Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The ticking Profit and Sustainability (FFP) timebomb...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Not seen a recent chart but I think their turnover is likely a fair bit higher than ours owing to commercial revenue (primarily sponsorships). Struggling to find anything to back this up, mind, so might be mistaken..

I think its 178 million vs our 174 million as far as a can find on google.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Don't know enough about for the others you mention, But Spurs are nowhere near FFP breaches because of the way they are run by Levy.

Levy has been pro FFP since it came in, obviously for his own reasons, but he's not complained about it and has run the club well.

. . . And for his troubles, his club are a laughing stock for not winning anything. Chelsea and City however are reaping the rewards of pushing the boundaries of FFP.

I have little confidence in any of it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Probably explains why Forest have hardly bought anyone this season after their insane spending the season before.

What about Man City’s charges though. Why is that taking so long?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Probably explains why Forest have hardly bought anyone this season after their insane spending the season before.

The richest most powerful people get the best lawyers. There are over 100 alleged charges; kicking the can down the road over each of them means it could take some considerable time to get to the justice the game needs.

For example, a lawyer might argue, where exactly does it say that your sponsors can’t pick up half a player’s salary and that you can’t receive 10x the market rate of a sponsorship contract from a club your ownership is linked to?

I’m hoping this means that the eventual punishment will be a lot more severe.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I thought I read a while ago that it's because City have deep enough pockets to clog up the legal system.

Happy to be corrected on this though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The richest most powerful people get the best lawyers. There are over 100 alleged charges; kicking the can down the road over each of them means it could take some considerable time to get to the justice the game needs.

For example, a lawyer might argue, where exactly does it say that your sponsors can’t pick up half a player’s salary and that you can’t receive 10x the market rate of a sponsorship contract from a club your ownership is linked to?

I’m hoping this means that the eventual punishment will be a lot more severe.
My guess is that the eventual punishment is nonexistent. Surely this would cast some doubt over the validity of about many years of Premier League results?

Not sure the competition will want that kind of negative press.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
10 points each then? Both might struggle to stay up if that is the case.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought I read a while ago that it's because City have deep enough pockets to clog up the legal system.

Happy to be corrected on this though.
Also most of the charges relate to things brought to the public eye by disclosure by a hacker.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Also most of the charges relate to things brought to the public eye by disclosure by a hacker.
That's not correct. The hacker referred to in that article was involved in the Uefa case against City several years ago. City successfully got his evidence barred because it was obtained illegally. Furthermore, many of the other charges against them by Uefa were time barred. City got away with it because of technicalities, not because they were innocent. That articles suggests he had offered to help the EPL but he hasn't provided the evidence for the EPL charges this time.

Pretty certain under the EPL rules, nothing can be time barred.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That's not correct. The hacker referred to in that article was involved in the Uefa case against City several years ago. City successfully got his evidence barred because it was obtained illegally. Furthermore, many of the other charges against them by Uefa were time barred. City got away with it because of technicalities, not because they were innocent. That articles suggests he had offered to help the EPL but he hasn't provided the evidence for the EPL charges this time.

Pretty certain under the EPL rules, nothing can be time barred.
A number of the charges relate to secret payments to a manager and players. That relates directly to the leaks.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-charged-by-pl-for-alleged-financial-breaches

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
10 points each then? Both might struggle to stay up if that is the case.

I just looked at the table, I think it's quite impressive that even with a 20 point deduction Everton would only be 2 points behind sheff.

Think Everton would still be ok, shoot out between Luton and Forest for the third drop spot

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A number of the charges relate to secret payments to a manager and players. That relates directly to the leaks.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-charged-by-pl-for-alleged-financial-breaches
It is highly unlikely that the EPL will be relying on any evidence from the hacker. He might have found evidence that inferred the payments to Mancini but the documentary evidence will have either been uncovered by the EPL investigators or part of documentation submitted by Man City. Evidence from the hacker was already disallowed by CAS so no point the EPL going down the same route. What you could say is that because of previous revelations by the hacker, the EPL had an idea of what to look for along with other transgressions.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It is highly unlikely that the EPL will be relying on any evidence from the hacker. He might have found evidence that inferred the payments to Mancini but the documentary evidence will have either been uncovered by the EPL investigators or part of documentation submitted by Man City. Evidence from the hacker was already disallowed by CAS so no point the EPL going down the same route. What you could say is that because of previous revelations by the hacker, the EPL had an idea of what to look for along with other transgressions.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/premier-league-ap-uefa-manchester-city-english-b2276845.html

States here the information given by Pinto directly relates to City. City themselves did not deny the information is correct. Some of the charges directly relate to this information. Obviously knowing the details the EPL have attempted to find the information by legal avenues, City though haven't exactly been forthcoming. Therefore they should just be banned forever.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
. . . And for his troubles, his club are a laughing stock for not winning anything. Chelsea and City however are reaping the rewards of pushing the boundaries of FFP.

I have little confidence in any of it.
Pushing the boundaries is nonsense. Chelsea have won their titles through money laundering and the City group with its multi club bottomless pit of money through state ownership have cheated and flouted FFP with impunity. If I didn’t support Brighton I would rather support Spurs than either Chelsea or City. Chelsea and City represent everything wrong with fair competition in football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here