Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The sneaky fat fucker has applied to be a german

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Shane von Warne...kind of has a ring to it, why didn't he choose to be Irish...loads of Aussies can trace roots back there...unless of course his grandpa was a Nazi who chose to go to Australia instead of Argentina when the third Reich went belly up.

He really is German! But it looks like they don't want him back.

Shane Warne considers German citizenship

By Peter Kogoy
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22263728-2,00.html
August 18, 2007 01:00am

English club wants another overseas player

Warne eligible for German citizenship

Have to renounce Australian citizenship

AUSTRALIA'S greatest spin bowler, Shane Warne, is be considering becoming a German citizen so he can play cricket in England - but in doing so he may have to renounce his Australian citizenship and any hope of a political career.

Warne, whose mother, Brigitte, was born in Germany, captains the Hampshire county cricket club.

Next year, clubs will be allowed to have only two international players, forcing Hampshire to choose between the record-breaking leg-spinner and Australian fast bowler Stuart Clark.

However, a number of rulings by the European Court of Justice allow the counties to treat EU members as domestic players.

Hampshire chairman Rod Bransgrove last night admitted the club had been "kicking the idea around now for the last six or seven months".

"I've sat down with Shane and had a long discussion with him and he went away from the meeting quite happy with the idea," Mr Bransgrove told The Weekend Australian.

"It is theoretically possible once Shane receives his German passport that we would then register him as a local, and not an import, allowing my county to recruit in effect a second overseas player.

"He's given me and my county board an undertaking that he will pursue the matter over the winter.

"But rest assured even when he gets it, you'll never be able to take the Australian out of Shane Warne."

Warne's brother Jason said their mother migrated to Australia when she was five.

However, a spokesman for the German consulate said that under German law children born to a German mother after 1975 are eligible for citizenship but the woman must have been a citizen at the time.

In most cases a person applying for a German passport has to renounce their existing citizenship and dual citizenship could only be held under exceptional circumstances.

Warne was born in 1969, which means if he was to qualify for a German passport it seems unlikely he could retain an Australian passport under German law.

In 2002 the Australian laws were liberalised to allow dual citizenship, but if Warne wants to become a member of the federal parliament after cricket he must again renounce his German citizenship status.

Warne has captained Hampshire to this year's county final, which starts today.

"I've never played in a domestic final, so walking out as captain will be a proud moment," he said.

Warne, 37, became Hampshire captain in 2004 but missed the team's 2005 final victory, because Australian coach John Buchanan insisted he be at a warm-up match for the national team on the eve of the Ashes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The mystery of all this is why ANYONE would want to play cricket for Hampshire.

What's that all about?
It's a strange one. I could almost understand it if he were at the beginning of his career but not towards the end. He can't need the money.

Perhaps he thinks he might have more luck with German women.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
It's a strange one. I could almost understand it if he were at the beginning of his career but not towards the end. He can't need the money.

Perhaps he thinks he might have more luck with German women.

Or perhaps he just enjoys playing top-level cricket. You know, against Sussex and that.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Shane is an anagram of Hanse.

Germany's record wicket taker,and all round fat bast*rd.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
On a vaguely off topic note, I had someone down the pub slag me off over the Sussex defeat (I think?) from some time ago; on the weird basis that they assumed Brighton fan == Sussex cricket fan. I have some interest in how North Kildare do but thats it....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
good patter on the BBC...

"8th over: Dur 39-0
Masca tears in, and it's a pair of singles apiece for the Durham openers. Von Warnkopf takes off at a wide second slip in an optimistic attempt to pouch a guided edge from Mustard, misses, and thuds into the turf like a detonated cooling tower."

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here