Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The referee

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If I were a Gillingham fan I'd have been unhappy with the ref too - I thought he was a bit of a homer, which was nice to see for once. Can't speak for the first red, as I was on the other side of the ground, but I thought that generally he gave things our way. Ho hum - we've been stitched up by refs so many times that it was nice to have things run our way for once.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I await Soccer Night on ITV to clarify exactly why it was a red card as could not see from where I was seated yesterday.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
These days a two footed, studs up tackle will get a red card. Kicking the ball away is a bookable offence and as it was that players second yellow he had to go. Maybe some feel it was harsh but that's the rules and they were correctly applied. The ref was right.

In my view both Gills players deserved the red card and let their team down by their actions. The thing I can never understand is why supporters give a player that's just reduced their teams chance of winning a game a big round of applause as they leave the pitch, surely they deserve to be booed off if anything? I would never applaud an Albion player who gets himself sent off by his own stupid actions.

Tellyboy

Jan 3, 2008
Soccer Night showed a good pitchside close-up replay of the tackle. It wasn't two-footed, one leg clearly bent back. It looked like a badly timed slide tackle to me although one leg was definitely over the ball. Red card looked a bit harsh. Not in the same class as Peacock's bone cruncher for Swindon!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Was on SSN earlier that the FA have rejected the Gills appeal against Richards red card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here