Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Royal Pavillion is free on 22nd Jan. I have told the council I'll have it.

Sometimes US invites ridicule whereas hb&b seems to revel in it. The man is a simpleton and I wish it was possible to actually punch one of his posts.

Does anyone know him in real life? Is he really a complete berk or is it just another one of these oh-so-funny online personas?

In Bristol a huge number of public and private owned properties are free for one day a year - "Open Doors Day" and it allows many less well off folk a chance to experience stuff they'd otherwise never see.

Additionally it reignites the passions of the more affluent to enjoy these properties at other times of the year.

To be applauded, IMO.

I'm pretty sure that these are done for tax reasons - it's something to do with the way these places are classified for tax purposes. Perhaps those that open free one day a year can be declared as charities rather than revenue-earning businesses?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'm pretty sure that these are done for tax reasons - it's something to do with the way these places are classified for tax purposes. Perhaps those that open free one day a year can be declared as charities rather than revenue-earning businesses?

I believe that's it. There are a number of rich people who buy pieces of art and claim tax relief on the purchase. To do this they have to make them available to view by the public so they post a relatively small and anonymous advert in the frecklington echo or somesuch, offering free entry to their house for one day in order to view the artworks.

A few years ago there was a group who used to hijack these events and turn up in their hundreds. And they got a list of artworks which had received said relief and so would phone up and ask to come and see it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I believe that's it. There are a number of rich people who buy pieces of art and claim tax relief on the purchase. To do this they have to make them available to view by the public so they post a relatively small and anonymous advert in the frecklington echo or somesuch, offering free entry to their house for one day in order to view the artworks.

A few years ago there was a group who used to hijack these events and turn up in their hundreds. And they got a list of artworks which had received said relief and so would phone up and ask to come and see it.

Mark Thomas on Channel 4 did that. 'Tip off a toff', he called it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And very funny it was as well. He targeted the Rothschild family, but as they did not want Thomas turning up at their house they said he could view it at the bank. Thomas turned up with lots of chums; the funniest scene was seeing a person dressed as a banana wandering around in the background viewing the paintings.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

That was BRILLIANT. I remember that.

Oh and for as long as I can remember the Pav has had free days. I remember once a couple of years ago they had a free day and people in period costume as well wandering around. The kids loved it.

Actually I did too as it was like and episode of Blackadder the Third!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I remember going to this a few years ago when it was a free day for anyone with a Brighton & Hove postcode. Actually I haven't lived in Brighton since 1999, so it's certainly been going for some time, long before the Greens got involved anyway.

I'm not quite sure what the point of the opening post is?

Not being a proper Born and Bred Brightonian, I wouldn't expect Hove Born and Bred to know about this annual event that started under the labour administration, continued under the conservative one and is now being continued by the green led council.
Typical of the LibDems, though. What have they ever done for the people of Brighton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here