Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Spanish way

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yesterday showed that you do not need an out and out forward to score the goals. We played with such a fluid midfield that Chelsea's defenders were not able to pick up runs etc. Before games the defenders would normally be tasked with picking up certain players but with such fluidity, gaps appear. Is this the way forward?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I really liked the look of our formation yesterday, Chelsea are packed full of world class players and they really struggled to cope with us at times yesterday.
I'm not saying we're going to tear up the league.......but if we play like we did yesterday I think a lot of teams will struggle against us.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I really liked the look of our formation yesterday, Chelsea are packed full of world class players and they really struggled to cope with us at times yesterday.
I'm not saying we're going to tear up the league.......but if we play like we did yesterday I think a lot of teams will struggle against us.

Agreed, I was also very impressed in how the lads performed when we didn't have the ball, really kept Chelsea to limited chances.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
Yesterday showed that you do not need an out and out forward to score the goals. We played with such a fluid midfield that Chelsea's defenders were not able to pick up runs etc. Before games the defenders would normally be tasked with picking up certain players but with such fluidity, gaps appear. Is this the way forward?

At times it looked like Gus was having a look at the dagger playing up front with Barnsey, or maybe just behind.

Teams need to take us more seriously this season. It was just one game but things look good. There are still a few things that need tightening up and a top quality front man is needed ( remember Hoskins will be ready in 6-8 weeks ). This is going to be a great season and i honestly DO believe that we WILL challenge for promotion.

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
Agreed, I was also very impressed in how the lads performed when we didn't have the ball, really kept Chelsea to limited chances.
Yep and it was good to watch! I think our defence if prone to making some silly errors; so that needs some work; but overall it was a great performance and having Vicente floating around like that with Crofts in midfield was really promising!

I thought Calde was awesome yesterday and Bruno too!

Feb 14, 2010
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make some people drink. Some people wont be satisfied until we are hoofing long balls up to some "target man" and talking about a "presence up front" despite what the Albion have achieved so far and despite the evidence of Spain and Barca. Its just how some people have been taught football and they feel uncomfortable with anything else... just ask Graham Taylor and we have to listen to him on the radio spouting long ball rubbish. You have to weep for English football at times.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yep and it was good to watch! I think our defence if prone to making some silly errors; so that needs some work; but overall it was a great performance and having Vicente floating around like that with Crofts in midfield was really promising!

I thought Calde was awesome yesterday and Bruno too!

We still need at least one more top quality CH, as Dunk needs time to get the errors out of his game and gain more composure. Although Tommy has still to come back. For the record, I think AEA is too short. Yesterday's performance looked like the reason for signing so many wingers last year being put into practice. I still think the option of having a target man will be a valuable addition to be able to bring these guys into the game when the defense presses us high up the pitch. I cannot see CMS contributing to this style of play as he lacks the quality in his all round game (particularly his passing and first touch).

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make some people drink. Some people wont be satisfied until we are hoofing long balls up to some "target man" and talking about a "presence up front" despite what the Albion have achieved so far and despite the evidence of Spain and Barca. Its just how some people have been taught football and they feel uncomfortable with anything else... just ask Graham Taylor and we have to listen to him on the radio spouting long ball rubbish. You have to weep for English football at times.

A target man does not mean "hoof ball" is necessary. It is an option, and one used at times at the highest level. It does however give the option of holding the ball up to bring others into the game, as the midfield breaks forward. Would you not want Bobby Z back?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I said this about two weeks ago - suggesting we should go all out to reinforce our MF and maybe a combo of Barnes/CMS/Hoskins would be enough. I got lambasted, such things as the Championship is a league that needs aerial power and a suggestion that I might be better off following cricket! It's reassuring to see that I'm not alone although I wouldn't change the view even if I were. I still think we need to inject more pace but the style of play with plenty of possession (not always the case yesterday, but it's the idea) off the ball movement and not letting ourselves become in anyway predictable could really pay big dividends

Feb 14, 2010
A target man does not mean "hoof ball" is necessary. It is an option, and one used at times at the highest level. It does however give the option of holding the ball up to bring others into the game, as the midfield breaks forward. Would you not want Bobby Z back?

I would want Zamora back but not because h is big. He actually can play football, control it, pass it, run deep, into space and he can finish. Nothing to do with this English obsession with sticking a "big lad up front".

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

That Graham Taylor is a long ball merchant is seriously overplayed. His teams played some excellent football on the ground, e.g. Watford with John Barnes and Nigel Callaghan as tricky, dribbling wingers, the Aston Villa side that had Cowans and Platt were a good passing side. Even his England, while not exactly a very good side, were not a long ball team.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I would want Zamora back but not because h is big. He actually can play football, control it, pass it, run deep, into space and he can finish. Nothing to do with this English obsession with sticking a "big lad up front".

Ok, I have no argument with that. I don't want a donkey like Heskey either. I want to see a rounded player like Bobby. Bobby is strong on the ball, and hard to knock off of it. We, in my opinion, need that as Championship level Refs over here do not give as much protection as those on the continent, or even in the Premiership.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Crofty is the replacement piece in the midfield jigsaw puzzle , he takes part of the pressure off Bridcutt which allows Vicente to go "poaching".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here