Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Russians - Playing games with us?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
UK Typhoons shadow Russian bomber

_44071786_typhoon_mod203.jpg

Two new RAF Typhoon jets shadowed a Russian bomber heading for Britain, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The jets were scrambled on Friday 17 August to identify the Russian aircraft, which turned back before it reached UK skies.

The MoD said: "RAF Typhoons from Numbers 3(F) and XI Squadrons launched to shadow a Russian Bear-H aircraft over the North Atlantic Ocean."

The BBC's Gordon Corera said the incident was not a security threat.

Active standby

He said a similar incident occurred in July, but that this represented a new, more provocative Russian foreign policy.

Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, has recently resumed the Soviet-era practice of sending bomber aircraft on long-range flights.

Britain's £67m Typhoons were only put on active standby in July.

Typhoons, the RAF's newest fast jet aircraft - which are based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire - cover the UK Quick Reaction Alert (QRA) commitment together with Tornado F3 aircraft based at RAF Leeming and RAF Leuchars.

Over the next nine months, the Typhoons will progressively replace Tornado F3s, the aircraft which have performed this duty for many years.

The Typhoon was designed during the Cold War, when European leaders looked to the Soviet Union as their main threat from the air.

The RAF has ordered 144 Typhoons, which can accelerate from standing to take-off in under seven seconds.

They were developed by companies in the UK, Germany, Spain and Italy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
wouldn't surprise me. We know for a fact that they hack into UK footie forums and post an identical titled thread.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:lol: Damn Russians. Infiltrated NSC :nono:

It is not as if we get many extremists posting on here...Buba?!

Putin is a nasty man and the sooner he is out of power, the better. I wouldn't be surprised if we are on the verge of a cold war type situation if he remains in power.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They used to do this all the time when the cold war was rather chilly

bearintercept.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I trust Putin as far as I can throw him. He's a complete stranger to democracy. He only bows to pressure when all else fails vis a vis the Russian sub that sank that he refused British assistance over, the Moscow Opera House debacle, the school siege. His treatment of dissidents is a complete throwback to the Stalin/Brezhnev/Andropov/Cherenko era. A murderous bastard who will quite happily fuel the Middle East crisis for his own aims. The only things that keep him in check, as far as I can see are:

a: Russian economic woes
b: Chinese and Indian ambitions abroad

A murderous ex-KGB **** of the highest order

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I saw a Typhoon at the Eastbourne airshow 2 years ago. It was the most incredible, agile plane I've ever seen. Stunning.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
The RAF go up and shadow the H-Bombers quite regularly. This is only news because they have chucked up a couple of new Typhoons with a camera.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
It's a compliment though that they see the need to try their neanderthal scare tactics with us.

Don't make us use our big stick from across the Atlantic Putin

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The RAF go up and shadow the H-Bombers quite regularly. This is only news because they have chucked up a couple of new Typhoons with a camera.

Its been happening more frequently over the past few months as Putin is just testing the water ... Watch out for another bout of gas pipeline disruptions too ... All in Putins little book of tricks !

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home

Yeah compare the two phots above and see the difference.
The Russian aircraft is unchanged where as we have gone through three generations of fast jet interceptors.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Yeah compare the two phots above and see the difference.
The Russian aircraft is unchanged where as we have gone through three generations of fast jet interceptors.

If you think about it the USA hasnt changed its bombers either . They still use the B52 for long range ,although they have the stealth bomber too

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bombers aren't essential any more when intercontinental ballistic missiles do the job so well.
That's why Polaris and succeeded by Trident were so important to our defence.

The Russians have always played 'games' We call their bluff.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ah well, I'd better go home and fill the bath with water (and then take the bathroom door of it's hinges and cover the bath with it to stop the radioactive dust getting in.)

I'm so glad I kept my copy of the INCREDIBLY useful and informative 'Protect and Survive' booklet that the government dished out the last time we were worried about the Russians. Anybody free at the weekend to give me a hand turning my cupboard-under-the-stairs into a bomb-proof fall-out shelter?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

exactly what i thought. and any increase in the number of such russian flights are probably designed to prompt the Typhoons into action so they can have a squidge at them.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Russia is a backward country and think that macho military posturing will get them some cheap political points. They never have been able to grasp the concept that it is usually countries with stronger economies (Japan, Germany) that generally are able to get their way.

Russia is a backward country and think that macho military posturing will get them some cheap political points. They never have been able to grasp the concept that it is usually countries with stronger economies (Japan, Germany) that generally are able to get their way.

backward it may be, but it can still send us all to kingdom come if it wants to......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here