Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The The

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cant get into the new album. Listened 3-4 times on repeat as know their show is in two halves with the first being this new album in full.
Prefer it if he played Dusk in full.
Hope the second half is all the bangers.
I like it. I wasn’t aware the first half is the new album but fair enough, if playing new music keeps him energized then great.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Listening to Mind Bomb for the first time since 1989 as we speak.
It’s better than I remember
I have been listening to a number of the early albums, Dusk, Mind Bomb, Infected and Soul Mining. I have listened to Soul Mining a lot over the years so it doesn’t count , but the others are as good as music can get and have not dated at all; they do not sound out of place in 2024 at all.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
First discovered them via the brilliant Uncertain Smile which always packed the dance floor at the legendary indie nightclub the Phonographique in Leeds in the 1980s

More recently, they did the great soundtrack to one of the bleakest films ever, Muscle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? I’m loving the new album, instant winner with me
Same here.

Regarding the first half new album, second half the hits comment above, PJ Harvey did similar and it worked well with me. First half I sat back and chilled with a gin and tonic and enjoyed the performance. Second half we all got more animated. Nice format.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Same here.

Regarding the first half new album, second half the hits comment above, PJ Harvey did similar and it worked well with me. First half I sat back and chilled with a gin and tonic and enjoyed the performance. Second half we all got more animated. Nice format.
Sparks have also been doing this for years, in some cases the new album would have never been heard before, no leaks, nuffink. An example was Lil Beethoven at The Festival Hall

Uptown Dunk

Sep 4, 2021
If you like a podcast then I can recommend the excellent Tim’s Listening Party where he reviews an album in detail with the artist who made it. He did one for Infected with Matt Johnson.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
If you like a podcast then I can recommend the excellent Tim’s Listening Party where he reviews an album in detail with the artist who made it. He did one for Infected with Matt Johnson.

A great bloke, all through lockdown he was doing these on Twitter trying to lift morale using music (Meanwhile Ian Brown was ranting on how the vaccine was gonna kill us and how flies spied for the government*)

*well, that type of thing

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The New album is superb, in my eyes he has done little wrong in his music catalogue. I havent seen the the since the Mind Bomb tour, but they were always excellent live. A friend saw the Norwich warm up gig and said it was fantastic. It feels special to have Matt and his music back in my life especially after his illness and threat to him ever singing again. Superb to have this new material, tracks grow well on Ensoulment especially tracks 6 to 12.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Absolutely loved Soul Mining, though mainly because Uncertain Smile and This is the Day were (and remain) masterpieces.

I liked bits and pieces from the subsequent albums but found them rather hit and miss to be honest, and started to cringe at some of the singles (sorry, can't stand The Beaten Generation) and a lot of the lyrics. But maybe I should give it all another listen.

I sometimes stumble upon interviews with Matt Johnson and always find myself interested in what he has to say.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Like others, got really into Infected, and went back to Soul Mining, but that was it - Saw they were at Ally Pally and got tix ages ago - Wish i'd waited for Brixton as only live couple miles away.
Just listed my Ally Pally tix on Twickets and buying Brixton ones..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a superb gig. Loved the format, no support and on stage at 8pm for the first set which was the new album. Short intermission and then a greatest hits set ending at half 10. There was a spoken word intro were people were asked to put their phones away, most respected his wish. He followed up on this at the end of the show as well. They played Sweet Bird of Truth, my favourite song.

A previous poster said his voice is ropey these days…I couldn’t disagree more. Maybe they caught him on a bad night? Sounded rich and gloriously deep at times.

The Frau and myself don’t combine our record collections; two purchases of the new album on double clear vinyl were made.

We had a beer and shared a kebab and chips outside our local pub before heading to the show. This my friends, is a top night out with the missus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here