Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ROAST POTATOES Appreciation Thread

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Row Z Creased Shirt came round for some dining food yesterday (Fourteenth Eye threw a sickie - the pansy), and cooked some roast potatoes.

If you get them done just right (crispy, golden brown and preferably cooked in goose fat), they are, for me, the best food in the whole wide world. Anyone else share this thought?

How do you like yours done?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
1303_MEDIUM.jpg
:thumbsup:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
One of the best foods I agree but I used duck fat which I suppose is pretty close.

Do you do the par boil then shake the saucepan Delia thing?

On a bit of a tangent here...how can I get to that thread about poached eggs? I wanted to try doing the gourmet's scrambled eggs...but don't know how to find it.

Along with the potato the egg is another magnificent food imho.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
:drool::drool::drool::drool:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of the best foods I agree but I used duck fat which I suppose is pretty close.

Do you do the par boil then shake the saucepan Delia thing?

On a bit of a tangent here...how can I get to that thread about poached eggs? I wanted to try doing the gourmet's scrambled eggs...but don't know how to find it.

Along with the potato the egg is another magnificent food imho.

Yeah, par boil them. Is the shaking thing considered a 'Delia' thing? Or is shaking something Delia does after eleventy pints of heavy and bollocking the N'arch crowd?

If you want to search for that thread, go to the 'Search' button on the blue line at the top of the page. You can work out the rest...

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, par boil them. Is the shaking thing considered a 'Delia' thing? Or is shaking something Delia does after eleventy pints of heavy and bollocking the N'arch crowd?

If you want to search for that thread, go to the 'Search' button on the blue line at the top of the page. You can work out the rest...

Thanks for that...Couldn't see it for looking.

I saw her do it on telly once ahem

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My wife does excellant crispy roast potatoes and she boils some Maris Pipers until the outside is fluffy leaves them to let get cold and then puts them into very hot fat in the oven, they are the best I have ever tasted even better than my mums and everybody says your mums cooking is the best because that is what you are brought up on and expect the food to be like.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Row Z Creased Shirt came round for some dining food yesterday (Fourteenth Eye threw a sickie - the pansy), and cooked some roast potatoes.

:eek::angel::annoyed::angel:

I didnt throw a sickie, i had already eaten

TLO's spuds are pretty damn good tho

Jul 20, 2003
for spuds on Sunday roast some veal bones for a few hours a few days before simmer them for a day for stock stock for gravy.

The fat that's released from the bones is tip top for your roast spuds, Desiree par boiled and scuffed, a bit of sea salt, turn them a few times in the first 20 mins of roasting to get them coated and then bang the heat up to full wack for 15 mins at the end (whilst doing your yorkshire puds) and letting your meat rest.

FACT

Don't use salad potatoes, like Maris Peer.

My wife does excellant crispy roast potatoes ... Maris Pipers
If anyone is confused, don't be.

Maris Pipers and Maris Peers are different varieties. It's the Maris Pipers that you need for Mrs Grandad's excellent crispy roast spuds.

If we lived in Scotland, we'd understand our potato varieties properly. Down here, we are expected just to take what is on offer.

What the hell is a "baking potato"? As far as I can see, it's just an oversized spud, of any variety, that got riddled out of the packing process.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We did a relief in Market Raisen and had some customers who worked on the potato fields in and around there and I was told that the potatoes that they use to make crisps from you can boil hard for 4 - 5 hours and they will still not be soft enough to mash. I do not know if that is fact or bull shit but it sounded right.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Potatoes were indeed excellent but it was the yorkshire puds which were a TRIUMPH!

Wife and I use Brian Turners (chef on BBC) receipe that is:

equal measure of eggs , self raising flour and milk whether it be a cup, a jug ,a bowl or a bucket dependant on quantity required, mix and beat together leave in fridge for 30 mins to cool and put in a preheated oven in a dish that has had oil placed in it and is nearly smoking as it is so hot.

They will be perfect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here