suspect you could look at six results from most of our managers (with honourable exceptions to Jeff Wood, Martin Hinshelwood and Jimmy Case) and they all would good.

They'd have to be consecutive games, otherwise it's just cherry picking to suit an agenda. ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here