Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The show your appreciation thread - KIT NAPIER.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm buying it.

Good to hear from you.
Things have changed a bit around here.
Do you keep in touch with anyone you played with at The Albion?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My first Albion game was Shrewsbury at home in 71 and my first Albion goal was Kit's career 100th...a header at the South Stand end.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Good player, skilful and a good finisher. He played in the days when defenders could, and did, tackle from behind, but he did not seem to get caught very often. He played in my favourite Albion team, Brian Powney, Stewart Henderson, Norman Gall, Dave Turner, Peter O'Sullivan and Kit Napier, all my heroes.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
There was another great goal that I don't think anyone has mentioned, but I can never remember what the game was.
I have a feeling it might have been a Bank Holiday game and possible against Gillingham or Bournemouth?
What I do remember is that Kit picked up the ball around the half way line, beat several players on the way, and scored at the South end of the Goldstone from around 10 yards.
There was a picture in the Argus showing at least 3 defenders sitting on their backsides having failed to tackle him.
Can anyone remind me who it was against?

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
There was another great goal that I don't think anyone has mentioned, but I can never remember what the game was.
I have a feeling it might have been a Bank Holiday game and possible against Gillingham or Bournemouth?
What I do remember is that Kit picked up the ball around the half way line, beat several players on the way, and scored at the South end of the Goldstone from around 10 yards.
There was a picture in the Argus showing at least 3 defenders sitting on their backsides having failed to tackle him.
Can anyone remind me who it was against?

Are you sure that was not a Peter Ward Photo - remember it well but it was Wardy - unless a similar photo also appeared of Kit?
Going onto Kit Napier, have to be honest that team photo of the promotion wining side 2 BC (Before Clough!) far more memorable than anything we have seen for the last 5 or so years. Must bring back really good memories for Kit.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Besides being my earliest Albion hero, Kit was also the greatest mathematician ever to play for the Albion...

Every time he went for a dump he worked out a new Napierian log.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
IMHO Kit was the most exciting player to ever wear a Brighton shirt - although for most of Kit's time it was the blue with white sleeves shirt rather than the stripes.
He was electric on the ball, had a turn of speed and could tear a defence apart ... and his shooting was hot too.
Probably my strongest memory is against Pompey in a night game in the League Cup in about 1968 or 1969. Alex Dawson had put us ahead with a power header as Kit ripped into the then mighty Pompey defence. Then into the second half he broke free from well inside our half. He raced forward with the ball at his feet, when the Pompey full back Eion Hand put out a hand and literally ripped the back of Kit's shirt from his back. Kit carried on to let loose a great shot and played the rest of the game with a flapping hole on the back of his shirt .... legend

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
FFS just noticed Kit's comment on this thread (presume it is genuine) ... thanks for all the great times you gave us Kit ... always been my first and probably only football hero .. and bugger it I am well past 50!

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Are you sure that was not a Peter Ward Photo - remember it well but it was Wardy - unless a similar photo also appeared of Kit?
Going onto Kit Napier, have to be honest that team photo of the promotion wining side 2 BC (Before Clough!) far more memorable than anything we have seen for the last 5 or so years. Must bring back really good memories for Kit.

I was absolutely certain it was Kit Napier - although no doubt there are similar pictures of Peter Ward's goals!

Maybe if he sees this he can tell me if I'm right or wrong!

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
IMHO Kit was the most exciting player to ever wear a Brighton shirt - although for most of Kit's time it was the blue with white sleeves shirt rather than the stripes.
He was electric on the ball, had a turn of speed and could tear a defence apart ... and his shooting was hot too.
Probably my strongest memory is against Pompey in a night game in the League Cup in about 1968 or 1969. Alex Dawson had put us ahead with a power header as Kit ripped into the then mighty Pompey defence. Then into the second half he broke free from well inside our half. He raced forward with the ball at his feet, when the Pompey full back Eion Hand put out a hand and literally ripped the back of Kit's shirt from his back. Kit carried on to let loose a great shot and played the rest of the game with a flapping hole on the back of his shirt .... legend

That was the run that saw us beat Pompey and Birmingham and then lose 3-2at home to a good Wolves side before 33 thousand at the Goldstone. Hugh Curran somehow missing with a downward header which bounced up and hit the bar and partnered up front by a certain Derek Doogan if my memory serve me right. That was my first 30 thousand crowd and i remember queuing up for tickets at the Barrow home game (which someone has already mentioned ) and we got over 20k that day.
Kit was a great player. Very fast, skilful and with one heck of a shot on him. If that was Kit earlier then cheers mate :thumbsup:
You were a lot of young lads hero....... back in the day.

Got to go now and take my medication before my horlicks and bedtime.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
My wife says he was her first football idol too. This is a scan from a poster that she had.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Great poster Ned. A team of men.

Willie Bell used to live in the then new Rotyngs in Rottingdean.. He was often in the phone box opposite the shops at Meadow Parade. Looking back - probably on the phone to his bird.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Bloody hell - is this really THE Kit Napier? Tell me it's not a wind-up...

Sorry to say I'm too young to remember you playing, but the stats (and the old gets on here) tell us you were quite the hotshot. Oooh, questions, questions...

Tell us about your Albion days.

Edit: Of course, if this is a wind-up, I've just made myself look a berk. Again

It is genuine :thumbsup:

And thanks Kit, I watched you play many times, great memorys, great player.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for the kind words Freddie.
I'm still living in Durban(South Africa),recently retired from the motor game.
And still have dreams, most nights, about my playing days!!!

Hey, if you're for real then you've just made my day!

As you can see, there's loads of us who remember you playing but also a fair number of 'young uns' who want to know more so hopefully you'll stick around.

Norman gall became quite a celeb when he appeared, out of the blue, as a 'expert' for local radio. he's not been too well though and has sort of retired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here