Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sportsman - BREAKING NEWS....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
who is it on the market with then to try and solve the freehold question. if its a lease at 750k it about 600k over priced!!

An average small boozer will get £100k for the lease now provided there is long enough left on the lease which is normally expected to be ofset at about 10-15k per year. If you read The publican or Morning Advertiser you will see many leaseholds for sale at £100k + so for a very large premises £750k is not too bad, mind you it is not cheap either but not extorniate.

Mind you it was 5 years ago but my old boss sold 4 freehold pubs including the one I was running in Midhurst and 5 leasehold for £10m

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Board it up and call it The North Stand Chat Arms

No I'm thinking NSC club together and buy it and call is NSC Arms! How many members of NSC are there? If we all chipped in £10 would we raise enough? :lol:

We could put BG in as Manager and sit back and reap the profits!!!!

Heck we could even be richer than HB&B!!

Let's make it happen!!!!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
there are several pubs for sale in brighton for 10-20k. for 750k it would have to have a net profit of 250k plus. i very much doubt it does.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that the asking price is based on an estimated net profit of £75k - £100k per year therefore in the black within about 7 - 8 years at the current rate. The biggest problem is who can foretell what will happen ina few years. I would suspect those pub leases going at £10.20k are very near to losing money if they are not already.

I know of 1 in Burgess Hill that takes £5k per week, lease was on the market for £115k. Somebody I know was interested and asked if they bought it would my wife and I go and run it for them as they have other business interests but after their accountant looked at the figures he was advised not to buy it.

The profit that you quote csider was a base figures used about 10+ years ago when a business was sold and expected to have recouped the initial outlay with 3 years but is not now expected under the current trading conditions of cheap booze, no smoking etc. As I stated earlier Wetherspoons expect to allow 10 years to recoup their expenditure for a complete refit of a shop or cinema being converted into a pub.

Last edited:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
What parts of London?

It is very easy to get back into the pub game if you really want to as there are many company pubs available as a manager. If a pub is 'sitting still' the easiest thing is bring in a new manager with fresh ideas, ususally the turnover will rise.

greenwich , notting hill and the city. have not done it for 5 years now and i dont think id want to work for a big company where you get told what to sell how to sell it, what menu to put in etc . i worked for bass , they changed their name about 3 times while i was there and in the time i worked for them we went from designing our own menus to being told how to garnish each indiviual plate. so i guess id only like to work for a small forward thinking company really or someone who wants to buy a pub and stick a manger in , thats how i see myself . to be honest i cant really see that happening

The landlords have really missed a trick with that place. It is in the middle of a fairly affluent area, yet offers poor beers, run-of-the-mill food and shocking decoration. It was a poor pub long before The Albion moved in. If I were to buy it, I would gut the whole place and have a massive redesign.

You missed out an important fundamental, for a pub with the name 'Sportsman'.

ffs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
greenwich , notting hill and the city. have not done it for 5 years now and i dont think id want to work for a big company where you get told what to sell how to sell it, what menu to put in etc . i worked for bass , they changed their name about 3 times while i was there and in the time i worked for them we went from designing our own menus to being told how to garnish each indiviual plate. so i guess id only like to work for a small forward thinking company really or someone who wants to buy a pub and stick a manger in , thats how i see myself . to be honest i cant really see that happening

Unfortunately that is the way that companies are going now especially the big 'brewery' companies like M & B, John Barrass, Ember Inns, Spirit Group all part of what was Bass.

We did some relief work for a company called Pubs N Bars based in Balham who always seem to have pubs available. They paya % of turnover commission and allow you a complete free hand. The down side is that they spend very lttle on the pubs as people of Brighton will know with The Dyke, The Winner and The Good Companions. They own about 119 pubs mostly managed plus Baracuda and Hobgoblin Group. If you want their details pm me and I will give you their address etc.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
i worked in business transfer for 13 yrs until recently, so i do have an idea!!

TheBitchThatBars

Feb 4, 2009
THe Sportsman

The Sportsman is being converted to a carvery on March 7th but I promise it will have an excellent sporting atmosphere. We will be doing quiz nights and entertainment and it should be rocking soon. Used to run the Parrot in Worthing with the best footie atmosphere and cant wait to put it back here.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Sportsman is being converted to a carvery on March 7th but I promise it will have an excellent sporting atmosphere. We will be doing quiz nights and entertainment and it should be rocking soon. Used to run the Parrot in Worthing with the best footie atmosphere and cant wait to put it back here.

1) Will there be a bigger bar with bar staff capable of serving more than 2 people every 5minutes?
2) Will you endorse the (quite frankly) pathetic "NO BASEBALL CAPS" Policy the Parrot had last time I went in there last year?
3) Good Luck :thumbsup:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
No I'm thinking NSC club together and buy it and call is NSC Arms! How many members of NSC are there? If we all chipped in £10 would we raise enough? :lol:

We could put BG in as Manager and sit back and reap the profits!!!!

No way. Not with his views on Harveys :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No way. Not with his views on Harveys :lol:

First and foremost I am glad that I have retired from the 'pub trade' and wouldnt reccomend it to anybody. I do not regret having done it but would not consider running another pub only perhaps for a couple of weeks while the boss has a holiday.

Secondly I was on TV and in the National Press for selling the cheapest beer in the uk at one time this was Harveys Best, which I do not personally like but I stll managed to sell a vast quantity of it that was always very kept and maintained.

I dont like the manner in which they treat their publican customers.

I didnt like pernod but it didnt stop me selling it, I dont smoke but still sold cigars so it is obvious ones personal likes and dislike have no relevance to them selling them as part of a business.

As they say pubs are like football clubs you are able to make a small fortune in them provided you invest a large one.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
First and foremost I am glad that I have retired from the 'pub trade' and wouldnt reccomend it to anybody. I do not regret having done it but would not consider running another pub only perhaps for a couple of weeks while the boss has a holiday.

I agree - after 12 years in Pubs i'd had enough, and everyone thinks they can do it and make good money - not so.
I managed the Abergvenny Arms in Rodmell for years, couple of years trying to turn round The Newmarket on A27 and 3 years at the The London in Scumhampton. Even back then (mid 90's) Whitbread were desperate to get out of Pubs and just be a landlord.

Still had some good times being a 25 year old, running the hectic pre club boozer in S'hamton, off set with bad times of protection rackets (door staff) and had someone leave a Gun in the pub one night.. :ohmy:

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I agree - after 12 years in Pubs i'd had enough, and everyone thinks they can do it and make good money - not so.
I managed the Abergvenny Arms in Rodmell for years, couple of years trying to turn round The Newmarket on A27 and 3 years at the The London in Scumhampton. Even back then (mid 90's) Whitbread were desperate to get out of Pubs and just be a landlord.

Still had some good times being a 25 year old, running the hectic pre club boozer in S'hamton, off set with bad times of protection rackets (door staff) and had someone leave a Gun in the pub one night.. :ohmy:

Now The Newmarket on the A27, that's got to have prospects? It also does B&B so an ideal place for visiting fans to Falmer to come down and spend a night.

A little imagination and marketing, plus a mini-bus for the 5 min drive to the stadium, could be a winner?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
1) Will there be a bigger bar with bar staff capable of serving more than 2 people every 5minutes?

That's the crux of the matter for me. The Sportsman should be an absolute goldmine on match-days, but due to the lousy service, most people who go there don't get the chance to spend as much as they'd like to, due to it being five deep at the bar, and many more potential customers won't go near the place for the same reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here