Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sheff Wed catering thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How was it for you?

Arrived in the sauna-like conditions of the WSU concourse around 7ish to be greeted with massive queues at the kiosk by the F entrance. Waited for around 15 minutes and, as we got to the front of the queue, it became apparent that there was next to no food. As the guy in front of me got his change and the server looked up at me, I implored her to grab the hot dog that was behind her as it was the last thing in the rack. She did which meant my 9 year old could have some form of dinner at least, although she really wanted a burger, with or without cheese.

There was nothing else left at all, including the only thing I could eat - a veggie pie, so after a 4 1/2 hour / 200 mile drive, my dinner was a packet of Walkers. Thanks Azure! The server was very, very apologetic about the lack of all food, saying there would be some more in 15 minutes or so.

Half-time - mad queues - no chance of being served.

After the game there were pies - HOORAY! and I got 2 then - 1 for me and 1 to bring back to Mrs Bozza. Despite all the '15% off pies' announcements I was, of course, charged the full £3.90 per pie. With a 200 mile drive ahead of me, I couldn't be bothered to have the discussion so just paid up and left.

[MENTION=394]nail-Z[/MENTION] over in the ESL reported the complete opposite: queues of only a couple of people, being served very quickly and a full range of products available.

I'm sorry to say that it seems I still can't rely on the WSU being able to feed me if I intend to have a meal of sorts there, so I won't be giving them the opportunity to disappoint again, and shall buy stuff elsewhere. I noted the burger van at Falmer Station even had a veggie burger. Exotic.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Awful in the WSU, huge queues before the game and at half time, running out of pies, running out of milk. Massive queue even for the Harvey's barrel so I bought a bottle of heineken instead. I thought they said it would be better this year? If anything tonight was the worst it has ever been for me personally. It seems silly moaning about a bit of a wait but just alarmed about how it has continue to be so bad, must be terrible management somewhere. There's only so much the servers can do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Awful in the WSU, huge queues before the game and at half time, running out of pies, running out of milk. Massive queue even for the Harvey's barrel so I bought a bottle of heineken instead. I thought they said it would be better this year? If anything tonight was the worst it has ever been for me personally. It seems silly moaning about a bit of a wait but just alarmed about how it has continue to be so bad, must be terrible management somewhere. There's only so much the servers can do.

Agree on the servers - I asked for food, I got a very apologetic "we have none", thanked her with a smile and left. Her tone expressed a degree of embarrassment about the situation, but we both knew there was nothing she could do.

There was a huge queue behind me so there would have been a lot of disappointed folk.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Same grumbles from here here too. Having driven down from Nottingham (and just got home) I was looking forward to a pie and a pint of Harveys. I walked into the ground at 7.02pm and saw massive que's. It took me 11mins (yes i timed it) to get served. When I got to the front of the que and ordered my pie and pint, a very lovely apologetic 'Brummie' girl told me they had run out of hot food!!!!!! UN-FUCKUNG-BELIEVABLE!! I was so pissed off I ordered NOTHING. Could they not put a big sign up when they run out of stuff so people dont que un-necessaraly. So thats £7 they missed out on from me.

Went down at half time and it was obvious there was chance i'd get served and not miss any of the game so again had the hump. I left 2 mins before the final whistle just so I could get some food before the long jurney back home. Didn't even think about a pie then and spent £3 on crisps and a chocolate bar.

Piss poor from whoever runs that show.

Also, does anyone know why its SO hot in the WSU? Not that i'l be complaining in January though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I bought a chicken pie which had clearly been cooked in a microwave: soggy pastry and 100 degrees in the centre.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
This is such a valid point! many debates on here about the catering are often argued, well get food / drink prior to the kick off elsewhere, for many people who have to travel a long distance (myself included, Ok I don't have a season ticket this season as work has not allowed me to make it a viable investment) this is not really possible, you leave your home and all you want to do after a 200+ mile drive is go straight to the Amex and have a pie and a drink and get involved in the atmosphere and of course watch the game.

I have been attending football games for many many years and it has always been the way and is part of the football day experience as well! ok back in the day it was a hot dog from a mobile seller, but still all part of the days experience, nowadays for myself and my good lady, we have to travel from South Wales and we want to get to the Amex and have a pie and a pint, and as yet we have not been dissappointed, also of course we want to give our had earned cash to the club and NOT to a motorway service staion or the like.

Not to have enough Hot Dogs or Pies is unacceptable in my opinion, if the main caterer can't get it right, go back to basics and allow mobile sellers as they will, trust me!!

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
I wanted to get a pie and pint after the game but WSU had run out of food, so my dinner was a pint of harveys, on my way back to the bus stop I cut through the north stand where they had loads of food, so either someone mucked up the quantity in the WSU, or we are just fat bastards up there and eat to much.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
I find the best place in the WSU for food is the little kiosk set away from the wall. Shorter queues and I've never known them to run out before the game.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I was later than normal due to Friday night traffic so didn't arrive at WSU until 19.35. Went to my normal kiosk at Block I, no queues and had full range of food, so got 2 steak pies & a burger for me & kids.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Never had any problems in ESL. Queues not too bad, never seen them run out of food and now have a seperate mobile bar selling Krony, Dark Star and Harveys. Popped into West Lower after Barnsley game, again no problems getting served beer or food. How can it vary so wildly between the respective stands?

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
Before game had a pie and pint in Harry bloom lounge which overlooks the pitch. Then after the game had a lovely meal in players lounge and was chatting to squad. Was sitting eating with Buckley, he is a legend.

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Queues in East Lower last night were much shorter than usual. I got served before the game and at half time (and i didn't dash out early). There seemed to be a good supply of food. Sounds like the WSU is where they need to focus attention.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
For the first time, I had the same experience Darren..... half an hour before knock off.... no pies or Harveys in central kiosk WSU.... when I swore citing 150 mile drive, no dinner etc, I got threatened with stewards....... then when I got the half time urge for pie... got served only to be told that my top up of £40 was not on there... speak to someone at the shop she said... I swore again.... and got threatened with stewards again..... f*** 'em...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I was later than normal due to Friday night traffic so didn't arrive at WSU until 19.35. Went to my normal kiosk at Block I, no queues and had full range of food, so got 2 steak pies & a burger for me & kids.

Lucky f***ing you......... bastard....... :eek:

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Before game had a pie and pint in Harry bloom lounge which overlooks the pitch, Harry came over to us and we were talking for about 20 min. Then after the game had a lovely meal in players lounge and was chatting to squad. Was sitting eating with Buckley, he is a legend.
That must of been spooky poor Harry has been dead for over 30 years

paul1960

Feb 26, 2007
Sussex
How was it for you?

Arrived in the sauna-like conditions of the WSU concourse around 7ish to be greeted with massive queues at the kiosk by the F entrance. Waited for around 15 minutes and, as we got to the front of the queue, it became apparent that there was next to no food. As the guy in front of me got his change and the server looked up at me, I implored her to grab the hot dog that was behind her as it was the last thing in the rack. She did which meant my 9 year old could have some form of dinner at least, although she really wanted a burger, with or without cheese.

There was nothing else left at all, including the only thing I could eat - a veggie pie, so after a 4 1/2 hour / 200 mile drive, my dinner was a packet of Walkers. Thanks Azure! The server was very, very apologetic about the lack of all food, saying there would be some more in 15 minutes or so.

Half-time - mad queues - no chance of being served.

After the game there were pies - HOORAY! and I got 2 then - 1 for me and 1 to bring back to Mrs Bozza. Despite all the '15% off pies' announcements I was, of course, charged the full £3.90 per pie. With a 200 mile drive ahead of me, I couldn't be bothered to have the discussion so just paid up and left.

[MENTION=394]nail-Z[/MENTION] over in the ESL reported the complete opposite: queues of only a couple of people, being served very quickly and a full range of products available.

I'm sorry to say that it seems I still can't rely on the WSU being able to feed me if I intend to have a meal of sorts there, so I won't be giving them the opportunity to disappoint again, and shall buy stuff elsewhere. I noted the burger van at Falmer Station even had a veggie burger. Exotic.

Similar experience to you in WSU.

Football 9/10 , Catering 1/10

Food Before the game: Pies run out and no other food

Half Time Drink: Felt sorry for the lad on the mobile unit , big queues 4 pumps and only one person serving so gave up !

Conclusion: Can't rely on being fed at the ground so will eat elsewhere before the game. Azure need to up their game but I suspect they are only interested in the corporate areas. Two words describe the food experience in the WSU , ABSOLUTE CRAP !

Last edited:

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Seems to be a WSU problem then, arrived after the commute back from London and no food on the shelves before the match and bigger queues than I can remember seeing last year. Stayed watching the game until the half time whistle and found the queue to be massive. Poorly trained staff to blame I think.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
ESU was a mess after the game, they closed all but 3 tills, causing an almighty que at the remaining 3 tills. Then the idiot of a manager starts to pull the staff off the tills to have a discussion with them about what time they clocked in. Shouts of 'can't you do that after?' were met with a response of 'people have to go home', this was 10 mins after final whistle. The rest of them were just milling around and wiping down tops while the ques took 20mins to get anything. If more tills remained open the ques would have cleared quicker. Alot of poeple got fed up with the ques and decided to leave. Which entirely defeated the object of stay after the game for a drink. It was pathetic and the ESU kiosk was run by an idiot imo. Half time was also a nightmare as debit card readers when down and they again stopped serving. I asked why they didn't still serve on the smartcard, the manager had apparently told her to close the till, even though they still had the capability of taking smart card payments. Very very poor!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The Swan for me and Mrs, Sausage and Onion Bap and a basket of chips, nice and hot and reasonable queues, but why they don't lay on the outside BBQ for midweeks is a bit bewildering.

Into WSL at 7.10 for another pint, huge queues so tried South which was equally bad but just picked a line .... 2 fellas in front with about 4/5 kids been queuing patiently to be told no food at all. That was piss poor imo, not rocket science, and as others have said let the mobiles do it, and teach Azure how to cater for such events

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here