Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ronaldo Coca-Cola Thing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No. I just think they should get things into perspective. Happy to play in stadiums where 6500 people have died. Not happy to be associated with a sugary drink.

will be interesting to see if any make a stand by retiring from internationals ahead of Qatar. i bet no one does.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I don't think he ever has been sponsored by Coke or Pepsi?

maxresdefault.jpg

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I always find this argument interesting. You would rather they didn't make a stand/comment/association with anything unless they include a big-ticket item at your discretion.

Personally, I would agree that I would like them to make a stand about Qatar and boycott it. However, the fact that they are not doing that (we assume) shouldn't preclude them from doing other stuff.

Each to their own I guess, we can think what we like about stuff.

And so can they.

I think the point is that someone like Ronaldo has spent most of his adult life making as much money as he can from various commercial opportunities (including soft drink companies) with very little regard to the morality of each deal he has stuck. Now that he has made his billions, it looks to me like a token gesture (or virtue signalling) to suddenly have a problem with Coca-Cola.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think the point is that someone like Ronaldo has spent most of his adult life making as much money as he can from various commercial opportunities (including soft drink companies) with very little regard to the morality of each deal he has stuck. Now that he has made his billions, it looks to me like a token gesture (or virtue signalling) to suddenly have a problem with Coca-Cola.

This argument holds a lot more weight for me. But the one I was replying to was about the Qatar world cup.

I am no Ronaldo fan but as has been pointed out that token gesture (or virtue signal) may have done quite a bit of good in the world.

It has certainly sparked a lot of conversation.

I agree though in terms of being a selfing money grabbing prick it is a drop in the ocean in balancing the ledger.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always find this argument interesting. You would rather they didn't make a stand/comment/association with anything unless they include a big-ticket item at your discretion.

Personally, I would agree that I would like them to make a stand about Qatar and boycott it. However, the fact that they are not doing that (we assume) shouldn't preclude them from doing other stuff.

Each to their own I guess, we can think what we like about stuff.

And so can they.

Exactly.

If someone can convince me this would still be happening if part of UEFA's deal included '20% to be pooled for the players' then I hope it's the start of some really progress with regard to sponsorship.

But they can't.

They can't because the answer to all questions is money.

This isn't about morals, ethics, health, ingredients.
This is about who gains from a multi million pound sponsorship deal.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
My solution: athletes should only be allowed to consume the products that sponsor their event.

Who wouldn't want to see England v Scotland where all the players have been force-fed Heineken for the preceding 12 hours. Or imaging the Olympic 100 meter final, but all the athletes have only been allowed to eat McDonalds for the previous few months.

I recon there is some mileage in this...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My solution: athletes should only be allowed to consume the products that sponsor their event.

Who wouldn't want to see England v Scotland where all the players have been force-fed Heineken for the preceding 12 hours. Or imaging the Olympic 100 meter final, but all the athletes have only been allowed to eat McDonalds for the previous few months.

Make it 50 metres and I might start training.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

The rule may need some finessing...

sports_signage_advertising_perimeter_boards_foamex_dibond_plywood.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good on Ronaldo to use his not insignificant influence to give people food for thought. Maybe if sporting regulatory bodies weren’t in cahoots with such companies or thought twice about accepting gargantuan amounts of sugar dollars so easily without perhaps offering an alternative this wouldn’t even be a debate.

I note elsewhere people have reminded about Ronaldo’s ambassadorships for big oil etc and claimed hypocrisy on his part but frankly doesn’t bother me as he’s chosen to make a stand here.

I’d love it if every player did the same forcing UEFA into an impossible position. I’m not by nature a woke lefty but in this situation where kids are more and more impressionable it would be good if there was a big enough backlash to make them think again about Coca-cola, McDonalds and Heineken as their core sponsors.

Had a holiday in Madeira, once, Ronaldo's birthplace, They worship him like a God there mostly because he never forgot his poor upbringing and has sent loads of cash back to various charities on the island and numerous good causes, having kids hooked on sugary caffeine drinks is possibly not what he wants to see. fair play to him. Although Coca Cola state they want to be a force for good, it should be remembered that sugar has NO nutritional benefits whatsoever.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bottle of Heineken removed by Pogba in those pictures alcohol free Heineken? Therefore not in contradiction with his religious beliefs?

Heineken makes lager so despite the bottle being zero alcohol lager it is still a bottle of"lager".

There is also some debate amongst scholars about zero alcohol lager and some camps believe if the drink is produced in a factory that makes alcohol then that could be seen as haram so should not be drunk.

It's also not as clear cut as "Muslims don't drink alcohol".
I think The Quran does say something along the lines of don't drink anything that can cause loss of consciousness but it also mentions "liquor"so anything that involves the process of making "liquor"could potentially be classed as haram.

The issue has been raised in Malaysia where Heineken have released zero alcohol lager and it has caused some debate amongst Muslims and politicians.
So much so that Heineken released a statement saying something along the lines of" zero alcohol lager is not for Muslims but aimed at those that enjoy the taste of lager but don't want alcohol "

so if Heineken say it's not for Muslims then they can't complain if a Muslim wants to remove it.

I personaly think pogba was right to remove it and sends a good message to Muslims and non Muslims alike, especially the youngsters.

Edit-i must just say I am not an expert or a Muslim these are just things I read and this is just my opinion.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Isn't that Scotland's nutritional diet anyway ?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The key to this being WAS. He’s allowed to grow up, form
an educated opinion and change.

I already mentioned perceived hypocrisy in my original post and said it didn’t matter because he has taken a stand now.

If being a hypocrite automaticaly precluded you from holding or stating, an opinion thene there would be little or no debate about anything of real importance in the world.

Proving that someone like Ronaldo is a hypocrite does not win the argument about his stance on Coca Cola. It merely:

a) proves he is a hypocrite

b) allows you to feel smug and to avoid engaging in the real discussion (being that Coca Cola is fizzy sugary shite manufactured by a global, tax avoiding company that doesn;t give a shit about you, me or Ronaldo and shouldn't be associated with a sport in any way shape or form)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here