Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Shard

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Awesome link thanks...

Love the building... love the ghurkin too.... London is an amazing city... such a nice blend of old and new

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very nice

With a ladder and some glasses, you can see to Hackney Marshes, if it wasn't for the 'ouses in between.

And if your eyesight doesn't fail yer, you can see right to Australia ...

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
You will not be going up there for hours when it opens. Apparently you will have 15 minutes from when the lift opens. And it is going to be eye wateringly expensive. But even so the view will be fantastic!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
This place had fascinated me since it was first planned, wonderful building, saw it up close, from outside a couple of weeks ago and I will get up it as soon as it's fitted out properly

I watched a programme a few months back about the building of it. When the building that previously occupied its place was demolished cameras had to be placed on all surrounding buildings. Apparently when a building that big is knocked down the ground around it moves. Like a foot print when you move you're from the sand.

Guys hospital moved about two inches.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I watched a programme a few months back about the building of it. When the building that previously occupied its place was demolished cameras had to be placed on all surrounding buildings. Apparently when a building that big is knocked down the ground around it moves. Like a foot print when you move you're from the sand.

Yes that show was amazing, how they started to build up the first floors while at the same time building down to put in the foundations, everything about it is unique right now.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Yes that show was amazing, how they started to build up the first floors while at the same time building down to put in the foundations, everything about it is unique right now.

I forgot about that bit. Some clever buggers out there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The View from The Shard

Bookings from Feb 2013, which is presumably how [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] is booked to see it. £24.95 for an adult, £18.95 for kids. Expensive but worth it on a clear day I should imagine.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton

I saw that too, very interesting. Great bit of Architecture and it's in our capital.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Naturally Prince Charles didn't like it and called it "an enormous salt cellar"

Why this clown is ever listened to on architectural matters, Lord only knows. He hasn't got a clue.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I would LOVE to have an apartment there

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Brother in Law owns the company that designed the opening display thing. Was very disappointing indeed I thought, after talking to him about it they had a huge budget with many more lasers and other stuff planned but budget was cut at very short notice and they pretty much lost money on the thing. He's hoping to get us up there before February but I don't think it's gonna happen as they change their minds all the time. We'll see!

Bloody great link by the way, thanks!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I would LOVE to have an apartment there

I love London for day/weekend out, but would be my worst nightmare to have to live there.

I need to be able to stare at the sea at very regular intervals. Houses everywhere would do my head in.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Great building - but doesn't fit in with its surroundings, damages the skyline somewhat- would be better suited in Dubai rather than historic London.

Might as well build a few more that size to even it out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here