Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The ticking Profit and Sustainability (FFP) timebomb...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Still Arsenal gave the manager who had lost Leeds City their place in the league - which they gratefully accepted - a job as their manager. Cheats or .................... just convenient coincidence? Anyway, the undeserving sods have still never won promotion to the PL/1st. division. Fact.

As I said in my previous post Arsenal didn’t take Leeds City place in the first division.

Leeds City spent their entire league history playing in the second division, they were never promoted, so it was impossible for Arsenal to replace them in the first division.

Also I’m not sure what coincidence there is in Herbert Chapman taking the Arsenal job about 6 years after Leeds City were expelled from the Football League.

Arsenal have previously won promotion to the First Division, they were promoted in the 1903-04 season after finishing second. They were then relegated at the end of the 1912-13 season.

When Arsenal were allowed into the first division for the resumption of football after World War I they were admitted to an expanded division that had gone from 20 teams to 22 teams. They’d finished 5th in the final season before football stopped. If they took the place of anyone it would have been third place Barnsley who weren’t promoted or Spurs who finished bottom at the end of the 1914-15 season and could have been reprieved from relegation.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
That was Woolwich Arsenal!

It’s the same club, they were formed as Dial Square Footbal club in 1886, a munitions workers team. In 1887 they became known as Royal Arsenal, which was the name of the munitions complex Dial Sqaure was in.

They then became Woolwich Arsenal in 1893 when they became a limited company and were accepted to the Football League. In 1913 they moved to the newly built stadium in Highbury and a year later became known as The Arsenal reflecting the fact they no longer represented Woolwich as they’d moved out of the area (although they no longer use “The” it is still officially the name of the club).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s the same club, they were formed as Dial Square Footbal club in 1886, a munitions workers team. In 1887 they became known as Royal Arsenal, which was the name of the munitions complex Dial Sqaure was in.

They then became Woolwich Arsenal in 1893 when they became a limited company and were accepted to the Football League. In 1913 they moved to the newly built stadium in Highbury and a year later became known as The Arsenal (although they no longer use “The” it is still officially the name of the club).
New stadium, new name. Virtually a new club. Certainly The Arsenal have never won a promotion! I think you must be a fan to be so protective of the entitled tw*ts!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
New stadium, new name. Virtually a new club. Certainly The Arsenal have never won a promotion! I think you must be a fan to be so protective of the entitled tw*ts!

You are wrong again, it wasn’t virtually a new club, they moved to a new stadium. If we’d moved to the Amex and changed our name to Brighton and Hove City would you still be claiming we are a new club?

Do you consider Manchester United to be a different club to Newton Heath LYR? They’ve changed their name and moved to a new stadium since their original formation. The lineage of both clubs can be traced back to their original formation.

I’ve a very keen interest in the history of football. That’s why Im giving the correct story on what happened to them in this case.

Other than that I couldn’t care less about Arsenal football club beyond wanting us to beat them. Are you a closet Spurs fan seeing as you are so triggered by something that happened over 100 years ago.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I just can't understand how this helps Crystal Palace? In fact, it surely hinders them?

Already counting on qualifying for Europe next season?
I was going to say the same thing. They must be convinced Glasner is the real deal and you have to say, based on their end of season form, they might not be wrong.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Doesn't the premier league make up about half of the 20 richest clubs in world football? Which means they have a bigger budget than all but the biggest European clubs? So it's probably not a lack of money that is holding back English clubs in European competition.

Also seems like Palace getting ahead of themselves. What does europe have to do with them?:tears:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It actually makes sense on the proposal as clubs like Villa could pass FSR in the PL but fail with UEFA.

I know we’ve become conditioned to our situation but to ambitious clubs that want to reinvest profits in squads are limited by commercial revenues sometimes as they grow

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I just can't understand how this helps Crystal Palace? In fact, it surely hinders them?
I fear you have fallen for more of Beaky's bullshit.

The intention was to cause their dim fans to buy further in to the 'next level' nonsense, i.e. European football qualification every year. Their clever fans will both have noted that it is nothing more than a ploy designed to head off big clubs politely using FFP as a way of declining to pay what Beaky wants for his world class players.
Already counting on qualifying for Europe next season?
Expectation more like. Sad lot.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Chelsea avoided breaching the PSR limit by selling the two hotels and car parks at Stamford Bridge to a sister company for £76.5million.

Widespread anger about that transaction forced the Premier League to look at its rulebook again, with the result being the proposal to copy the EFL’s prohibition on using such windfalls in PSR calculations.

The amendment failed, however, because several clubs thought the wording of the ban was too wide.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Expect a flurry of deals where Chelsea sells the contents of the club stationery cupboard to one of its subsidiary companies for £100m, then back to itself for £200m a few hours later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here