Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The return of the looney left

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
No, my wages I get from 21hours a week will go on food, essential clothing, shelter and energy.

I will stop buying overpriced alcoholic drinks, DVDs I do not need, video games I do not need, branded clothing which I do not really need, eating out at over priced restaurants and other capitalist 'must have items' that really are not 'must have' by any stretch of the imagination.

I hope this is exactly the kind of stuff you are teaching your kids. It's f***ing depressing how we have become slaves to junk.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I hope this is exactly the kind of stuff you are teaching your kids. It's f***ing depressing how we have become slaves to junk.

I do not think that it even crosses the mind of the students I teach, being rich is the pinnacle of happiness in their minds. Not their fault, that is what society has taught them.

I find it really odd that we often say that a person has 'done well for themselves' because they have money. That person could be a self indulgent, ruthless, cheating wanker but we would say they have 'done well for themselves' because they have money.

On the other hand you could have someone wo is a brilliant parent, a fantastic friend, a warm person etc but is not recognised as doing well for themselves. I know this makes me sound like a hippy fool but it is a really strange situation that success in our society seems primarily linked to money.

It says something when Katie Price is seen to have 'done well for herself' because she has money and is classed as a role model to young girls.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I do not think that it even crosses the mind of the students I teach, being rich is the pinnacle of happiness in their minds. Not their fault, that is what society has taught them.

I find it really odd that we often say that a person has 'done well for themselves' because they have money. That person could be a self indulgent, ruthless, cheating wanker but we would say they have 'done well for themselves' because they have money.

On the other hand you could have someone wo is a brilliant parent, a fantastic friend, a warm person etc but is not recognised as doing well for themselves. I know this makes me sound like a hippy fool but it is a really strange situation that success in our society seems primarily linked to money.

It says something when Katie Price is seen to have 'done well for herself' because she has money and is classed as a role model to young girls.

Completely and utterly agree and see it on a daily basis.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Personally,I enjoyed most of my working life and generally did not mind working long hours quite often away from home.My prime motivation,besides doing my job properly, was providing for my family and with 3 children that is never cheap.I am now retired and although not wealthy,I am secure in the knowledge that I have paid off the mortgage and don't have to worry whether or not we can pay the bills or afford the modest treats that make life that bit more enjoyable.
I have realised that ,having financial security gives one a mental freedom and I find this far more satisying than buying the latest gadget or gizmo that you don't really need!!
P.S. Wouldn't mind a few more bob tho' to buy our favourite team a couple of classy players!!

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This would never work as we live in a consumer society. When the Tories get back in the more likely scenario is the majority of us working more hours so that the toffs can become even richer.

no, people work to pay for the consumerist trappings they think they need and want. you even observe the consumerist society but then drag "toffs" into it. if that make you feel better fine, but really its nothing to do with making others richer, its about people trying to show they are as much or more prosperous than next door.

But here is where the problem is, we as a society assume you need money to enjoy life. Surely TIME spent with children is far more important than how much money you spend on them?

dont disagree with that in principle but just concious of the "quality time" ideal often involves spending lots on material things or trips, excusions etc. sitting in doors with the children watching TV, or playing ludo isnt really likly to work these days.

i find it quite offensive that Price is held up as a role model, especially when theat comes from broadsheets which should know better. there can only be a handful of such celebrities, its nothing to inspire a child as 99.9% will become a cheap imitation and make nothing. we really have got screwed up when the intelligentsia bang that drum.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Surely the first thing we need to do as a society is to get rid of Heat magazine, that would be a start, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here