Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THE SHINING - worth staying up for

Jul 20, 2003
sams dad said:
Wasn't "The Shawshank Redemption" a Stephen King story?That "carried over" to screen quite well I thought.

I thought that was a short story rather than a novel - but yes, smashing film - although I'm perplexed as to how it keeps topping polls for all time greats - top 50 maybe

I think "Shawshank" came from the same collection of short stories as "Stand By Me"

Jul 20, 2003
just checked. Blimey, 'Apt Pupil' came from the same book - I don't remember the book. I saw 'Stand By Me', then read the book, then saw 'Shawshank' - remembered the book; then saw 'Apt Pupil' and thought it was familiar but didn't make the connection.

Hats off to Stephen King - that was a source and a half

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yeah the one with Apt Pupil and Shawshank is excellent. Different Seasons I think it's called.

Apt Pupil the film is very poor compared to the story.

Jul 20, 2003
Silent Bob said:

Apt Pupil the film is very poor compared to the story.

yep, I saw the film and thought it ws a patchy rip off of a great short story - only just got my memory into shape as to who wrote it. 'The Body' - became the film 'Stand By Me' - if you haven't seen it, I recommend it. If you have seen it, you'll know why I recommend it.

I think I might watch The Shining tonight anyway 'cause thinking about it reminds me what a GREAT film it is.

it's either that or another 'comfort' movie - Get Carter, Jaws, Aliens .......... that sort of thing

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
pevenseagull said:
yep, I saw the film and thought it ws a patchy rip off of a great short story - only just got my memory into shape as to who wrote it. 'The Body' - became the film 'Stand By Me' - if you haven't seen it, I recommend it. If you have seen it, you'll know why I recommend it.

I think I might watch The Shining tonight anyway 'cause thinking about it reminds me what a GREAT film it is.

it's either that or another 'comfort' movie - Get Carter, Jaws, Aliens .......... that sort of thing
Ah, I was trying to remember which story Stand By Me was. I haven't actually seen the film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here