Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The return of Third Class train travel?

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
I travel in 'Lapdance Class', every morning & evening a succession of people squeeze along the new stock rubbing their arses & private parts in my face. That said I'm not entirely sure it's worth the annual 4K membership fee.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about bringing back the old workmen s tickets? In the 50s you cold get a return Worthing to Victoria for 5s (25p) when the standard return fare was £1.00 the conditions were that you had to be in London by 8.00am and couldn't travel home before 7.00pm. This would be ideal for people doing flexi hours working longer hours on a few days and having an extra day off and saving money on fares in the process.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Not sure why capitalist Dave and his chums, still give state subsidies to the railways, it would be nice if I did not have to pay tax on my petrol to work to subsidise rail commuters!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why not turn the clock back even further and go for open carriages for the working class..

If this comes in it will be interesting to see of the travel times revert to pre 1956 levels, as it would mean any trip to London will be quicker than now

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Does anyone actually pay for a first class season ticket. Swear the only people that have 1st class tickets are either train company employees or have it free as a benefit from their company.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Does anyone actually pay for a first class season ticket. Swear the only people that have 1st class tickets are either train company employees or have it free as a benefit from their company.

I don't think you'll find rail employees in FC, but I think that 99% will be getting it as a work perk. Why would anyone pay for it themselves, they're the same seats just 5 foot away, not even guaranteed a seat. The train doesn't run any quicker.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I would think in most cases people would pay a reduced fare eg 50% and stand all the way. My sons went to Wolves on Saturday and should have stood all the way but him and his mates sat in first class and when the jumper arrived she charged them £10 each extra. They would willingly have agreed to stand for a fare less than the £48 they paid.

Well depending on what train they used, they could have booked a seat reservation (for Virgin anyway) and that doesnt cost a thing for scum class. No point moaning about being charged £10 for being in First Class - thats the rules, you have more chance of a seat in FC, only reason why its really used on commuter routes - would be better off scrapping it for Southern so then theres more seats for everyone else.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It wasnt the fact of paying £10 for a first class seat that perturbed them more the fact that they paid £48 and would have had to stand all the way to Wolverhampton. For that price the companies should provide allocated seats for every passenger or restrict the sales of tickets to virtually the same as the number of seats on the train and then make it sit where you can get a seat and stop 1 person taking up 2 seats with their feet up or with bags on the seat.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It wasnt the fact of paying £10 for a first class seat that perturbed them more the fact that they paid £48 and would have had to stand all the way to Wolverhampton. For that price the companies should provide allocated seats for every passenger or restrict the sales of tickets to virtually the same as the number of seats on the train and then make it sit where you can get a seat and stop 1 person taking up 2 seats with their feet up or with bags on the seat.

If its an intercity train, you can reserve seats and there are also unreserved coaches on the trains - was plenty of seats (as far as Coventry) on my 12.23 from Euston on Saturday !! Commuter trains it wont happen on though, as they just want to get as many people to their destination as possible, for example you wont get reservations on the 12.03 to Bedford, but you on the 11.26 to Newcastle. If someone is blocking a seat with feet/a bag - then tell them to fecking move - simple !!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't think you'll find rail employees in FC, but I think that 99% will be getting it as a work perk. Why would anyone pay for it themselves, they're the same seats just 5 foot away, not even guaranteed a seat. The train doesn't run any quicker.

You'll find Beach Hut in first class.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They went up at about 7.30 from Brighton to London and then the train from Euston, I think it was, was the busy one. Given the opportunity they would willingly have paid a lower fare knowing they had chosen to stand.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I've done it for 24 years, and as long as the trains are running and reasonably on time, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, because of it, I do several things I wouldn't normally do, e.g. book reading, newspapers, talking to people I only know through commuting, have taught myself French etc. Besides, I couldn't get a job locally and wouldn't want to live in London, so, no choice.

Apart from the learning French bit I agree with the above. I commute every day and it gives me the opportunity to sit and read, which I just do not bother doing at home. The trains are generally OK but I admit that when there are problems it can lead to utter carnage. I actually quite enjoy the travel but have the promised myself the moment I get fed-up with it then I will look for more local work, but at the moment I am fine.

Just last week I went direct from work to The Amex (which is unsual for me) for the Peterborough game and I found myself sat next to 3 fellow Albion fans!!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Return of?
Bring this subject up with the poor commuter who pays £thousands annually to stand all the way to the capital in overcrowded, poorly designed carriages and they'll tell you 3rd class never disappeared in the first place

this. I do feel sorry for the poor sods who have to get on at say Preston Park and stand all the way to LONDON. Every. Day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here