Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THE SHINING - worth staying up for

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
11.35 p.m. BBC1 The Shining. Absolutely classic adaptation of Stephen King's novel, brilliant brilliant film - here's johnny!!

Chilling horror story based on the Stephen King novel about a troubled novelist who takes his family to an empty hotel in the mountains, where he is acting as caretaker during the off season. He hopes to find peace to write, but instead begins to lose his mind, and by the time snow has cut the hotel off for the winter, his wife and child find they are being stalked by a bloodthirsty maniac.

Cast: Jack Nicholson, Steven Weber, Rebecca De Mornay, Shelley Duvall, Courtland Mead, Danny Lloyd, Melvin Van Peebles, Scatman Crothers, Barry Nelson, Wil Horneff, Pat Hingle and Philip Stone.
Director: Mick Garris and Stanley Kubrick.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
I didn't think it was all that but alot of people thought it was good

Jul 20, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Not as good as the book. :drink:

bollocks

the book is excellent

but the film is exceptional

and what's more the internet skit is of that very rare breed, it's f***ing funny

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not saying the film is bad, but the book is so much deeper, ending is better too.

Jul 20, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Not saying the film is bad, but the book is so much deeper, ending is better too.

I've read a few Stephen King books in my youth and seen film adaptations of them. From what I've read, it was only the short stories that carried* over to screen - 'Stand By Me' being the best example. I didn't even warm to 'The Green Mile'.

but the FILM 'The Shining' is magnificent

I shall try and read the book, but Stephen King is, to my taste, only a sporadically inspired writer. By contrast, Kubrick's films are all magnificent (apart from the last one - I think he died of shame).

*not a Carrie pun

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
Actually, I've never read "The Shining" all the way through, I'll give it another go

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Shining is GENIUS. Nicholsons performance is masterful. The best nutter EVER.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
pevenseagull said:
I've read a few Stephen King books in my youth and seen film adaptations of them. From what I've read, it was only the short stories that carried* over to screen - 'Stand By Me' being the best example. I didn't even warm to 'The Green Mile'.

but the FILM 'The Shining' is magnificent

I shall try and read the book, but Stephen King is, to my taste, only a sporadically inspired writer. By contrast, Kubrick's films are all magnificent (apart from the last one - I think he died of shame).

*not a Carrie pun
Wasn't "The Shawshank Redemption" a Stephen King story?That "carried over" to screen quite well I thought.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Juan Albion said:
"The Shining" is good - both book and film. The film is a poor adaptation of the book, however. There has been a TV movie that is much truer to the book and is very well done.
Can't agree with that Juan. I've seen the TV adaptation, and it just doesn't compare to the film - because nobody could ever surpass Nicholsons performance. Who says film adaptations need to stick rigidly to the book its based on ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
sams dad said:
Wasn't "The Shawshank Redemption" a Stephen King story?That "carried over" to screen quite well I thought.
Yes, the short story "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption". :wave:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You bring the ice cream, I'll bring the FLAKE. I want to push it up my bum a little bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here