Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The strange case of Adam El Abd

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's improved but he isn't completely different. He is a solid, hardworking, strong defender and always has been.

If anyone was or is 'utterly clueless' it's the bellends on here who write a player off prematurely.
To be fair, he was getting slaughtered on here under Adams. A particular bug-bear was always that he allowed attackers to run at him, and was guilty of backing off without getting a challenge in.

Within a few weeks of Poyet arriving, he announced that AEA was the best defender at the club, and there was a lot of bemusement over that, and not just from the usual bellends you're presumably alluding to.

I'm sure it's a combination of training, playing him in his best position, his manager voicing his confidence in public, and probably no shortage of application from the player himself.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
They all played bad under Slade and Adams. Elphick was just as bad in his second pro season but no one mentions that. Whing just hoofed it whenever he got it. They were running round like headless chickens at times. Got to be the training and the confidence and playing as a unit. Remember the story at Leeds about how Poyet tied a rope between the back four in training so they actually knew where the others were?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
You are joking right? Or was the second Mickey Adams era so painful that you have blocked all of it from memory?

It's not easy to look good in a team lacking direction and offering little protection. El-Abd has always done a pretty good job for us at center back including at Championship level. His downfall has always been when he's on the ball and has time. When backs are against the wall El-Abd is at his best.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Regarding the Adams era. No centre back should be judged by their performances whilst being played at right back, with Adam Virgo in front of them in right midfield...

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
They all played bad under Slade and Adams. Elphick was just as bad in his second pro season but no one mentions that. Whing just hoofed it whenever he got it. They were running round like headless chickens at times. Got to be the training and the confidence and playing as a unit. Remember the story at Leeds about how Poyet tied a rope between the back four in training so they actually knew where the others were?

That is a quality training technique! FACT

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Err. No Chuckle Brothers. Simples.
Bit unkind calling them the Chuckle Brothers but I know where you're coming from. It's not so much the arrival of Poyet himself but the fact that we now've got 'well brought up' foreigners in charge of the coaching that's making the difference.

Maybe Peter Reid should employ White and Booker? You get the feeling they've all got the same old-fashioned 'English' coaching mindset.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
How the hell has Gus Poyet managed to TRANSFORM him from utterly clueless, always backing-off liability, to potentially one of the key men in an assault on the title?

He's a completely different player.

Could well be down to Tarricco's defensive coaching too??? At the moment i cant see Greer getting in to this team.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
As has been said its a combination of things. He was never comfortable at right back and I always thought part of the reason he struggled with his tackling when playing there was that he was too busy positioning himself instinctively into a more central position and therefore didn't get close enough to the attacking player.

Up until know I always thought his best/most consitent displays were when he played in the centre of midfield for a period of time with Bertin - not the most creative of pairings but pretty solid and El-Abd did the simple things well mainly winning the ball and giving it to Bertin. Looks like Gus has got him doing the simple things well again.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
whatever it is that has helped him evolve to the player he is now, you can bet your bollocks it didn't come from this forum.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Could well be down to Tarricco's defensive coaching too??? At the moment i cant see Greer getting in to this team.

At the moment there is no place for him, and rightly so.

Soon enough, an injury / suspension / shocker will open the door though - then its up to Greer to make it his own.

Any team with realistic hopes needs a MINIMUM of THREE adequate centre backs.

Also - is the competition caused by Greer's very presence part of the explanation for Elphick and El Abd's form?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Competition must help. I also think Tarricco may not be getting the credit he deserves. Three clean sheets. The second tightest defence in the league. Defensive coach has to take some credit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe it's a case of give a monkey a typewriter? I.e. give El-Abd enough seasons and he’ll eventually be good in one of them?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I don't think I've seen a huge difference in him this year, he has always been quality at centre back and less comfortable at full back. I think Gus is trying to encourage the keeper and other players to limit how much they pass to him so there is less danger of one of his infamous backpasses and just let Adam concentrate on doing what he does best.

I am delighted for him to been getting the plaudits and a regular run in the team at centre back. I do feel for him if/when Greer replaces him, he is so commited to Brighton and one of the few left from the youth team.

agree totally ... even in the Magoo and Wilkins days he always looked more comfortable either in the centre of defence or just playing in front of the back two

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Both centre backs are benefitting hugely from having two good full backs next to them and a midfield that can stop (most of the time) the opposition running through the centre of the pitch. No centre back wants to commit themself 35 yards from goal hence they back off. Both Elphick and El Abd spent a huge amount of time going backwards over the past 18 months (backwards in games and backwards in terms of their career) because they were massively exposed, their confidence was completely shot and they didn't know when to push up or hold.

And it still doesn't help when the south stand duffers (young and old) are constantly screaming "TOO HIM" every time a ball is within 40 yards of our poxy net.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Both centre backs are benefitting hugely from having two good full backs next to them and a midfield that can stop (most of the time) the opposition running through the centre of the pitch. No centre back wants to commit themself 35 yards from goal hence they back off. Both Elphick and El Abd spent a huge amount of time going backwards over the past 18 months (backwards in games and backwards in terms of their career) because they were massively exposed, their confidence was completely shot and they didn't know when to push up or hold.

And it still doesn't help when the south stand duffers (young and old) are constantly screaming "TOO HIM" every time a ball is within 40 yards of our poxy net.

Great post.

If you look back to last season pre Gus. There were so many crosses going in to our box it was inevitable we would concede lots of goals. The centre backs did not have a chance. Now Calderon and Painter make it extremely difficult for opposition wingers to get balls in, and if they do get them in they are normally from deeper which is easier to defend.

As a connoisseur of footballing excellence exhibited by players, AeA has gone way beyond 'potential' to surpass expectations.
I've been going on about Adam for about 4 seasons with many railing against and pleading to get rid.

I don't mind crowing about the fact that many on here know bugger-all and would have had joel lynch (useless, completely crap player who thought himself bigtime) in el-Abd's place. What is lynch doing now anyway? ah who cares, he was shit and Adam isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here