Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Shingles bad news thread

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Had it when I was 10. All I remember was the itching and I still have the scars under my jaw.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Hope you feel better soon. It's a ******* right enough. Took my wife a year to get over it. If you get it, you need Acyclovir asap. The wife's was initially misdiagnosed. She had to take Amitriptyline for the pain.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hope you feel better soon. It's a ******* right enough. Took my wife a year to get over it. If you get it, you need Acyclovir asap. The wife's was initially misdiagnosed. She had to take Amitriptyline for the pain.

I was on anti vrals, they took me off them and I haven't bothered them since covid.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
I was on anti vrals, they took me off them and I haven't bothered them since covid.
I think there's a window of opportunity where if you get the right drug as soon as you notice the rash it reduces the term/severity of it.

Must be truly grim to have it in your eye. It's so much more debilitating than people imagine.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
There is a vaccine for this which you can get privately, but it's somewhere close to £200, On the other hand it's free in the year of your 70th birthday. I thought that I was at risk of this with 10 grandchildren so I took the free offer!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think there's a window of opportunity where if you get the right drug as soon as you notice the rash it reduces the term/severity of it.

Must be truly grim to have it in your eye. It's so much more debilitating than people imagine.

The rash went in about two days, it's the after effects.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There is a vaccine for this which you can get privately, but it's somewhere close to £200, On the other hand it's free in the year of your 70th birthday. I thought that I was at risk of this with 10 grandchildren so I took the free offer!

Sadly or happily, whatever way you see it, I'm only 55.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The sooner you get anti virals, Zovirax, the easier it is to treat. If you get post shingles pain, then a nerve pain drug like Gabapentin is needed (it's a controlled drug)
I had it in February, for the second time, despite having had the vaccine 18 months ago. Unfortunately, the doctor told me that it gets worse as you get older.

I was prescribed Gabapentin for neuropathy. I hadn’t had any arrhythmia, due to another health problem,for18 months.
The night after I took the first dose I had 3 shocks from my ICD, and was in hospital for a week.
I was taken off the Gabapentin, but went on to have over 60 more arrythmia/ shocks/ cardiac arrests over the next 8 years.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Had shingles twice, once in my teens and then in my 50"s. Bothe times flipping painful. This year I became entitled to the shingles vaccine which does not prevent you getting it but if you do less severe.

So, 1 week after the jab my eczema flares up all over my body and 3 months later still suffering. Coincidence?

My heartfelt sympathy to all shingle and eczema sufferers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I had it but still got another bout of shingles :down:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was prescribed Gabapentin for neuropathy. I hadn’t had any arrhythmia, due to another health problem,for18 months.
The night after I took the first dose I had 3 shocks from my ICD, and was in hospital for a week.
I was taken off the Gabapentin, but went on to have over 60 more arrythmia/ shocks/ cardiac arrests over the next 8 years.

:ohmy:

It didn't touch the pain in my shoulder with one tablet. I rang the surgery and they said I could take two three times a day.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Had shingles twice, once in my teens and then in my 50"s. Bothe times flipping painful. This year I became entitled to the shingles vaccine which does not prevent you getting it but if you do less severe.

So, 1 week after the jab my eczema flares up all over my body and 3 months later still suffering. Coincidence?

My heartfelt sympathy to all shingle and eczema sufferers.

Thanks for that info, I was going to have the jab... I think you've put me off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here