Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stewarding 'problem'. The best way to resolve it?

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
When I went to get my season ticket, I asked one of the stewards what the view was like in the south west corner, his reply was, " why would you want to sit there? It's next to the away fans and their all wankers". I know they are not all pricks but we do seem to have a few especially the ones guarding the disabled toilets it appears you have to have a visible disability.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
EVERY other major ground in the country has a large area or stand where standing is tolerated. Much like the away end at the Amex when it's sold out. This is a common sense approach and works well. This concept of some at the back can stand but everybody else must sit is utterly unfair and utterly pointless.

2,500 season ticket holders are in the North, that's a pretty powerful group. How about withholding your support for 10 mins or so at the nest home game i.e. you stand there in silence, and then obviously absolutely smash it after 10 mins to highlight how much the players and the Amex as a whole needs a vibrant and noisy North.

Or something similar? Get the other stands to join in somehow as well maybe.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
2,500 season ticket holders are in the North, that's a pretty powerful group. How about withholding your support for 10 mins or so at the nest home game i.e. you stand there in silence, and then obviously absolutely smash it after 10 mins to highlight how much the players and the Amex as a whole needs a vibrant and noisy North.

Or something similar? Get the other stands to join in somehow as well maybe.

It seems unfair to withhold support from the team but a boycot of the food and beverage outlets, as mentioned by someone on another thread, is probably the only thing some of the executives at the club will listen to.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
If everybody, as a protest, stood during the entire game, what are the stewards going to do? kick everybody out?

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
For me, the whole standing thing will only ever be self-policing between fans. Around us you can sit & stand when you like, but when someone stands for a bit too long, they get barked at by the bloke behind & they sit down. Anyone sensible will know of there's a child/OAP behind them & not stand so much for that game. I think the stewards should only get involved if someone reacts badly to being asked to sit down by a fellow fan.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have heard from a particular steward that there were loads of them in the North last night as they we're going to kick everyone out. Yes EVERYONE in the north for standing. Only reason this was not done was because of the unfortunate incident that occured by the entrance to block B. They seem to think this will be happening in the next home game. How true I don't know but it is from one of the higher stewards in the West. Hope this is not the case as it will make things even worse between stewards and fans

An interesting statement as the policy always was ( and I can't see why or how it would change ) to used targeted evictions. It just isn't possible to evict dozens, let alone hundreds or thousands, of supporters in one go. It's not safe and not practical.

It's strange, I've been going to football for 30+ years and never had an issue with a steward ( except at Ninian Park but that's a different story ! ). I go to the football, have some fun and go home barely even noticing a steward. Last night was my first time in the North Stand and I have to say I was disappointed with the atmosphere and the crap "stand up if you hate Palace" song. I think I'll be back in the West for future games.

While there may undoubtedly be some aggressive stewards ( mostly SIA badge holders ) but equally there's some nut job supporters who think they have a right to do whatever they like because anything else will "kill the atmosphere". Respect is a two way thing.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
If everybody, as a protest, stood during the entire game, what are the stewards going to do? kick everybody out?

They won't kick everyone out but will most probably randomly pick out, eject and ban fans just trying to get a view of the pitch.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The problem is the implied statement put out by the club when we were given the spiel about season tickets.

The question of standing was raised and the reply we got was the last "few" rows of the North Stand would have "tolerated" standing and that would be it. the problem is now that the last few rows has become the majority of the North Stand.

I had this discussion last night with s Steward who asked me and the people in my row ( Row U) to sit down. I had the same answer that i gave Harry Potter, in that these rows are designated as standing ( albeit on a very loose basis) and it was agreed at the time with Mr Hebbard. He reiterated that it was a criminal offence to stand at all-seater stadiums and he had been asked to ask people to sit in compliance with that rule.

The Albion in an effort to be fan friendly have inadvertantly shot themselves in the foot by allowing standing at the back and this has now permeated down to the rest of the North Stand.

I am not sure now how we are going to move forward on this.

Personally I would rip out all the seats in the North Stand and make it a terrace ( Like that is ever going to happen)

Answers on a post card

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I think this if more to do with a misinterpretation by the Stewards of the law...A really good piece by the Football Supporters Federation is outlined below.

The Football Supporters' Federation - The legalities of standing

The key bit is this...

Since standing is an issue between clubs and supporters, it is up to individual clubs how they deal with it.

The whole "shop a fan" and general sterilisation process that the club is going through off the pitch at the moment is slightly concerning and yet it seems to be widely being ignored.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I think this if more to do with a misinterpretation by the Stewards of the law...A really good piece by the Football Supporters Federation is outlined below.

The Football Supporters' Federation - The legalities of standing

The key bit is this...

Since standing is an issue between clubs and supporters, it is up to individual clubs how they deal with it.

The whole "shop a fan" and general sterilisation process that the club is going through off the pitch at the moment is slightly concerning and yet it seems to be widely being ignored.

Taken from the Supporters Federation:
- ‘We take a somewhat relaxed view on (standing) provided the individuals are not causing annoyance to other spectators or obstructing other spectators views.’ (Club safety officer in correspondence with FSF member)
- ‘A measure of persistent standing should be tolerated” (Premier League chief executive – Source: FLA board minutes, May 2006)

There's no reason why the club couldn't adopt a more relaxed approach to standing in the North, whatever guff they come out with.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/TheFAPortal/governance-docs/stadium-safety/summary-of-measures-taken-to-prevent-football-violence.ashx

All clubs are issued with a standard set of Ground Regulations. These posters are displayed at the entrances to and inside the stadium. The Ground Regulations make it clear that entrance to the stadium is subject to acceptance by the visitor of these Ground Regulations. The Regulations specify the list of articles that cannot be brought into the stadium and they give the stewards the right to search any or all spectators and to remove offenders from the stadium.

The following behaviours are expressly forbidden:

the throwing of any object;
unauthorised entry onto the playing area;
the use of threatening behaviour or racist, homophobic or foul and abusive language;
persistent standing in a seated area;
smoking in any area inside the stadium;
attempting to enter the ground whilst drunk;
possessing alcohol when entering the ground or in a part of the ground from which the event can be directly viewed;
entering a part of the ground reserved for supporters of the opposing team.​

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I would be interested to know why people prefer standing to sitting...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Taken from the Supporters Federation:
- ‘We take a somewhat relaxed view on (standing) provided the individuals are not causing annoyance to other spectators or obstructing other spectators views.’ (Club safety officer in correspondence with FSF member)
- ‘A measure of persistent standing should be tolerated” (Premier League chief executive – Source: FLA board minutes, May 2006)

There's no reason why the club couldn't adopt a more relaxed approach to standing in the North, whatever guff they come out with.

Reading between the lines it could be that it is not standing up that is the problem but the "hate Palace" song!". (which I do not participate in; never have done, not because of any allegiance)

However, there is a rider and that is some stewards "security guard/prison office type or just plain sadists" that deliberately set out to cause trouble. Every fan who has been to more than one away match will have come across it.

I had trouble at Withdean, and then it was difficult to work out which steward was causing the problem, like the stewards have difficulty in recognising who starts the offending chants. It is bullies picking on people. Don't give them an excuse. The trouble is they are like stalkers, once they have got your number, they never let up.

PS: do not expect these bullies to be rational, or even logical, or to tell the truth: they don't know how. No amount of reasoned argument will work. Bullies are like that. The WPC will calm the siutation now but when there is one word against another she will always side with her employers at the time. (She may resign later: known it to happen.)

If it gets too tricky, they will lose the papers and bury the incident.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here