Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stanford ££££shift+3££££ Cricket Squad + Centrally Contracted Players

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Who is going to make it in

a) The money game
b) The 12 Centrally contracted players
c) The touring squad of India

Have some people suddenly come out of retirement like Harmison?
Will Vaughan get a central contract and a spot in the India touring party?
Prior and Wright, do they play a part?

Decision announed later on today

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I would feel gutted for Wright if he does not get in, Prior has a lot more competition. Could be one of those, who wealds power and if your face fits moment.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I would feel gutted for Wright if he does not get in, Prior has a lot more competition. Could be one of those, who wealds power and if your face fits moment.

Eh? Prior had a fantasic series against SA and must surely be shoe in! You'd think Wright would be OK as his competition seems to be Bopara and he appears to currently have the nod but I would say he's more at risk that Matty

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'd be gobsmacked if both aren't in the Stanford Squllions Squad.

Prior had a great series against SA, particularly knocking the "fumbler" accusation on the head with some excellent catches. And although Wright didn't stand out as much, he's not done anything to suggest he shouldn't remain part of the squad.

Vaughan is expect to get a Test playing central contract, if nothing else to keep pressure on the batsmen in possesion of a test place.

I think you are right, in everything you say. I just find it (another) damning indictment of the decision making process that MV is going to get another year. He is, or at least should be, currently nowhere near the Test or ODI side. He'll be given another year to go into county cricket and make some runs at the expense of the ECB, knowing that if he does get a few he will be (in all likelihood) shoe-horned back into the side. Whereas he should be dropped from the list, in the hope that this gives him the hunger to want to do well for his county and then EARNS his place back in the side. IMO, the central contract system is used too much to look after those who have done well in the past, rather than as an incentive to those who will do well in the future. IF you are one of the 15 best players in the country, and you've proved it by performing for county/country, then you get a contract. Or if you have potential, and the ECB want to protect you, you get a contract. NOT just because you were decent up to 2 years ago.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/media-releases/stanford-super-series-squad,302377,EN.html

Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire, captain)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Alastair Cook (Essex)
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
Stephen Harmison (Durham)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Matt Prior (Sussex)
Owais Shah (Middlesex)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire)
Luke Wright (Sussex)

The England selectors also announced that 12 players had been awarded 12-month central contracts for the period from October 1 2008 to September 30 2009. They are:

James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Alastair Cook (Essex)
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
Stephen Harmison (Durham)
Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire)
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)
Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire)
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex)
Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think you are right, in everything you say. I just find it (another) damning indictment of the decision making process that MV is going to get another year. He is, or at least should be, currently nowhere near the Test or ODI side. He'll be given another year to go into county cricket and make some runs at the expense of the ECB, knowing that if he does get a few he will be (in all likelihood) shoe-horned back into the side. Whereas he should be dropped from the list, in the hope that this gives him the hunger to want to do well for his county and then EARNS his place back in the side. IMO, the central contract system is used too much to look after those who have done well in the past, rather than as an incentive to those who will do well in the future. IF you are one of the 15 best players in the country, and you've proved it by performing for county/country, then you get a contract. Or if you have potential, and the ECB want to protect you, you get a contract. NOT just because you were decent up to 2 years ago.

In fairness they gave Hoggard a new central contract and then did not pick him at all.

In fairness they gave Hoggard a new central contract and then did not pick him at all.

Another crazy decision. But at least he was in the side (in fact he was probably first or second on the teamsheet in terms of bowlers!) when the contracts was announced. There was then a very hasty reactive decision to drop him from the squad after we lost the first Test match after the awarding of contracts. If he had really been that borderline in terms of team selection, I don't think that they would have given him a contract. I'd like to think not anyway!

I suppose these contracts came slightly too early for Prior; while he will be first choice keeper in India, he isn't strictly speaking the current incumbent of the Test match gloves. The only change in central contracts is Broad for Hoggard. I'm surprised that they didn't consider someone like Patel or maybe even Rashid; good young players that they don't want playing too much cricket.

there isn't a wicket keeper amomgst the centrally contracted players, rather giving the impression that Geoff Miller still hasn't made his mind up and that the door is still a revolving one........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
there isn't a wicket keeper amomgst the centrally contracted players, ........

For the 2nd year running, not the biggest confidence booster, for any of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here