Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun say Southgate is being lined up...

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Has he passed his Eufa coaching badge as he had special dispensation to manage in premiership. If he is being considered by Bloom then it has to be established that Southgate is not just looking on us as a stepping stone. I would like to see him combined with Venables in some capacity. Southgate was a top pro with a degree of intelligence and very strong connections to the premiership and I don't think he disgraced himself in anyway at Boro. For me it would be Gareth Sothgate or Tilson

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'd genuinely like to know why people think he'll be good. Anyone?

Well he might be: or he might be shite. Thing is, the same can also be said for all of the realistic candidates. Unfortunately. :shrug:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well on the alleged list of potential managers there are people who haven't done the job before, people who have done good jobs, or mixed jobs. There is one who has done one job and done it badly, and that's Southgate. I'd prefer almost any of the others to him personally.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes boro were relegated but so were Reading and everyone wanted coppell.

He got boro back to the top of the championship after selling most of his stars and you can see from strachans first two shit results that the team aren't a shoe-in for promotion. I'd say we have no idea how any manager will fair untill they take control. I'm sure adkins at Scunthorpe was hardly overwhelmingly popular when he stepped up to manager, or wenger was wanted at arsenal when he took over as an unknown.

Bloom is an Albion fan. He is bot going to pick any manager who is obviously rubbish. So I'd southgate, or any manager gets the job, then they should have our backing.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Southgate was sacked when they were still near the top of the Champ and had just won a game. Was doing better han Coppell. NCS is so fickle. I will happily accept any of the following:

Poyet
Gregory
Southgate
Adkins
Ferguson
Taylor
Gannon

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Solskjaer? ? Where did that come from?

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
I think we need a high profile manager. A high profile manager and one that has played at the highest level would have the respect of the players, have great connections within the game and would also be a statement of ambition by the club.

Would love any of Southgate, Poyet, Solskjaer.
Doesn't make them good managers though does it. John Barnes was a fantastic footballer but absoulte cack at managing any type of football team.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Has he passed his Eufa coaching badge as he had special dispensation to manage in premiership. If he is being considered by Bloom then it has to be established that Southgate is not just looking on us as a stepping stone. I would like to see him combined with Venables in some capacity. Southgate was a top pro with a degree of intelligence and very strong connections to the premiership and I don't think he disgraced himself in anyway at Boro. For me it would be Gareth Sothgate or Tilson

Soutgate maybe...Telly Vegetables...not on your nelly, just about every club he has been involved in has had some sort of financial nightmare just after he left, the man is cursed.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying that the earstwhile former England manger was directly involved in any financial misdemeanour at any club where he may have had some form of managerial responsibility)

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
any man who spends 12 million pounds on Alves can do 1

Im not saying Alves was a good signing, clearly not for that money, but on paper (of course football isnt played on paper) Alves looked a bloody good signing for boro! Scored over a goal a game over 2 seasons in the dutch first division. Although not the premier league, that aint too easily done!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Think Harry Hill's SouthgateBadger might be a close competitor to Gareth:laugh:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Did anybody else shudder and break out into a cold sweat when the name Andy Ritchie just made an appearance on the football buildup on sky?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'd genuinely like to know why people think he'll be good. Anyone?

A young promising manager who has cut his teeth at the highest level, did a great job at Boro for a couple of years. Highly regarded within the game, a thinking manager rather than a ranter and raver.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
why not have a southgate/taylor parnership,u dont captain every club you play for and get the amount of caps he got without some nous. taylor would be a superb coach and teach him what he needs to proceed to where i think and a lot of footie people think he will end up.why not let that be with us every young manager and great manager has had setbacks

that sounds a bit too palace for my liking - former palace captain southgate working alongside former player taylor. we should be more proud of our own history and former players, i would like to see somebody appointed who's played for us in the past. somebody who's part of our own history.

Mar 10, 2006
that sounds a bit too palace for my liking - former palace captain southgate working alongside former player taylor. we should be more proud of our own history and former players, i would like to see somebody appointed who's played for us in the past. somebody who's part of our own history.

Why? What a load of bollocks that is - much better we get the right management team in than worry about who they played for in the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here